Old 13-04-2008, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deterring Foxes - redux...

I thought I'd report back on my experience with deterring foxes. In
desperation at what had become the morning presence of 'daily dung' - the
last straw being a fine turd laid in the middle of my ground-based bird
feeder near the house - I invested in the 'Foxwatch' gadget I'd previously
discovered (in the end I got it off Ebay for c.£40). When it arrived I
installed it at the end of my freshly laid and planted raised vegetable beds
at the top of my garden. The following day started off well: for the first
time in over a week there was no sign of a fox near my house. Further up the
garden, however, by the Foxwatch unit itself, 'something' four-footed had
been parading up and down in front of it on the newly raked earth, gone past
it and dug a 6" hole right next to a newly sprouting clematis. I was
instantly suspicious, but at least there were no 'messier' leavings, and I
noticed that the new growth on the tree peony right in front of the clematis
was undamaged. Fox or cat? I wondered...

Next day, more four-footed footprints - again, only on the new beds at the
top of the garden - but a rather unpleasant 'heap' in uncharacteristically
liquid form on one of my new beds, about 6ft behind the Foxwatch. If it was
a cat, why hadn't it buried it, but if a fox, what had it been
eating?...(chicken vindaloo, I speculated..) Atleast I didn't have to scrape
it up off my gravel path, as previously....Anyway, I thought to check the
Foxwatch battery, and having done so found the it was running low - after
only 3 days, when it was supposed to last 3 months. I used a re-chargable 9
volt battery, but it had been lying around for months so I put it on charge
during the day, during most of which it proceeded to snow. (I should mention
that that I'd been out in the garden myself since installing the Foxwatch,
and that since it is activated by any movement, I guess I could have
exhausted the battery myself - it makes a barely audible 'clicking' sound
when the fox-deterring sound is being activated which I'd been noticing.)

In the excitement of the snow, I forgot about putting the Foxwatch out that
night, and the following day it looked like every fox in Kent had been
partying out there over night - including an unmistakable 'message' on the
path near the house, again. In fact, after this I started to be hopeful -
the prints left behind were more profuse than the previous ones I'd noticed,
and the fact that as soon as the Foxwatch was gone whatever-animal-it-was
reverted to its old pattern made it seem likely they were caused by a
solitary cat-with-colic wandering around rather than a bunch of boisterous
foxes.

That night (Monday) I put the Foxwatch back, and to cut a long story short,
there has been no evidence of a fox entering the garden since - despite
seeing one sitting on my next-door neighbour's new heap of grass-clippings
at 6am this morning, which I take to be another good sign.

In conclusion, at the moment I'm pretty pleased with the Foxwatch, but will
report back if I change that view. I might even invest in a Ca****ch, if the
neighbourhood moggies become too intrusive! Now, if only there was a
Pigeonwatch!...

Mark

Old 13-04-2008, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Nicholls" wrote ((huge snip))...
In conclusion, at the moment I'm pretty pleased with the Foxwatch, but
will report back if I change that view. I might even invest in a Ca****ch,
if the neighbourhood moggies become too intrusive! Now, if only there was
a Pigeonwatch!...

I would welcome some cats on our allotment site, lost all our peas and our
sweetcorn to mice last year. Be warned.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-04-2008, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On the mice front try a quick dunk in either paraffin or white spirit before
planting - the seeds that is not the mice!!
Never had any problems since and our garden abounds with mice, voles, rats
etc as ajoins river and meadows.

Regards, Paul ( 50 years of trying to deter various pests)

Old 13-04-2008, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Bernard" wrote in message
On the mice front try a quick dunk in either paraffin or white spirit
before
planting - the seeds that is not the mice!!
Never had any problems since and our garden abounds with mice, voles, rats
etc as ajoins river and meadows.

Regards, Paul ( 50 years of trying to deter various pests)

Done that with White Spirit, yet they still ate the first sowing and it was
only placing sheets of fine mesh wire over the seeds the second time we got
any to germinate.
However, they were not finished with us and when the pods were nearly ready
to pick they removed them all, the pods just disappeared. Later whilst
clearing up other crops, like cabbages, turnips etc, we found piles of empty
pea pods underneath.
We are on the offensive now!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-04-2008, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mark Nicholls
writes

In conclusion, at the moment I'm pretty pleased with the Foxwatch, but will
report back if I change that view. I might even invest in a Ca****ch, if the
neighbourhood moggies become too intrusive! Now, if only there was a
Pigeonwatch!...

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. It is useful to know of
successful non-lethal deterrents. What appears to be the effective
range/area?

--
Robert
Old 14-04-2008, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi all!

"Paul Bernard" wrote in message
On the mice front try a quick dunk in either paraffin or white spirit
before
planting - the seeds that is not the mice!!
Never had any problems since and our garden abounds with mice, voles, rats
etc as ajoins river and meadows.

Regards, Paul ( 50 years of trying to deter various pests)

Anyone any ideas for deterring rabbits?? My large garden is surrounded by
fields on 3 sides and ancient woodland on the other. Been here 9 years
without any problems but this year seem to be invaded by feasting rabbits!
Unfortunately out at work all day so dont get the chance to use my air rifle
on them too much and so they are left in peace to fill their bellies with my
young plants!!

Clive in Kent

Old 14-04-2008, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"robert"
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. It is useful to know of successful
non-lethal deterrents. What appears to be the effective range/area?

According to the box, it detects foxes when they come within 40ft of the
front of the unit in an arc of 100 deg radius. Once activated, the alarm
continues while the fox is within 60ft, then stops. Yet another fox-free
night last night, by the looks of it!.....

Mark

Old 14-04-2008, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Clive in
Kent" says...
Hi all!

"Paul Bernard" wrote in message
On the mice front try a quick dunk in either paraffin or white spirit
before
planting - the seeds that is not the mice!!
Never had any problems since and our garden abounds with mice, voles, rats
etc as ajoins river and meadows.

Regards, Paul ( 50 years of trying to deter various pests)

Anyone any ideas for deterring rabbits?? My large garden is surrounded by
fields on 3 sides and ancient woodland on the other. Been here 9 years
without any problems but this year seem to be invaded by feasting rabbits!
Unfortunately out at work all day so dont get the chance to use my air rifle
on them too much and so they are left in peace to fill their bellies with my
young plants!!

Clive in Kent

Outline silhouette of a bird of prey suspended over the garden? but
rabbit fencing is the only sure way
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-04-2008, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Clive in Kent
"Paul Bernard" wrote ...
On the mice front try a quick dunk in either paraffin or white spirit
before
planting - the seeds that is not the mice!!
Never had any problems since and our garden abounds with mice, voles,
rats
etc as ajoins river and meadows.

Anyone any ideas for deterring rabbits?? My large garden is surrounded by
fields on 3 sides and ancient woodland on the other. Been here 9 years
without any problems but this year seem to be invaded by feasting rabbits!
Unfortunately out at work all day so dont get the chance to use my air
rifle on them too much and so they are left in peace to fill their bellies
with my young plants!!

We get them on our allotment site so everyone has Rabbit proof fencing
surrounding their plots but you have to keep the fences clear of weeds to
ensure the little buggers haven't found a way in.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-04-2008, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Clive in Kent
"Paul Bernard" wrote ...
[...]

Indeed the only solution I have found to rabbits is fencing. A bit of
expense and work, but, hopefully will last for years.
I have found the best thing for mice is cheap spring traps(got mine from
Wilkinson's) baited with peanut butter. Have four traps strategically
placed, caught 3 a day for the first four days, then the odd one. Pity
they are not edible like rabbits! ;-)
Old 15-04-2008, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Nicholls" wrote in message

In conclusion, at the moment I'm pretty pleased with the Foxwatch, but
will report back if I change that view. I might even invest in a Ca****ch,
if the neighbourhood moggies become too intrusive! Now, if only there was
a Pigeonwatch!...

Pigeons can be detered by using something bright red near the stuff you are
trying to protect, I had trouble last year with the bloody things eating the
sprouts before they wre hardly out of the ground, so I put some bright red
tops from peanut butter jars on the ground near the sprouts, and the pigeons
never came near them again.

Alan

Mark

Old 16-04-2008, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan holmes" wrote in message
Pigeons can be detered by using something bright red near the stuff you
are trying to protect, I had trouble last year with the bloody things
eating the sprouts before they wre hardly out of the ground, so I put some
bright red tops from peanut butter jars on the ground near the sprouts,
and the pigeons never came near them again.

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try; I have a few rather fat wood pigeons
round me and quite a few smaller, but more aggressive (and better looking!)
'Japanese Doves'. The latter don't seem to be interested in my vegetable
patch, as yet, but then they might be just waiting for the first shoots...

Mark

Old 16-04-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:14:56 +0100, robert
wrote:

In message , Mark Nicholls
writes

In conclusion, at the moment I'm pretty pleased with the Foxwatch, but will
report back if I change that view. I might even invest in a Ca****ch, if the
neighbourhood moggies become too intrusive! Now, if only there was a
Pigeonwatch!...

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. It is useful to know of
successful non-lethal deterrents. What appears to be the effective
range/area?

Good chance for me to post the veggie alternative to slaughtering so
called pests.

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/ani...st_control.php
Humane animal traps
Most good hardware shops will stock live mouse and rat traps, or will
be able to order them from their suppliers.

If you have no local stockist, humane traps are also available online.
For example, Ernest Charles www.ernest-charles.com sells a range
of humane traps and deterrents.

Some branches of B&Q sell the 'Trip Trap' humane mousetrap (one way
trap so you can catch two). Members of the society have caught several
mice with this (reusable). Bait with chocolate or peanut butter.

CHECK TRAPS REGULARLY - at least every 6 hours, preferably more often,
as mice may die in them if not promptly released.

Ultrasound
There are various devices that use ultrasonic sound to deter mice,
rats, ants, spiders, moles; one model covers all. Harmless to birds,
cats, dogs and people, although might not be suitable for homes with
gerbils, hamsters or other rodents. Can be suitable for home, farm,
office & warehouse use. Available from mail order companies e.g.
Starport www.izola.co.uk tel: 0800 542 5307 or DIY Pest Control
Suppliers (also sell non-humane methods) www.diypcs.co.uk tel: 0845
100 0800.

Humane Deterrents
Ants

Paprika is supposed to be the easiest and best deterrent - sprinkle a
line across the ants' entryway, but be careful where it is sprinkled
because it can stain when it gets wet.
Ants also dislike the herbs pennyroyal, lavender, garlic and a liquid
preparation of ferns. Try liberal applications of these (the more
concentrated the better) on a regular basis.

Aphids & White Fly

Indoor plants - outside, dew and breezes discourage nesting. Try to
recreate these conditions by regular spritzing of plants with water
or, for infestations, 1 litre water, 1/2 tsp dish detergent and 1/4
cup vinegar. You could also try a fan for a few hours a day.

Cats & Dogs

Indoor plants - spraying plant with strong scents such as perfume or
air freshener may help
Liberator Cat Collar Stops cats killing! As the cat pounces a light
flashes & an alarm goes off to warn prey. Available from good pet
supply shops.
Coleus Canina - a plant that is scentless to humans but is effective
at discouraging cats by imitating the smell of a tom cat's urine! Also
effective with rabbits and other domestic animals. Available from
Thompson & Morgan www.thompson-morgan.com 01787 884141 or The Plant
Directory http://the-plant-directory.com 01302 782585

Fleas
We know of no treatments that do not kill the fleas. Try combing out
the existing fleas and repel future insects using one of the following
means:

Tea-tree, eucalyptus, mint, rosemary and lavender oil are all good bug
repellents - try making up a mix and spraying a few drops onto your
carpet.
Xenex - a chemical-free flea treatment available from the vet.
Supplement with vitamins and minerals. Chlorella, klamath lake algae,
spirulina and garlic are all thought to help make dogs and cats less
attractive to fleas.
Denes make a liquid garlic that can be mixed with water and used to
groom through the coat to repel fleas.

Flies

Try burning citronella oil or basil oil near open windows to prevent
flies from entering.

Mice

Prevent all access to food, then - once you are sure that they have
left - ensure that all entry points are blocked
They dislike garlic, elderberry liquid or Crown Imperial
(Fritillaria).
See also humane traps and ultrasound

Moles

A mole repeller is available from Green Gardener, Brook Hill, Brundall
Road, Blofield. NR13 4LB. Tel : 01603 715096 Fax : 01603 716986
www.greengardener.co.uk

Rats

Dislike Cat Nip (Nepeta cataria) the plant cats go crazy over.
Prevent all access to food, then - once you are sure that they have
left - ensure that all entry points are blocked
See also humane traps and ultrasound

Slugs & Snails
Notoriously difficult to deter, but plants can be protected from
decimation using:

The Flowerfortress - a round potholder that is an "effective slug and
snail barrier" for outdoor pot plants. Available mail order from
Ladybird garden Essentials, Ladybird House, 27 Harwood Vale, Bolton
BL2 3QU. £9. 99 plus £2.95 p&p. Or in person for £9. 99 from David
Graham, Tel: 0161 860 4869.
Slug it Out - protective recycled plastic ring that sits around
seedlings or plants, its sloping sides and over-lapping lip keep slugs
at bay. Available from The Natural Collection,
www.naturalcollection.com tel: 01225 404010

Spiders

A spray made with chestnut and clove scents deters spiders.
If you don't like catching them, The Natural Collection has a 'Spider
& Bug Buster' - a battery-operated suction device that allows you to
gently vacuum up spiders, wasps, and other crawling and hovering
insects, and release them outside without harming them. Available from
www.naturalcollection.com tel: 01225 404010

Wasps
No known deterrent.

Some people have harnessed the help of a local beekeeper to move the
nest to a safer site. However, you can remove the nest yourself around
April when it is no bigger than a tennis ball. Place a clear polythene
bag over the nest (with the queen inside) and gently remove it. You
can then super glue it in a safe dry place (e.g. old shed, dry old
hollow tree, etc). Generally speaking they are useful garden insects
and come the Autumn they are likely to abandon the nest.
For the eviction of individual wasps, see the 'Spider & Bug Buster'
above.
A list of vegan insect repellents for human use can be found in the
Animal Free Shopper. Most repellents are based on aromatherapy oils
e.g. citronella.