Old 21-04-2008, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default daffodill bulbs

I'm no gardener but have had the unfortunate task of tending my
father's grave. I planted some daff bulbs last autumn and had a
beautiful display but the flowers are now dying off. I shall soon be
re-planting with summer plants. Should I save the daff bulbs for next
year, or shoud they be discarded and buy new ones again in the autumn?
Old 21-04-2008, 11:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Grouchy.Oldgit wrote
I'm no gardener but have had the unfortunate task of tending my
father's grave. I planted some daff bulbs last autumn and had a
beautiful display but the flowers are now dying off. I shall soon be
re-planting with summer plants. Should I save the daff bulbs for next
year, or shoud they be discarded and buy new ones again in the autumn?

I planted some on my Mums grave near the S. coast years ago and they come up
year on year, I also planted some "Glory of the Snow" and after the first
clump got stolen they grew well but the over enthusiastic early strimming of
the grave by the workmen saw to them. They could see and miss the Daff
leaves but not those of the little bulbs.
No point in planting summer stuff due to the strimming.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-04-2008, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

I'm no gardener but have had the unfortunate task of tending
my
father's grave. I planted some daff bulbs last autumn and had
beautiful display but the flowers are now dying off. I shall
soon be
re-planting with summer plants. Should I save the daff bulbs
for next
year, or shoud they be discarded and buy new ones again in
the autumn?

If you don't dig them up, make sure to cut off the flower heads
once they start to wither. This encourages them to put their
strength into the bulb. If you leave the flowers they put their
strength into setting seed.

Old 21-04-2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/20/2008 4:45 PM, Charlie wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:09:09 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I'm no gardener but have had the unfortunate task of tending my
father's grave. I planted some daff bulbs last autumn and had a
beautiful display but the flowers are now dying off. I shall soon be
re-planting with summer plants. Should I save the daff bulbs for
next year, or shoud they be discarded and buy new ones again in the
autumn?
Just leave 'em be. They will be back, year after year.

I'm sorry for your loss, whenever it was.

Care
Charlie

Daffodills are quite hardy. They will survive most winters, even with
snow and freezing weather. Just plant summer annuals over them
without digging them up.

The one problem you might have is if the cemetary maintenance crew
mows over your father's grave. Cutting the daffodill foliage before
it turns yellow and dies will weaken the bulbs. If this happens, you
might as well dig up the bulbs and trash them.

I thought you could dig them up, with tops, store in a paper bag in the dark
until tops die off, and replant next year? Or am I getting confused?

Probably you are confused. It is necessary for the plants to remain in a
normal growing state with roots and foliage intact so that they can support
bulb growth which is what makes the new plants and flowers the next Spring.
As soon as the plant has finished this process the foliage dies back and
all that remains is the bulb (or bulbs) under the ground. Typically one can
plant annuals around the remaining daffodil foliage to make it less obvious
but even if the bulb is to be dug and re-planted in the Autumn it is
necessary for the plant to go through its "recharging" routine to produce
healthy bulbs. I normally clip the spent flower stem right after the flower
fades to make the plants look less ragged but I would never remove any
undiseased leaves.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 21-04-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

John McGaw wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Thank you John
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 21-04-2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 20, 7:09�pm, wrote:
I'm no gardener but have had the unfortunate task of tending my
father's grave. I planted some daff bulbs last autumn and had a
beautiful display but the flowers are now dying off. I shall soon be
re-planting with summer plants. Should I save the daff bulbs for next
year, or shoud they be discarded and buy new ones again in the autumn?

Daffodils are very hardy and resiliant... unless you're going to enter
a daff contest for best of show there's no need to do anything and
they will continue to thrive and produce more and more year after
year... even if you mow them before the flowers fade once established
they will do just fine. You need to concern yourself more with
critters ravaging daffs, deer and rabbits won't eat them but squirrels
and chipmonks love them... still most will live on.

Old 22-04-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

John McGaw said:

wrote:

[...]

No, that would be you. =) They will do fine, and even thrive, when done as
Pete C questioned. We dug up thousands last spring, after they finished
blooming. Laid them all out under an overhang to finish yellowing/drying,
cut the foilage off, and stored them in bulb crates under a bench at work.
I brought home several hundred last fall, and /every one/ of them is still
in full bloom (3 weeks now). The rest, re-planted at work, are also
thriving.

It is necessary for the plants to remain in a
normal growing state with roots and foliage intact so that they can support
bulb growth which is what makes the new plants and flowers the next Spring.

The roots, at that time, are playing a very minor role. The food is all
being sent back down to the bulb for storage. It's being made in the
leaves, not the roots.

As soon as the plant has finished this process the foliage dies back and
all that remains is the bulb (or bulbs) under the ground. Typically one can
plant annuals around the remaining daffodil foliage to make it less obvious
but even if the bulb is to be dug and re-planted in the Autumn it is
necessary for the plant to go through its "recharging" routine to produce
healthy bulbs. I normally clip the spent flower stem right after the flower
fades to make the plants look less ragged but I would never remove any
undiseased leaves.

And, they wouldn't be removed if dug up, intact. They'll still produce
food, and you don't have the ragged, yellowed foilage in the bed.

Yup, you can plant around them. You can also dig them up, just fine.

--

Eggs

Most books now say our sun is a star. But it still knows how to change back
into a sun in the daytime.

Old 22-04-2008, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On 4/21/2008 3:07 PM, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
John McGaw said:

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps in England (where the original poster apparently lives), roots
might not be important in allowing nutrients to migrate into the bulb.

In my climate, the relative humidity tends to be much lower (21% at
noon). Without roots supplying moisture, the leaves would prematurely
wilt and shrivel before they could complete their task. Also, leaving
the bulbs in the ground through the summer keeps them cool; summer
temperatures here often exceed 90F and even 100F.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 22-04-2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
snip...
The roots, at that time, are playing a very minor role. The food is all
being sent back down to the bulb for storage. It's being made in the
leaves, not the roots.

snip...

Guess we'll just have to disagree. It is amazing that you would claim that
the plant's roots are "minor" given that this is the only way they absorb
water and nutrients. Sure, photosynthesis is happening in the leaves but
without water and soil nutrients nothing useful is going to be happening
since it doesn't operate on atmospheric C02 alone. I will remain with the
position that for best results the plants should stay exactly where they
are until the foliage dies back. It is a minor drawback since daffodils
don't hold onto their foliage all that long and can be easily screened from
view.

Granted, the plants are amazingly tough and might well survive the
treatment you describe but if it was the way to produce best-quality bulbs
I'd expect the big growers to be doing it that way to save time. The Dutch
growers would be able to put their new crop in the warehouses in April and
spend the rest of the year sunning themselves in Majorca.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 23-04-2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

John McGaw said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
snip...
The roots, at that time, are playing a very minor role. The food is all
being sent back down to the bulb for storage. It's being made in the
leaves, not the roots.

snip...

Guess we'll just have to disagree.

No problem. I leave my bulbs at home in the ground, year round, cutting
yellowing foilage as it appears. A bit time-consuming (there are seveal
thousand bulbs), but the beds stay looking fairly fresh. My point was, it
*is* fine to dig the bulbs up, lay them in a cool place to finish, and then
remove the foilage. Planted that fall, they'll produce fine the following
spring.

It is amazing that you would claim that
the plant's roots are "minor" given that this is the only way they absorb
water and nutrients. Sure, photosynthesis is happening in the leaves but
without water and soil nutrients nothing useful is going to be happening
since it doesn't operate on atmospheric C02 alone.

When bulb foilage begins to yellow, the roots are /not/ taking in water. If
they're not taking in water, they're also *not* taking up nutrients. When
the bulb finishes flowering, the roots are done, and begin to die off, same
as the foilage. All food production is taking place above ground, and that
food is being sent to the bulb for dormancy survival, and the following
season's growth.

I will remain with the
position that for best results the plants should stay exactly where they
are until the foliage dies back. It is a minor drawback since daffodils
don't hold onto their foliage all that long and can be easily screened from
view.

Again, there's nothing wrong with that method. Pete C's question was of
digging them up (fine), storing them "in a paper bag in the dark until tops
die off" (BAD idea). Lose the paper bag, and it will work, with no
ill-effects.

Granted, the plants are amazingly tough and might well survive the
treatment you describe but if it was the way to produce best-quality bulbs
I'd expect the big growers to be doing it that way to save time. The Dutch
growers would be able to put their new crop in the warehouses in April and
spend the rest of the year sunning themselves in Majorca.

Having never visited a "big grower", much less one in Holland, I can't
comment on their production methods. Were you to ask one of them about the
inner-workings of a bulb, and just what happens during it's life-cycle, I
bet they'd tell you the same thing I stated above.
--

Eggs

Do Amish people get one phone call when arrested?
Old 23-04-2008, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

John McGaw said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
snip...
[...]

Guess you guys know daffodils are toxic, Some bulbs mixed with young
onions would not be easy to discern not good. Sort of a text for
murder she wrote.

Standard Major Disclaimer.

So Charlie and Billy when shall we party?

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 23-04-2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

John McGaw said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
snip...
[...]

You're not bring the onion dip are ya? Other than that, just let me get
the cork out'en the bottle.
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related

daffodill bulbs [email protected] Gardening 31 25-04-2008 04:12 AM
Missing Daffodill Blooms Jack Ouzzi United Kingdom 2 23-04-2005 08:32 AM
Spring Bulbs Greg Gardening 2 04-02-2003 03:48 AM
SPAM ALERT an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets animaux Gardening 0 30-01-2003 03:52 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Gardening 0 29-01-2003 10:55 PM