GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice on Mountfield 1436S mower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173217-advice-mountfield-1436s-mower.html)

noel967 19-04-2008 02:45 PM

Advice on Mountfield 1436S mower

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how to solve my problem with my mower??
I have a mountfield 1436S tractor mower thats now going into its third season but the thing wont start!
Last season i returned it to the store where i bought it because the starter solenoid had went which was fixed and replaced but now that its out of warranty i thought id try and sort the prob myself.
When i turn the key the lights come on so i know thats there is power at least, i have tried to isolate all the cut off switches one by one but so far i have only found 6 different points.
Can anyone offer anymore wisdom??

Many Thanks

Noel

Pete C[_2_] 19-04-2008 05:27 PM

noel967 wrote:
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how to solve my
problem with my mower??
I have a mountfield 1436S tractor mower thats now going into its third
season but the thing wont start!
Last season i returned it to the store where i bought it because the
starter solenoid had went which was fixed and replaced but now that
its out of warranty i thought id try and sort the prob myself.
When i turn the key the lights come on so i know thats there is power
at least, i have tried to isolate all the cut off switches one by one
but so far i have only found 6 different points.
Can anyone offer anymore wisdom??

Many Thanks

Noel

Back to basics. Been stored all winter??
Empty fuel tank and refill with fresh fuel.
Carb may need a strip and clean.......... best left to dealer if you're not
able.
I don't know the Briggs and Stratton engine, so can only generalise. Remove
fuel pipe from carb and check flow.
Charge battery.
Is there a spark at the plug?

--
Pete C
London UK

Gary Woods 19-04-2008 05:45 PM

noel967 wrote:

When i turn the key the lights come on so i know thats there is power
at least, i have tried to isolate all the cut off switches one by one
but so far i have only found 6 different points.

Does it crank but no fire, or no cranking?
Do the lights go out (or dim considerably) when you try to crank? This
could indicate a bad/discharged battery or the poor connections others
mentioned.
I always hang a little trickle charger on my lawn tractor battery the day
before I want to fire it up in the spring, as a kindness.