Old 20-04-2008, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

Default Wonderful example of PC interference and down turn in the standard of education

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from johannes contains these
words:

No you don't. You were making a point about Numeracy or Arithmetic.
Maths or Mathematics is the wrong word for your examples. Mathematics
is such things like Calculus and Algebra for starters, but is is a
pervasive subject, always has been and always will be. Have you tried
Sizefitter yet? It is free for you; I'm the inventor, author and
programmer.

Johannes, it's best to ignore Mike Crowe. He makes these off-topic
posts so that he can splash his sig. around the net - in the hopes
of enticing people who know no better to attend his reunions.

He also likes to be condescending, as you may have noticed?

He doesn't know the difference between Arithmetic and Maths,
and is too old now to learn. You can't teach someone with a
closed mind, it would be like trying to educate pork...

He's also unsure of the difference between "wonderful examples" and
"complete fabrications". Whether this is because he is stupid or dishonest
is not yet clear.

Old 20-04-2008, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:22:57 +0100, Anne Jackson
wrote:

[...]

Johannes is an old sparring partner of Mike's. They have had repeated
arguments in several different forums and always disagree on
principle.
I just wish they would BOTH go away somewhere else.
Old 20-04-2008, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:19:53 +0100, Anne Jackson
wrote:

Well, comparing the two, Johannes' head doesn't seem to be stuck
quite so far up his own arse...

I think that's a fair statement, but he delights in winding up Mike,
who is too stupid to see it.
Old 21-04-2008, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

johannes wrote:

When I went to school a lot of many years ago, there were no concern
about learning to cope with conditions that I would meet as adult;
that kind of knowledge was considered 'trivial', something you could
always pick up as and when necessary.

You don't say whether you feel enriched or impoverished by that policy,
but the attitude of "what was good enough for me is good enough for
everyone else till the end of time" is one that evolving cultures
cheerfully ignore.

Old 21-04-2008, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote:

So you feel that these other issues are more important than Maths?

Personally I feel that just about everything is more important than
maths. I need an abacus to add up two plus two and I have to say I've
never found this to be a serious disability.

I don't think so and I feel that the 'example' is very typical of how
we are
ignoring the basics and it is down to Political Correctness.

Ranting hardens the brain. I have resolved to take all my stiff opinions
and use them as garden stakes. They're no good for anything else.

Even others subscribing to the thread failed to pick up the message. Are
they PC Brainwashed as well?

As well as whom?
Old 21-04-2008, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

brian mitchell writes
"'Mike'" wrote:

So you feel that these other issues are more important than Maths?

Personally I feel that just about everything is more important than
maths. I need an abacus to add up two plus two and I have to say I've
never found this to be a serious disability.

That is not maths, that is arithmetic.

--
Kay

On-screen interference trojanfoe Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:44 PM
An example of a poster's "advertisement" [email protected] Ponds 9 29-12-2006 02:44 AM
Example of species and genus please Mike United Kingdom 2 03-05-2005 09:03 PM
Another Example of Naughty Fish Owners Benign Vanilla Ponds 9 27-07-2004 05:36 AM
Rubber mulch (example: Rubberific) Ed Greenwood Gardening 0 24-03-2003 06:32 PM