GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bay trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173216-bay-trees.html)

BillNe 19-04-2008 12:15 PM

Bay trees

We've two bay trees in large tubs, both trees of the "ball head" standard type. They are about 7 years old (at least we bought them 5 years ago), and I suppose about 3 foot 6 high from soil.
One looks good, is still a ball and has lots of flowers; the other is gappy, with next to no flowers. The latter one is straggly and has a bigger but more asymmetrical head of leave.
Both are side-by-side- actually about 5 feet apart, and have been swapped in position (just in case).
The only care they've had is water and occasional liquid fertilizer- never been repotted.
Should I prune (judiciously), repot in bigger pots, give up and buy new ones? Any adfvice welcome!

Paul Luton[_2_] 19-04-2008 09:21 PM

Bay trees

BillNe wrote:
We've two bay trees in large tubs, both trees of the "ball head"
standard type. They are about 7 years old (at least we bought them 5
years ago), and I suppose about 3 foot 6 high from soil.
One looks good, is still a ball and has lots of flowers; the other is
gappy, with next to no flowers. The latter one is straggly and has a
bigger but more asymmetrical head of leave.
Both are side-by-side- actually about 5 feet apart, and have been
swapped in position (just in case).
The only care they've had is water and occasional liquid fertilizer-
never been repotted.
Should I prune (judiciously), repot in bigger pots, give up and buy new
ones? Any adfvice welcome!

Hmm - Bay Trees Flowers ??. If you want a ball you will definitely need
to prune.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames