Old 19-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Registered User

Location: South East Essex
Default Bay trees

We've two bay trees in large tubs, both trees of the "ball head" standard type. They are about 7 years old (at least we bought them 5 years ago), and I suppose about 3 foot 6 high from soil.
One looks good, is still a ball and has lots of flowers; the other is gappy, with next to no flowers. The latter one is straggly and has a bigger but more asymmetrical head of leave.
Both are side-by-side- actually about 5 feet apart, and have been swapped in position (just in case).
The only care they've had is water and occasional liquid fertilizer- never been repotted.
Should I prune (judiciously), repot in bigger pots, give up and buy new ones? Any adfvice welcome!
Old 19-04-2008, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BillNe wrote:
We've two bay trees in large tubs, both trees of the "ball head"
standard type. They are about 7 years old (at least we bought them 5
years ago), and I suppose about 3 foot 6 high from soil.
One looks good, is still a ball and has lots of flowers; the other is
gappy, with next to no flowers. The latter one is straggly and has a
bigger but more asymmetrical head of leave.
Both are side-by-side- actually about 5 feet apart, and have been
swapped in position (just in case).
The only care they've had is water and occasional liquid fertilizer-
never been repotted.
Should I prune (judiciously), repot in bigger pots, give up and buy new
ones? Any adfvice welcome!

Hmm - Bay Trees Flowers ??. If you want a ball you will definitely need
to prune.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Recommendations for patio trees in Bay Area CA? Charles Eubanks Gardening 2 12-04-2004 11:02 AM
Bay Trees Andy Sanson United Kingdom 13 25-11-2003 12:14 AM
Standard bay trees Jim Paterson United Kingdom 0 03-08-2003 06:42 PM
Bay Trees AndWhyNot United Kingdom 25 07-07-2003 09:20 AM
Standard Bay Trees Camilla Peake United Kingdom 4 18-03-2003 12:08 PM