Old 25-04-2008, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sierra Nevada flower

Like a small gorse, except blue. No seeds at this time of year,
unfortunately :-(

But what is it? It looked an excellent plant for a dry, sunny
bank? Obviously cold-hardy, deer resistant, yada yada ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-04-2008, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Like a small gorse, except blue. No seeds at this time of year,
unfortunately :-(

But what is it? It looked an excellent plant for a dry, sunny
bank? Obviously cold-hardy, deer resistant, yada yada ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

had you meant to give a picture link?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 25-04-2008, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| Like a small gorse, except blue. No seeds at this time of year,
| unfortunately :-(
|
| But what is it? It looked an excellent plant for a dry, sunny
| bank? Obviously cold-hardy, deer resistant, yada yada ....
|
| had you meant to give a picture link?

No. My wife took one, and I will do so when she unloads it and if I
can find somewhere to put it. But I can't believe that there are
many such plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-04-2008, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 25, 12:49 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Like a small gorse, except blue. No seeds at this time of year,
unfortunately :-(

But what is it? It looked an excellent plant for a dry, sunny
bank? Obviously cold-hardy, deer resistant, yada yada ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

There was a guy who put photos of a blue flowered broom up here a few
years ago; Iberian broom with blue flowers and low mound habit.
Hedgehog broom or something like that was the verdict (I just searched
the newsgroup; Dave Poole identified it as Erinacea).
http://www.azenhadoramalho.com/plantid.htm

Old 25-04-2008, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

Like a small gorse, except blue. No seeds at this time of year,
unfortunately :-(

But what is it? It looked an excellent plant for a dry, sunny
bank? Obviously cold-hardy, deer resistant, yada yada ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Going to the Jepson Flora Project and looking for blue-flowered legumes
comes up with Psorothamnus (several species thereof). The other blue
flowered legumes in California (e.g. several lupins and vetches) aren't
spinous (fide Google, but Google was being obviously reluctant to
provide complete search results - e.g. Psorothamnus blue was producing
more hits for Psorothamnus than Fabaceae blue, even though they should
have produced the same).

But the range given doesn't include the Sierra Nevada, though some
species occur in mountains of the Mohave Desert or Basin and Range
Province.

http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/g...t.pl?3691,4186
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PSORO
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 25-04-2008, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 25, 2:28 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

[...]

California??? bugger; I assumed Sierra Nevada was in Spain; oh well;
scratch Erinacea than :-)
Old 25-04-2008, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Des
Higgins writes
On Apr 25, 2:28 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

[...]

You may have assumed correctly. There's a Sierra Nevada in Spain, and a
Sierra Nevada in California (also in Mexico and Chile, fide Wikipedia).
I assumed the second, quite possibly incorrectly (being in
correspondence about a plant from Baja at the moment may have biased my
interpretation). The fact that the Jepson Flora Project is not producing
a good match is a point in favour of your assumption.

For Spanish plants see

URL:http://www.rjb.csic.es/floraiberica/..._.php?familia=
Leguminosae

It's probably not quite as voluminous as the Californian flora, but it's
still inconveniently large.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-04-2008, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| But the range given doesn't include the Sierra Nevada, though some
| species occur in mountains of the Mohave Desert or Basin and Range
| Province.

Er, sorry, I meant the original Sierra Nevada :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-04-2008, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Des Higgins writes:

| Like a small gorse, except blue. No seeds at this time of year,
| unfortunately :-(
|
| But what is it? It looked an excellent plant for a dry, sunny
| bank? Obviously cold-hardy, deer resistant, yada yada ....
|
| There was a guy who put photos of a blue flowered broom up here a few
| years ago; Iberian broom with blue flowers and low mound habit.
| Hedgehog broom or something like that was the verdict (I just searched
| the newsgroup; Dave Poole identified it as Erinacea).
| http://www.azenhadoramalho.com/plantid.htm

Thanks very much! Mine didn't have quite the same growth pattern,
and wasn't quite such a good colour, but the difference is well within
what one would expect for different locations. Yes, it is that; see:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/po...nthyllis_1.php

The colour I saw was closer to the link you posted, though less bright.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-04-2008, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

What a fantastic colour - I want that. I wonder if it's available in
UK.......

http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Erinacea%20anthyllis.htm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-04-2008, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| "Sacha" wrote
|
| What a fantastic colour - I want that. I wonder if it's available in
| UK.......
|
| http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Erinacea%20anthyllis.htm

My guess is that it would be best grown in a pot full of aggregate
on the south side of a house in a partial rain shadow.

From where and how it was growing in the wild, none of frost, drought
or cats would worry it at all :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-04-2008, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/4/08 19:03, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

What a fantastic colour - I want that. I wonder if it's available in
UK.......

http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Erinacea%20anthyllis.htm

That's lovely Bob and thank you. But it's not the amazingly intense blue of
the original pic. I think it's that which truly grabbed my attention.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-04-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/4/08 20:50, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| "Sacha" wrote
|
| What a fantastic colour - I want that. I wonder if it's available in
| UK.......
|
| http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Erinacea%20anthyllis.htm

My guess is that it would be best grown in a pot full of aggregate
on the south side of a house in a partial rain shadow.

From where and how it was growing in the wild, none of frost, drought
or cats would worry it at all :-)

It's stunning, Nick. Did you not bring a few bits home with you?! Tsk! In
a way it reminds me of an Eryngium that we saw growing in the Trodos
mountains of Cyprus. The blue was so intense that they looked just as if
they'd been spray-painted. I have never before, or since, seen anything
like them.

Old 25-04-2008, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| It's stunning, Nick. Did you not bring a few bits home with you?! Tsk! In
| a way it reminds me of an Eryngium that we saw growing in the Trodos
| mountains of Cyprus. The blue was so intense that they looked just as if
| they'd been spray-painted. I have never before, or since, seen anything
| like them.

I am not good with cuttings, but I did spend some time looking for
seed-pods. No joy, unfortunately. The ones in the Sierra Nevada
weren't as intense a blue as the picture, but were still a good
blue. The plants are sufficiently distinctive that an autumn
visitor should be able to collect seeds - it looks as if the
Portugese variant may have the best colour.

There was also a Cistus that I failed to find any full seed pods
of, but it wasn't all that exciting. Nice, but just another Cistus
with small white flowers.

I got some seeds from two street trees in Granada, which I can't
offhand identify. I will chase up a bit and try to grow them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.