Old 14-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Registered User

Default growing an avacardo plant

hi i ve mannaged to grow a 2 foot tall avacardo plant from a stone in a pot in my window in the UK,,,, the plant is now like 3 mounths old it has like 10 leaves but no side shoot's ,,,,,,,,,,,,, what i want to know is ........ should i pinch out the growing tip to encourage side shoots to grow of just leave it alone to just grow upwards

thanks
Old 15-04-2008, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

semajjames wrote:
hi i ve mannaged to grow a 2 foot tall avacardo plant from a
stone in a pot in my window in the UK,,,, the plant is now
like 3 mounths old it has like 10 leaves but no side
shoot's ,,,,,,,,,,,,, what i want to know is ........ should
pinch out the growing tip to encourage side shoots to grow
of just leave it alone to just grow upwards

thanks

Depends on what shape you want the plant to be.

Whatever you decide, avocados are fast growers, and within a couple of years
or so you will have a plant which will have outgrown the room in which you
keep it. Best thing to do then is throw it away and start another one from
seed.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 15-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman View Post
semajjames wrote:
hi i ve mannaged to grow a 2 foot tall avacardo plant from a
stone in a pot in my window in the UK,,,, the plant is now
like 3 mounths old it has like 10 leaves but no side
shoot's ,,,,,,,,,,,,, what i want to know is ........ should
pinch out the growing tip to encourage side shoots to grow
of just leave it alone to just grow upwards

thanks

Depends on what shape you want the plant to be.

Whatever you decide, avocados are fast growers, and within a couple of years
or so you will have a plant which will have outgrown the room in which you
keep it. Best thing to do then is throw it away and start another one from
seed.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)
And as an aside it can take upto 12 years or so to bear fruit.
Old 16-04-2008, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day semajjames,

i've currently got one in a 2 gallon pot it has lots of side shoots a
nice shaped little tree so far less than 12 months old and about 1
meter high, so yours should do the same without pinching out the top,
but if you feel that will work better i can't see any harm.

the only thing if it ever mature, which is why i'm giving it a try so
i ahve better knowledge, it may never bear fruit or it may be very
poor quality fruit the results are highly variable apparently.

if you want a fruiting plant then source one ot the newer dwarf
hybrids especially for pot growing.

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:45:10 +0100, semajjames
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev