GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Using water that has been boiled for watering pot plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173296-using-water-has-been-boiled-watering-pot-plants.html)

Stefan 20-04-2008 09:22 PM

Using water that has been boiled for watering pot plants

anyone has any idea if it is a wise idea to use water that has been
boiled for watering pot plants? I drink quite a lot of tee and there's
always some water left in my kettle. shouldn't that bee a good thing
since the water should contain less lime?

Ornata 21-04-2008 10:05 AM

Using water that has been boiled for watering pot plants

On 20 Apr, 22:54, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Stefan contains these words:

anyone has any idea if it is a wise idea to use water that has
been boiled for watering pot plants? I drink quite a lot of tee
and there's always some water left in my kettle. shouldn't that
bee a good thing since the water should contain less lime?

I use rainwater or spring water for my houseplants; since
I live in a soft water area, so I really can't advise you.

Not much help to the OP, then.

I also know exactly how much water to put in the kettle for two or
four cups of tea, so I never boil water to leave in the kettle. *

Good point. But there's usually at least a small amount of water left
over which can be decanted into a watering-can each time for later
use. And yes, Stefan, on the whole it is a good idea to use boiled
water on your houseplants as some of the carbonates will have
precipitated out of the solution (and onto the inside of your kettle).

Derek 23-04-2008 08:21 PM

"Ornata" wrote in message
[...]

And of course any chlorine used in the treatment works will have been driven
off
Derek