Old 16-04-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tips on stopping cat pooing!!!

On Apr 16, 2:57 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France wrote in ...

Moth balls, break with a hammer into a few pieces and sprinkle around
their usual haunts, they do not like it.

Judith

Can you still buy them? I thought they were forbidden now ...

Mary

I didn't know that Mary, I last bought them at the Co-Op at Norwich
but it was some time ago. Camphor wasn 't it????

Judith
Old 16-04-2008, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:59:59 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:

Can you still buy them? I thought they were forbidden now ...

I didn't know that Mary, I last bought them at the Co-Op at Norwich
but it was some time ago. Camphor wasn 't it????

I thought it was naphthalene, yep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene

Though camphor can be used as repellent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camphor

Naphthalene is not very nice stuff but a google on "naphthalene moth"
produces a few places where you can buy on line.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 16-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Registered User

Location: london

cats can be a nightmare -I know mine can be aright pain. I keep a corner with some cat litter sprinkled on it to make sure my cat goes in our garden and doesnt bother others but I know not everyone does this!

So - water pistol is your fail safe - 3 times or more and the cat will avoid your garden - failing that, get some thread and small sticks and criss cross the thread in small squares or triangles and leave them - it doesn't disturb your pants and the cat will hate it! Doesn't hurt you or the kitty either.

Oh, and the cat scarers only work for about a week, then the cat realises it wont be hurt and will come back so I wouldn't waste your money!!!

Good luck!
Old 17-04-2008, 03:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bashy" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a cat that comes into my front garden and poo's on either the
front lawn, or the front flower bed. I have tried everything the garden
centre has to offer - Pellets, lion dung, spray, gel. I have also bought
a sonic sound thing (which kept it away for a day or so, then it did a
poo right in front of it).
I have tried pepper, cocktail sticks and jeyes fluid buried underneath
the compost.
Has anyone got any ideas. I'm going out of my mind!!! Please don't
suggets getting a dog, the wife wouldn't have it.
Who'd have a sodding cat anyway. I suppose it doesn't poo in the owners
garden though.

Cheers

Can't you rent a cat trap from your local humane society? They can then
keep it until the owner collects it or spay/neuter it and put it up for
adoption.

Old 17-04-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bashy" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a cat that comes into my front garden and poo's on either the
front lawn, or the front flower bed. I have tried everything the garden
centre has to offer - Pellets, lion dung, spray, gel. I have also bought
a sonic sound thing (which kept it away for a day or so, then it did a
poo right in front of it).
I have tried pepper, cocktail sticks and jeyes fluid buried underneath
the compost.
Has anyone got any ideas. I'm going out of my mind!!! Please don't
suggets getting a dog, the wife wouldn't have it.
Who'd have a sodding cat anyway. I suppose it doesn't poo in the owners
garden though.

Cheers

--
Bashy

We have two of the blighters locally, our Staffy keeps them out of the back
garden, the only way I have found of keeping them off the front is squirting
them with water, tokk 5-6 hits before they stopped coming though, but its
certainley worked for now.

Old 17-04-2008, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
On 16/4/08 07:29, in article , "Bashy"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a cat that comes into my front garden and poo's on either the
front lawn, or the front flower bed.

snip

I think your best solution is to Google on the dozens of cat threads we
have
had on urg! One person enjoys suggesting cruel and vicious remedies
because
then he stirs up all the cat-lovers. Others introduce such a thread just
get some form of trolling attention. But in amongst the dross and the
idiots are some personal experiences that might help you. I'd suggest a
water pistol or an always ready hose. But I believe there is now an
automated water jet that goes on when the cat strolls past it. Of course
you'd need to remember to turn it off before you take a turn round the
garden yourself!

Cats are bone idle. They even crap in their own gardens if the weather is
bad.
What they can't resist is freshly turned soil so, if you're prepared to
maintain a small patch of soft crumbly soil, it can save the other parts
of the garden. Who knows, it might even be a good fertiliser

I doubt it is a good fertilizer. I have four cats and I know two of them
crap in their own garden. one of them does her business right on top of a
magnolia bush. so far this year, although it has buds it has not produced
any flowers.

Old 18-04-2008, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Apr, 07:29, Bashy wrote:

Has anyone got any ideas. I'm going out of my mind!!! Please don't
suggets getting a dog, the wife wouldn't have it.

We have a FAQ on that: http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqcats1.htm

I can recommend the use of one of those high-pressure pump up water
pistol rifles. Not only is it effective, it is great fun.
Old 18-04-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Apr 16, 2:57 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France wrote in

Moth balls, break with a hammer into a few pieces and sprinkle around
their usual haunts, they do not like it.

Judith

Can you still buy them? I thought they were forbidden now ...

Mary

I didn't know that Mary, I last bought them at the Co-Op at Norwich
but it was some time ago. Camphor wasn 't it????

Judith

No, naphthalene, we used to use it to prevent wax moth in beehives (when
they were empty of course) but it was withdrawn, I thought.

I could be wrong - it has been known :-)

Mary

Old 18-04-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Well there's a patch outside our garden wall which is strictly the Council's
responsibility but they take none so most householders plant the strips
themselves. I have a lot of small bulbs and recently a local cat has dug
them up. I re-plant and they dig them up again - I've seen it happen a few
times recently.

So at least one of our local cats seems to be happy with freshly turned
earth. The whole strip has been turned every few days anyway (by me) to rid
persistent weedlings.

Mary