Old 15-04-2008, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT question for computer-y people

If I went mad and bought an iPhone, could I use it in New Zealand to call
and email to UK? I'm assuming the answer must be a 'yes'!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-04-2008, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 15, 2:03*pm, Sacha wrote:
If I went mad and bought an iPhone, could I use it in New Zealand to call
and email to UK? *I'm assuming the answer must be a 'yes'!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

I've used an Irish mobile phone (Nokia brand) in NZ, so the systems
are compatible.
I can confirm that you *are* mad to be buying an iPhone. There are
other phones on the market that do all that it does, only better, and
at a fraction of the price - or so says my techie other half. And you
do not *need* a super dooper phone in NZ. My old 6310 worked fine
over there. What I did, is that I bought a sim card locally, to use
in my own phone. I did the same in Australia. Much cheaper.
YMMV

Cat(h)
Old 15-04-2008, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:03:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

If I went mad and bought an iPhone, could I use it in New Zealand to call
and email to UK? I'm assuming the answer must be a 'yes'!

Dunno. How does o2 work in NZ?

They are very cute. But they seem to need charging quite a lot. Big
screen and loads of cutesy things to do on them. But if you're after
an emaily phone there are better ones out there - which are a lot
cheaper to run.
You can *coughs* unlock an iphone but apple will spend half your life
trying to trash your phone next time you connect to itunes.

It is a Quad-band GSM phone
Inclusive data and Wi-Fi applies to use in the UK only so I assume
it'll cost you even more to use it abroad. V dear.

"Please note that some of the unique features of this device
automatically use data services. You may wish to turn some of these
services off before you travel, or be fully aware of the charges that
you are likely to incur."

It is probably cheaper to buy a laptop and pay for internet access in
NZ than buy an iphone and use that.

They are very cute though. Although I did get bored of playing youtube
on it after two days. I'm also quite concerned about that big screen
being quite breakable and it's a desirable object to steal too. I won
mine though, I wouldn't have paid for it.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 15-04-2008, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to you and Cat for helping me make up my mind NOT to get one! I was
toying with it because I need a new mobile and as we're going to NZ, I
wondered whether to combine the two. However, as I use my mobile extremely
rarely and find complicated ones terribly irritating (I currently have one
of Chocolate LGs which I hate) I was wondering whether to combine a phone
with having email facilities and now see that I'd be getting the worst of
all worlds! I might consider an Apple laptop but they're expensive and once
I get home I'll hardly use it. Probably!
Any recommendations for easy to use Mac compatible phones working with
Orange will be very welcome.

Old 15-04-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:07:16 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Thanks to you and Cat for helping me make up my mind NOT to get one!

Good decision. B-)

I was wondering whether to combine a phone with having email facilities
and now see that I'd be getting the worst of all worlds!

Reading of short text only emails is OK on a phone, entering anything
througha phones keypad, even with T9, is a right royal PITA.

I have a iPaq PDA, that has a small but reasonable screen and can blue
tooth to my mobile for data if I'm not in a WiFi zone. Entry of stuff on
that is better with the handwriting or letter recognition. Still slow
compared to a keyboard though. Windows Mobile, so has Word, Excel IE and
Outlook.

Donno what the "Blackberry" type things are like for entry with the tiny
qwerty key pad.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 15-04-2008, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Why mac?
You can pick up incredibly cheap laptops at [even] pc world these
days - or other online shops like microdirect.
Old 15-04-2008, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I have an iMac as a desktop computer. It seems more sensible to stick to
that if I get a laptop?

Old 15-04-2008, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote after Sacha wrote:

Thanks to you and Cat for helping me make up my mind NOT to get one!

Good decision. B-)

I was wondering whether to combine a phone with having email facilities
and now see that I'd be getting the worst of all worlds!

Reading of short text only emails is OK on a phone, entering anything
througha phones keypad, even with T9, is a right royal PITA.

I have a iPaq PDA, that has a small but reasonable screen and can blue
tooth to my mobile for data if I'm not in a WiFi zone. Entry of stuff on
that is better with the handwriting or letter recognition. Still slow
compared to a keyboard though. Windows Mobile, so has Word, Excel IE and
Outlook.

Donno what the "Blackberry" type things are like for entry with the tiny
qwerty key pad.

My Nokia 6820a phone has a full but small QUERTY keyboard and although it's
old now I believe they still make similar.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-04-2008, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:49:21 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Why mac?
You can pick up incredibly cheap laptops at [even] pc world these
days - or other online shops like microdirect.

I have an iMac as a desktop computer. It seems more sensible to stick to
that if I get a laptop?

Ahh. Yes I can see the logic in that. (Can you get a mac emulator for
windows?) You could always have fun learning how to use a windows
machine though - asus eee is small, light and pretty. And very cheap.
You only need a browser and email program and they'll do just fine.
Old 16-04-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Why mac?
You can pick up incredibly cheap laptops at [even] pc world these
days - or other online shops like microdirect.

I have an iMac as a desktop computer. It seems more sensible to stick to
that if I get a laptop?

Ahh. Yes I can see the logic in that. (Can you get a mac emulator for
windows?) You could always have fun learning how to use a windows
machine though - asus eee is small, light and pretty. And very cheap.

.... but the Asus eee isn't a Windows machine is it? .... or is that
what you were saying?

--
Chris Green
Old 16-04-2008, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Why mac?
You can pick up incredibly cheap laptops at [even] *pc world these
days - or other online shops like microdirect.

I have an iMac as a desktop computer. *It seems more sensible to stick to
that if I get a laptop?

Ahh. Yes I can see the logic in that. (Can you get a mac emulator for
windows?) * You could always have fun learning how to use a windows
machine though - asus eee is small, light and pretty. And very cheap.
You only need a browser and email program and they'll do just fine.

I had a look at one of these, out of curiosity. They are impossibly
small to work on - keyboard impractical. Mind you, that's a relative
consideration when someone is willing to work with a blackberry type
thingie.

Cat(h)
Old 16-04-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 16, 1:15*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 16/4/08 12:01, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:38:48 +0100, Sacha wrote:

wrote:

Why mac?
You can pick up incredibly cheap laptops at [even] *pc world these
days - or other online shops like microdirect.

I have an iMac as a desktop computer. *It seems more sensible to stick to
that if I get a laptop?

Ahh. Yes I can see the logic in that. (Can you get a mac emulator for
windows?) * You could always have fun learning how to use a windows
machine though - asus eee is small, light and pretty. And very cheap.
You only need a browser and email program and they'll do just fine.

Thanks for that. *I'll have a think about it. *I used to have a pc but am
so Mac orientated now, I'd probably be struggling. *I have until October to
decide or to win the pools - if only I did them. *;-)

You've been struggling with your Mac too )

So you want me to double my trouble? *;-)) *Actually, now I've changed ISPs
I'm finding life a very great deal easier.

The EEE Mogga is talking about is Linux based, so not windows. It is
beautifully simple and cute as a button, but disastrously tiny to work
on. I'd rather spend a few more Euros, and buy a proper laptop -
they're available quite cheaply these days.

Cat(h)
Old 16-04-2008, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/4/08 13:18, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Apr 16, 1:15*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 16/4/08 12:01, in article ,

wrote:

[...]

I think you're probably right! It's taken me long enough to adjust to the
smaller keyboard this new iMac desktop machine has. I was forever trying to
type on the desk itself!