Old 19-04-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default first early potatoes

Hi,

I posted some first early potatoes (red duke of York) in March but
there's no sign of any growth yet. Is this normal or has something
gone horribly wrong? Shortly after I planted them, we had that weekend
of snow. Although it didn't hang around long before melting, could the
cold have damaged them?

Thanks.
Old 19-04-2008, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fred wrote:
Hi,

I posted some first early potatoes (red duke of York) in March but
there's no sign of any growth yet. Is this normal or has something
gone horribly wrong? Shortly after I planted them, we had that weekend
of snow. Although it didn't hang around long before melting, could the
cold have damaged them?

Thanks.

You must have posted them by Royal Mail, no wonder they have not turned
up yet. :-)
I planted a few under fleece, they have yet to show their faces, judging
by today's weather they are quite right to stay in bed.
Old 19-04-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Apr, 09:34, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I posted some first early potatoes (red duke of York) in March but
there's no sign of any growth yet. Is this normal or has something
gone horribly wrong? Shortly after I planted them, we had that weekend
of snow. Although it didn't hang around long before melting, could the
cold have damaged them?

Thanks.

My first's were planted in mid feb and only have 1/2 to 1 inch peeping
out - hang in there!
Old 19-04-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fred" wrote
I posted some first early potatoes (red duke of York) in March but
there's no sign of any growth yet. Is this normal or has something
gone horribly wrong? Shortly after I planted them, we had that weekend
of snow. Although it didn't hang around long before melting, could the
cold have damaged them?

Thank goodness ours aren't showing yet either, don't want them frosted.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-04-2008, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

I posted some first early potatoes (red duke of York) in March but
there's no sign of any growth yet. Is this normal or has something
gone horribly wrong? Shortly after I planted them, we had that weekend
of snow. Although it didn't hang around long before melting, could the
cold have damaged them?

Just try to a little bit patient!

Thanks.

Old 22-04-2008, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fred wrote:

I posted some first early potatoes (red duke of York) in March but
there's no sign of any growth yet. Is this normal or has something
gone horribly wrong?

No - it's just a bit colder than last year.

Shortly after I planted them, we had that weekend
of snow. Although it didn't hang around long before melting, could the
cold have damaged them?

It could have if the shoots had emerged, but safe under the soil, they
should be fine. I predict you'll see something this week if it warms up
as expected...

One row of my Pentland Javelin planted on 21st March just emerged from
under their black plastic on Saturday.

Peter

First Early Potatoes jb United Kingdom 5 25-06-2007 06:35 PM
First first early spuds Peter Robinson United Kingdom 12 25-05-2007 09:13 PM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 01:58 AM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 12:58 AM
First Early potatoes Colin A Jacobs United Kingdom 2 19-01-2003 05:36 PM