Old 19-04-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

Default Wonderful example of PC interference and down turn in the standard of education

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"OG" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

The preceding article is a piece of fiction - made up for propaganda
purposes and to dupe the gullilble

Oh I see, you don't think the standard of Mathematics has gone down over
the years?

I do

If you wish to argue that point, why not put forward some evidence ?
Or did you think it was a genuine set of questions? You did, didn't you! Oh,
you wonderful wonderful gullible fool! You've just made my day!

Old 19-04-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:44:43 +0100, Anne Jackson
wrote:

The message from "OG" contains these words:
"'Mike'" attempted to enlighten us with:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

The preceding article is a piece of fiction - made up
for propaganda purposes and to dupe the gullible

That's what happens when a stupid person tries to be smart... ;-)

Stupid yes and nothing whatever to do with gardening, but it has been
several weeks since he succeeded in starting an argument and he
obviously thought he was due for one.
We need an FAQ for newcomers to advise them not to deal with this
verminous old fool.

Fair point - apologies.

Old 19-04-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

Evolution of British Mathematics Teaching

1. Teaching Mathematics In 1970
A logger sells a lorry load of timber for £100.
His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
What is his profit?

2. Teaching Mathematics In 1980
A logger sells a lorry load of timber for £100.
His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or £80.
What is his profit?

3. Teaching Mathematics In 1990
A logger sells a lorry load of timber for £100.
His cost of production is £80.
Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Mathematics In 2000
A logger sells a lorry load of timber for £100.
His cost of production is £80 and his profit is £20.

Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Mathematics In 2008
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals nor for the
preservation of our woodlands.

He does this so he can make a profit of £20.
What do you think of this way of making a living?
Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the
birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There
are no wrong answers. ):-(

Mike

None of your examples contain any shred of mathematics. The subject is alive
and well for those who engage in the real stuff. Just check out the many maths
sites Mike. Try e.g. Sizefitter, I will provide you a courtesy key to the program.
Old 19-04-2008, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
AnneJ

Yes Anne, you missed the point as well :-(

Never mind

Mike

I wonder why people are so rude when it's not necessary, life's too short

Old 20-04-2008, 02:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

Old 20-04-2008, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

brian mitchell wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

When I went to school a lot of many years ago, there were no concern
about learning to cope with conditions that I would meet as adult;
that kind of knowledge was considered 'trivial', something you could
always pick up as and when necessary.
Old 20-04-2008, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

So you feel that these other issues are more important than Maths?

I don't think so and I feel that the 'example' is very typical of how we are
ignoring the basics and it is down to Political Correctness.

Even others subscribing to the thread failed to pick up the message. Are
they PC Brainwashed as well?

Mike

Old 20-04-2008, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johannes" wrote in message

brian mitchell wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

When I went to school a lot of many years ago, there were no concern
about learning to cope with conditions that I would meet as adult;
that kind of knowledge was considered 'trivial', something you could
always pick up as and when necessary.

You were taught the 'basics', the 'grounding' of education.

Thank you. My point. PC didn't come into it.

Mike

Old 20-04-2008, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

"johannes" wrote in message

brian mitchell wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

When I went to school a lot of many years ago, there were no concern
about learning to cope with conditions that I would meet as adult;
that kind of knowledge was considered 'trivial', something you could
always pick up as and when necessary.

You were taught the 'basics', the 'grounding' of education.

Thank you. My point. PC didn't come into it.

Nevertheless. The younger people in their 20's that I work with have no shortage
of mathematical skills. Explain that one Mike... It's horses for courses.
Old 20-04-2008, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:11:01 +0100, johannes
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

When I went to school a lot of many years ago, there were no concern
about learning to cope with conditions that I would meet as adult;
that kind of knowledge was considered 'trivial', something you could
always pick up as and when necessary.

You were taught the 'basics', the 'grounding' of education.

Thank you. My point. PC didn't come into it.

Nevertheless. The younger people in their 20's that I work with have no shortage
of mathematical skills. Explain that one Mike... It's horses for courses.

They eat horses, don't they?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 20-04-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

So you feel that these other issues are more important than Maths?

What you call Maths Mike, other people call Numeracy. Mathematics is deeper
and more abstract.
Old 20-04-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather
neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

So you feel that these other issues are more important than Maths?

What you call Maths Mike, other people call Numeracy. Mathematics is
deeper
and more abstract.

Shall we simplify it for you and say, the capability of adding £3.27 and
£17.46, even when written down, without a calculator?

""THAT"" is the point I am making.

Kindest regards

Mike
ps. should you have difficulty in grasping what I am getting at, please do
not hesitate to come back to me and I will try to simplify it even further.

Old 20-04-2008, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather
neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

So you feel that these other issues are more important than Maths?

What you call Maths Mike, other people call Numeracy. Mathematics is
deeper
and more abstract.

Shall we simplify it for you and say, the capability of adding £3.27 and
£17.46, even when written down, without a calculator?

""THAT"" is the point I am making.

No you don't. You were making a point about Numeracy or Arithmetic.
Maths or Mathematics is the wrong word for your examples. Mathematics
is such things like Calculus and Algebra for starters, but is is a
pervasive subject, always has been and always will be. Have you tried
Sizefitter yet? It is free for you; I'm the inventor, author and
programmer.
Old 20-04-2008, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from johannes contains these
words:

No you don't. You were making a point about Numeracy or Arithmetic.
Maths or Mathematics is the wrong word for your examples. Mathematics
is such things like Calculus and Algebra for starters, but is is a
pervasive subject, always has been and always will be. Have you tried
Sizefitter yet? It is free for you; I'm the inventor, author and
programmer.

Johannes, it's best to ignore Mike Crowe. He makes these off-topic
posts so that he can splash his sig. around the net - in the hopes
of enticing people who know no better to attend his reunions.

He also likes to be condescending, as you may have noticed?

He doesn't know the difference between Arithmetic and Maths,
and is too old now to learn. You can't teach someone with a
closed mind, it would be like trying to educate pork...

--
AnneJ

Is that what smoking does to you?

:-((

Good warning for others.

Johannes has been showing himself up on newsgroups for a very long time now
and he is the one best ignored.

Kindest possible regards.

Mike

On-screen interference trojanfoe Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:44 PM
An example of a poster's "advertisement" [email protected] Ponds 9 29-12-2006 02:44 AM
Example of species and genus please Mike United Kingdom 2 03-05-2005 09:03 PM
Another Example of Naughty Fish Owners Benign Vanilla Ponds 9 27-07-2004 05:36 AM
Rubber mulch (example: Rubberific) Ed Greenwood Gardening 0 24-03-2003 06:32 PM