GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173334-garlic.html)

judith[_4_] 21-04-2008 11:39 AM

Garlic

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.

Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)

Should I feed them?

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 21-04-2008 02:03 PM

Garlic

In article ,
says...

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.

Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)

Should I feed them?

I think weather related, mine are just up and looking a bit jaded!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_155_] 21-04-2008 02:13 PM

Garlic

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.

Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)

Should I feed them?

I think weather related, mine are just up and looking a bit jaded!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

If it's anything like mine, they have a touch of rust but I still get a
decent enough amount of useable garlic

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Wally[_3_] 21-04-2008 11:33 PM

Garlic

"judith" wrote in message

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.

Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)

Should I feed them?

Like you Judith, I am growing garlic for the first time.
I bought some from the market last year, split it up and planted
it last Autumn.
It looked a bit sorry for itself over the Winter but and has now
picked up and is looking quite healthy.
Don't know what it's like under the surface though.

Wally

Bob Hobden 22-04-2008 12:01 AM

Garlic

"judith" wrote
Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.

Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)

Should I feed them?

I hate to say this but ours is about a foot high and has, as usual, come
through the winter quite untroubled. It's now growing away nicely.
Can't imagine the weather having the effect you mention, it's as tough as
old boots.
I think you might have a case of Rust, quite common on Garlic but much later
in the season usually, it also usually doesn't do much damage although in
this case it is early and I have known someone lose the crop because of it
in the past.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Wally[_3_] 22-04-2008 12:11 AM

Garlic

I hate to say this but ours is about a foot high and has, as usual, come
through the winter quite untroubled. It's now growing away nicely.
Can't imagine the weather having the effect you mention, it's as tough as
old boots.
I think you might have a case of Rust, quite common on Garlic but much
later in the season usually, it also usually doesn't do much damage
although in this case it is early and I have known someone lose the crop
because of it in the past.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Mine is as yours about a foot high and looking good, but as I
have never grown it before, when is the time for harvesting. ?

Wally

Bob Hobden 22-04-2008 12:59 AM

Garlic

"Wally" wrote
I hate to say this but ours is about a foot high and has, as usual, come
through the winter quite untroubled. It's now growing away nicely.
Can't imagine the weather having the effect you mention, it's as tough as
old boots.
I think you might have a case of Rust, quite common on Garlic but much
later in the season usually, it also usually doesn't do much damage
although in this case it is early and I have known someone lose the crop
because of it in the past.

Mine is as yours about a foot high and looking good, but as I
have never grown it before, when is the time for harvesting. ?

June, maybe early July, but you have to be careful as if you don't get it up
at the right time it will start to expand into it's cloves ready to start
growing again. Look for signs of browning leaves, but don't confuse that
with Rust, and scrape away some soil from around a head to see it's grown
OK. Some send up a flower spike as a sign it's about ready.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Wally[_3_] 22-04-2008 02:04 AM

[...]