Old 14-04-2008, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Identification Help

Does anyone know what this type of plant is? We just got this over
the weekend and I would like to find out how best to take care of it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...ant4-08005.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...ant4-08003.jpg
Old 15-04-2008, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 1f2a2d49-a211-4304-9101-
, says...
Does anyone know what this type of plant is? We just got this over
the weekend and I would like to find out how best to take care of it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...ant4-08005.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...ant4-08003.jpg

Not a lot to go on! What made you buy it?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 15-04-2008, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article 1f2a2d49-a211-4304-9101-
, says...
Does anyone know what this type of plant is? We just got this over
the weekend and I would like to find out how best to take care of it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...ant4-08005.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...ant4-08003.jpg

Not a lot to go on! What made you buy it?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Looks like the pond Oxygenator (sp) to me, but out of water and dried off
;-)

Mike

Old 15-04-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/4/08 08:19, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article 1f2a2d49-a211-4304-9101-
, says...
Does anyone know what this type of plant is? We just got this over
the weekend and I would like to find out how best to take care of it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...ant4-08005.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...ant4-08003.jpg

Not a lot to go on! What made you buy it?

Possibly a Prostanthera, do you think, Charlie? Or possibly not! For some
reason I have a mental pic of it with little white flowers but I'm darned if
I know why. Knowing where it came from would help but I'm guessing it might
be a home-grown that's unidentified by its grower.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-04-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 15, 2:00*am, Sacha wrote:
On 15/4/08 08:19, in article ,

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...eryPlant4-0800...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...eryPlant4-0800...

Not a lot to go on! What made you buy it?

Possibly a Prostanthera, do you think, Charlie? *Or possibly not! *For some
reason I have a mental pic of it with little white flowers but I'm darned if
I know why. *Knowing where it came from would help but I'm guessing it might
be a home-grown that's unidentified by its grower.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

We found this in a nursery in Los Angeles -- the shopkeeper told us it
was some kind of fern, but I couldn't find any fern pictures on the
web that resembled it. The pictures are just short clippings from the
plant, which was a tangled mess of very thick growth that was potted
in a hanging basket typically used for ferns. It's actually very
lovely; deep bright green with small leaves on each stem. Fine long
roots are visible under most of the stems.

I didn't see any flowers or buds anywhere on the plant, so it may not
have flowers (or maybe it's not the time of year when this plant comes
into bloom, if it does).

So it doesn't look like any common house plant, then, I guess? The
nursery shopkeeper indicated it would do best with filtered sunlight,
but if he didn't identify it correctly I am not sure he knew what he
was talking about.

I'll look into the Prostanthera on the web and see if it looks like
ours...any other ideas?

Thanks so much.

Old 15-04-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/4/08 17:30, in article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 15, 2:00*am, Sacha wrote:
On 15/4/08 08:19, in article ,

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
[...]

I really don't know what it is but I don't know much about ferns at all.

I'll look into the Prostanthera on the web and see if it looks like
ours...any other ideas?

If it's a fern, it's not Prostanthera! I must admit my husband looked at it
and said it looked like a succulent to him, so take your pick!

Thanks so much.

I'm afraid I'm no help to you but I'll forward your pic to David Poole and
see if he can help. Someone else may well get there beforehand, though.

Old 15-04-2008, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

. Someone else may well get there beforehand, though.

Probably not! The pics seem to have been removed
--
Kay
Old 15-04-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
writes
On Apr 15, 2:00*am, Sacha wrote:
On 15/4/08 08:19, in article ,

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
[...]

I don't think that it's a Prostanthera - the photos don't look like any
of the Prostantheras in my files.

When you were told it was a fern, the speaker might have meant
Asparagus, which isn't a fern, but which gets called a fern. (It's not
any Asparagus I've seen, but the variation in foliage in Asparagus does
seem to bracket your plant.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-04-2008, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/4/08 18:03, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

snip

I'm afraid I'm no help to you but I'll forward your pic to David Poole and
see if he can help. Someone else may well get there beforehand, though.

From David Poole - not a Prostanthera!! ;-))

"It's a Selaginella - a close relative of the mosses and therefore allied to
the ferns as well. *Unfortunately, *I can't be certain of the species and
some idea of scale would greatly help identification, but is similar to S.
kraussiana, which is widely available in the nursery/garden centre trade.
However, it could also be S. apoda - a very much smaller growing species,
forming very tight hummocks at first before spreading out. *A 5p piece
alongside for scale would greatly help.

Being allied to mosses, these Selaginellas relish moist humid environments
and thrive in shade. *Some a quite hardy in the UK although the more
ornamental species are primarily grown as pot plants or used in terrariums
and bottle gardens. *They are easily increased by division of the clumps or
by inserting sections of stem into moist peaty compost. *One group of
Selaginellas is highly drought tolerant and can survive very long periods
without moisture. *These are the 'resurrection plants' and once placed in
water miraculously return to life. *S. lepidophylla is best known for this
although other 'desert species' such as S. rupestris are equally as drought
hardy."

Old 16-04-2008, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 81159ac0-e205-4db5-b376-
, says...
On Apr 15, 2:00*am, Sacha wrote:
On 15/4/08 08:19, in article ,

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
[...]

I am wondering if its one of the asparagus family

Old 16-04-2008, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/4/08 09:35, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
snip

I am wondering if its one of the asparagus family

I think you haven't seen my post that incorporated David Poole's ID of this
plant.
"

Old 16-04-2008, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you so much for your help. I looked up the Saginella species
you mentioned and I believe that it is most likely the S. apoda.
Perhaps the S. krausianna, but I think the leaf shape resembles apoda
more.

Sorry I forgot to indicate the leaf size -- they are very small, about
2-4 mm in length. I've included links to more pictures though these
are not the best quality images. An inch ruler is included to give
you an idea of scale (sorry -- I'm in the U.S. and have no access to
pence pieces).

We are keeping the plant on the ledge in the shower where it gets
moderate filtered light, plus I think the plant will enjoy the
humidity.

Thanks again for your expert help!! It is much appreciated.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...potted4-08.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...tted4-0802.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...tted4-0803.jpg