Old 29-04-2008, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Controlling squirrels

"Tom" wrote in message

"Clive in Kent @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message

Just wish the bloody rabbits would stand still long enough for me to have
the same success!!

Blow them a kiss (really). A squeaky drawn out kiss noise is very close
to a rabbit distress call and will freeze them for a couple of seconds
while they listen.
Tom

My father came from Kent and as a child they would walk in a zig zag path
across a field (like a sailing boat tacks against the wind) shaking a match
box with about a dozen or so matches in intervals every few seconds. It
requires a great deal of patience, but the rabbits seem to go in a mixture
of fascination and memerisation. And can be slowly and carefully manouvred
into a thin net.

Old 29-04-2008, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"johngood_____" wrote in message

My father came from Kent and as a child they would walk in a zig zag path
across a field (like a sailing boat tacks against the wind) shaking a
match box with about a dozen or so matches in intervals every few seconds.
It requires a great deal of patience, but the rabbits seem to go in a
mixture of fascination and memerisation. And can be slowly and carefully
manouvred into a thin net.

I love the way people from different parts of the country worked out
different ways to catch bunnies. I've seen (and used) long nets, gate nets,
snares and traps, I've shot them and I've even seen someone hawking for
them. I've never seen or heard of anyone zig zagging across a field for them
before though :-)

Strangest one I ever heard of was an old reprobate who claimed he used to
walk in a spiral around a hare, always looking away until he was close
enough to hit it with his stick. I know from my shooting days that if a hare
thinks you haven't seen him, he will crouch down until you almost step on
him, so I suppose it is possible, but I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Tom