Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Morning Glory - Ipomoea purpuria

I tried these about 4 years ago. I grew 3 plants up a south facing trellis,
but only got about 4 or 5 flowers on each. Soil neutral and sloping - so
well drained. Anyone got any advice on how to make them more prolific? TIA

Bertie

--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/

Old 13-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie Doe View Post
I tried these about 4 years ago. I grew 3 plants up a south facing trellis,
but only got about 4 or 5 flowers on each. Soil neutral and sloping - so
well drained. Anyone got any advice on how to make them more prolific? TIA

Bertie

--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/
mm, don´t know..maybe try some rose fertilizer or any feed that encourages flowers. I´m growing ipomoea heavenly blue this year..so i´ll see how they do..
Old 14-04-2008, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"liketogarden" wrote in message

mm, don´t know..maybe try some rose fertilizer or any feed that
encourages flowers. I´m growing ipomoea heavenly blue this year..so
i´ll see how they do..

liketogarden

Thanks liketogarden, my variety is called 'Blues Band'. It's possible that
the soil may be exhaused and too well drained. I've got a mature compost
heap, so I'll add some to the border. Once they're established, I'll try
your rose fertilizer idea.

Bertie

Old 16-04-2008, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 14 Apr, 20:57, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"liketogarden" wrote in message
mm, don´t know..maybe try some rose fertilizer or any feed that
encourages flowers. I´m growing ipomoea heavenly blue this year..so
i´ll see how they do..

liketogarden

Thanks liketogarden, my variety is called 'Blues Band'. It's possible that
the soil may be exhaused and too well drained. I've got a mature compost
heap, so I'll add some to the border. Once they're established, I'll try
your rose fertilizer idea.

Bertie

They like hotter summers and more sunshine than we get in the UK, so
they are unlikely to flower as well as they would do in the US or the
Mediterranean. I'm not sure that fertiliser would help much.
Admittedly, rose fertiliser has plenty of potash to encourage flower
formation but it also has lots of nitrogen to boost leaf growth. I've
a feeling morning glories are similar to nasturtiums when it comes to
fertilising - in a rich soil they'll just produce lots of leaves and
not many flowers. But then, again, I could be wrong...
Old 17-04-2008, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ornata" wrote in message On 14 Apr, 20:57, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
[...]

You may be right about temperature. I grow mine on a trellis, which means
they are exposed to both southerly and northerly winds. Today I mentioned
MG's to a neighbour. She said she had loads of flowers on hers, but she grew
them indoors.
I asked her what compost she used and she said 'general purpose' which I
take to mean peat based, so not much nutrition there. Next time I'll ask her
if she fed them.

Bertie