Old 16-04-2008, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mowers

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can recommend a good mower.
I have a medium sized lawn (on a hill!) and am finding it very hard work
with my current machine (Flymo vision compact 380). Years ago I had a petrol
flymo hover that was very easy to use although only mulched the cuttings.
I'm really looking for a self propelled petrol model no more than £250. I
hope I'm being realistic and thought one of you kind people would have an
idea of good and not so good ones.

Many thanks

Dave

Old 16-04-2008, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

dave wrote:

I wonder if anyone can recommend a good mower.
I have a medium sized lawn (on a hill!) and am finding it very hard work
with my current machine (Flymo vision compact 380). Years ago I had a petrol
flymo hover that was very easy to use although only mulched the cuttings.
I'm really looking for a self propelled petrol model no more than £250. I
hope I'm being realistic and thought one of you kind people would have an
idea of good and not so good ones.

I bought a Mountfield SP470 last year as a second mower/rough ground
mower for £130. Pretty good it is, well worth the money.
They are regularly on ebay, or mine is up for sale at £75, collection
only just South of Leicester.
Alan.

Old 16-04-2008, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:06:37 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Self propelled are slow! better a motor you push, not too big say 16-18"
cut,

That's fine if you have a flat, short grass, lawn that isn't on a hill. I
can hardly push our 18" petrol rotary across our "lawn", but the rabbit
scrapings, mole runs and the fact it's always cut on the highest setting
probably don't help. As for the paths on hills going down would be fine
up, no chance.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 17-04-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:14:29 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

That's fine if you have a flat, short grass, lawn that isn't on a hill.

I have a steep sloping lawn too, but mow across the slope not up and
down it!

It's still flat in that direction though. B-)

The main problem with our lawn is that it isn't flat the rabbits and moles
see to that. If we mowed it to normal lawn length the grass wouldn't
survive the winter. Barely does anyway, it looks green ATM but thats a
couple of inches of moss with the grass hiding underneath...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 17-04-2008, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 16 Apr, 16:40, "dave" wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can recommend a good mower.
I have a medium sized lawn (on a hill!) and am finding it very hard work
with my current machine (Flymo vision compact 380). Years ago I had a petrol
flymo hover that was very easy to use although only mulched the cuttings.
I'm really looking for a self propelled petrol model no more than £250. I
hope I'm being realistic and thought one of you kind people would have an
idea of good and not so good ones.

Many thanks

Dave

If you can go to around £330, the Honda IZY range are good - I just
bought the 18" Self propelled one and it's great. Light, super
ergonomics. The IZY range is Honda quality though it is their attempt
at a budget priced range. This is my first entry into the domestic
mower market after 40 years of buying and using commercial mowers
professionally.

Electric mowers [email protected] North Carolina 0 30-03-2003 05:08 PM
Greenfield Mowers len brauer Australia 10 30-03-2003 03:08 PM
Do mulcher mowers work? Iain McWilliams United Kingdom 8 29-03-2003 08:32 AM
Riding mowers Pat Keith Lawns 4 27-03-2003 01:32 AM
Lawn mowers Jamangie Kaungla Lawns 0 04-12-2002 09:37 PM