Old 21-04-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bindweed

Dear NG,

Last year I cut back a shrub with a mature diameter of 10 feet right down to
the core! It was infested with bindweed and had outgrown its site. It is
now a happy healthy stump but the bindweed is rearing its ugly head again!
What is a good weedkiller that will kill bindweed, not the shrub and not the
grass (the latter not too much of a prob as there is no grass growing in 5ft
radius)?

Went into my local DIY/Garden Centre and failed to be convinced by what I
read off the labels.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old 21-04-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baal wrote:

Dear NG,

Last year I cut back a shrub with a mature diameter of 10 feet right down to
the core! It was infested with bindweed and had outgrown its site. It is
now a happy healthy stump but the bindweed is rearing its ugly head again!
What is a good weedkiller that will kill bindweed, not the shrub and not the
grass (the latter not too much of a prob as there is no grass growing in 5ft
radius)?

Went into my local DIY/Garden Centre and failed to be convinced by what I
read off the labels.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Try Tumbleweed when it is growing vigorously - gather up the stems and
tie them into a plastic bag containing the solution - you may need to
repeat this as it is a persistent ba****d

Malcolm
Old 21-04-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Apr, 23:12, Malcolm Race wrote:
Baal wrote:
Dear NG,

Last year I cut back a shrub with a mature diameter of 10 feet right down to
the core! It was infested with bindweed and had outgrown its site. It is
now a happy healthy stump but the bindweed is rearing its ugly head again!
What is a good weedkiller that will kill bindweed, not the shrub and not the
grass (the latter not too much of a prob as there is no grass growing in 5ft
radius)?

Went into my local DIY/Garden Centre and failed to be convinced by what I
read off the labels.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Try Tumbleweed when it is growing vigorously - gather up the stems and
tie them into a plastic bag containing the solution - you may need to
repeat this as it is a persistent ba****d

Malcolm

Malcolm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is patented, it's the
Judith Lea method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judith
Old 22-04-2008, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baal" wrote
Last year I cut back a shrub with a mature diameter of 10 feet right down
to the core! It was infested with bindweed and had outgrown its site. It
is now a happy healthy stump but the bindweed is rearing its ugly head
again! What is a good weedkiller that will kill bindweed, not the shrub
and not the grass (the latter not too much of a prob as there is no grass
growing in 5ft radius)?

Went into my local DIY/Garden Centre and failed to be convinced by what I
read off the labels.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

There is a weedkiller on the market that is a thick paste which you brush
on, can't remember the name but it's widely available, it gets down into the
roots and kills the whole plant (as long as you don't clear away the dying
top growth too soon)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-04-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Apr, 00:02, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Baal" wrote Last year I cut back a shrub with a mature diameter of 10 feet right down
to the core! It was infested with bindweed and had outgrown its site. It
is now a happy healthy stump but the bindweed is rearing its ugly head
again! What is a good weedkiller that will kill bindweed, not the shrub
and not the grass (the latter not too much of a prob as there is no grass
growing in 5ft radius)?

Went into my local DIY/Garden Centre and failed to be convinced by what I
read off the labels.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

There is a weedkiller on the market that is a thick paste which you brush
on, can't remember the name but it's widely available, it gets down into the
roots and kills the whole plant (as long as you don't clear away the dying
top growth too soon)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Tumbleweed gel.

Judith

Old 22-04-2008, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Apr, 09:20, AriesVal wrote:
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:16:54 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On 22 Apr, 00:02, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[20 quoted lines suppressed]

Tumbleweed gel.

Judith

thanks Judith, I didn't know of that before
--
Beautiful young people are accidents of nature,
But beautiful old people are works of art.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

You're welcome Val. Did you have a great time in Italy and did you
bring home some tomato seeds?

Judith
Old 22-04-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baal" wrote in message
Dear NG,

Last year I cut back a shrub with a mature diameter of 10 feet right down
to the core! It was infested with bindweed and had outgrown its site. It
is now a happy healthy stump but the bindweed is rearing its ugly head
again! What is a good weedkiller that will kill bindweed, not the shrub
and not the grass (the latter not too much of a prob as there is no grass
growing in 5ft radius)?

Went into my local DIY/Garden Centre and failed to be convinced by what I
read off the labels.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

My opinion is that it isn't ugly, if it were a rare plant we'd all want it.

My experience is that when we moved here forty odd years ago the fence on
one side of the garden was covered with bindweed. I pulled it up manually
for about two years and it stopped growing.

Mary

Old 22-04-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/4/08 16:03, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Baal" wrote in message
Dear NG,

Last year I cut back a shrub with a mature diameter of 10 feet right down
to the core! It was infested with bindweed and had outgrown its site. It
is now a happy healthy stump but the bindweed is rearing its ugly head
again! What is a good weedkiller that will kill bindweed, not the shrub
and not the grass (the latter not too much of a prob as there is no grass
growing in 5ft radius)?

Went into my local DIY/Garden Centre and failed to be convinced by what I
read off the labels.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

My opinion is that it isn't ugly, if it were a rare plant we'd all want it.

It's a very beautiful plant. The problem is that like Ipomoea in hot
countries like Greece, it is a menace. We nurture and encourage and hover
over Ipomoeas in UK but there it rampages over building sites and smothers
other plants or old sheds and is a pest.

My experience is that when we moved here forty odd years ago the fence on
one side of the garden was covered with bindweed. I pulled it up manually
for about two years and it stopped growing.

Every single piece of root turns into a new plant so two years would be good
going indeed.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Bindweed problem Ellen Connell United Kingdom 14 06-08-2003 10:12 AM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 07:13 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Bindweed SIgnots Gardening 16 29-05-2003 04:44 PM