Old 29-04-2008, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peach Leaf Curl

on a Victoria Plum turned out to be Aphids.

Don't wish to spray.

Is it safe to leave the tree to the Hoverflies and/or Ladybirds or should
action be taken sooner rather than later?

Any ideas please?

Mike

Old 29-04-2008, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "'Mike'" writes:
| on a Victoria Plum turned out to be Aphids.
|
| Don't wish to spray.
|
| Is it safe to leave the tree to the Hoverflies and/or Ladybirds or should
| action be taken sooner rather than later?
|
| Any ideas please?

If they get out of hand, hit them with soft soap or washing up liquid
and meths. Sooner rather than later.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-04-2008, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article , "'Mike'"
writes:
| on a Victoria Plum turned out to be Aphids.
|
| Don't wish to spray.
|
| Is it safe to leave the tree to the Hoverflies and/or Ladybirds or
should
| action be taken sooner rather than later?
|
| Any ideas please?

If they get out of hand, hit them with soft soap or washing up liquid
and meths. Sooner rather than later.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

'Her indoors', ('cos its chucking it down with rain here on the Isle of
Wight) says thank you very much :-)

Mike

Old 29-04-2008, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
on a Victoria Plum turned out to be Aphids.

Don't wish to spray.

Is it safe to leave the tree to the Hoverflies and/or Ladybirds or
should action be taken sooner rather than later?

Any ideas please?

Mike

Spray them with insecticide, even if you don't want to.

Why? Well, aphids do little permanent damage themselves, but it's the
viruses they transmit from plant to plant which are much more serious. See
for example
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advic...h_potato_aphid
http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/co...nd%20TuYV.mspx

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 29-04-2008, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
on a Victoria Plum turned out to be Aphids.

Don't wish to spray.

Is it safe to leave the tree to the Hoverflies and/or Ladybirds or
should action be taken sooner rather than later?

Any ideas please?

Mike

Spray them with insecticide, even if you don't want to.

Why? Well, aphids do little permanent damage themselves, but it's the
viruses they transmit from plant to plant which are much more serious.
See for example
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advic...h_potato_aphid
http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/co...nd%20TuYV.mspx

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Thanks for the help, tips and advice.

I took some photos this afternoon when the sun shone for all of two minutes.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-NTNZ8Q6J

Mike

Too late to treat peach leaf curl? Dan_Musicant Gardening 1 03-05-2006 12:50 AM
Plum/Peach aphid leaf curl Tiger303 United Kingdom 9 18-05-2005 10:18 PM
Peach leaf curl grinder Gardening 4 12-04-2005 11:51 PM
Peach leaf curl [email protected] United Kingdom 36 10-06-2004 05:05 PM
peach leaf curl H United Kingdom 1 10-06-2003 05:20 PM