Old 24-04-2008, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing peas and quality of pea seed

I had some useful feedback from this group on my problem with pea
germination.Some of my problem may well have been due to my using too
high a temperature(20C) in my propagating tray.I have recently
confirmed this from an article which suggests that peas should be
grown as cool as possible..However,there may be other
reasons.Firstly,I may be covering the seed too deeply in the trays.I
have read that when sowing in pots or trays,cover with only 1/2" of
soil,whereas when sowing outdoors,the recommended depth is 2 to 3".Why
is this?Also I have far greater success with with my own saved seed
(even two years old)than with bought seed which indicates packed
during the past year.What seed packets do not say is when the seed was
harvested!What are peoples experience with bought seed,with particular
reference to peas?
Old 24-04-2008, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote in message
I had some useful feedback from this group on my problem with pea
germination.Some of my problem may well have been due to my using too
high a temperature(20C) in my propagating tray.I have recently
confirmed this from an article which suggests that peas should be
grown as cool as possible..However,there may be other
reasons.Firstly,I may be covering the seed too deeply in the trays.I
have read that when sowing in pots or trays,cover with only 1/2" of
soil,whereas when sowing outdoors,the recommended depth is 2 to 3".Why
is this?Also I have far greater success with with my own saved seed
(even two years old)than with bought seed which indicates packed
during the past year.What seed packets do not say is when the seed was
harvested!What are peoples experience with bought seed,with particular
reference to peas?

I sowed meteor (round seeded peas) in January and they came up fine but the
alderman(wrinklies) that I sowed in March caught the prolonged cold , very
wet weather and not many came up. I have sown a second lot and put spares in
the gaps and they have all come up so I will be supplying Birds Eye in the
summer lol, I hope! Conditions and whether they are round seeded or not seem
to me to be the major factors. I never have enough left over to save much
seed but you're right, your own saving is always best.