Old 29-04-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default overwintered parsnips

The last of these still in the ground are now putting on some luxuriant
topgrowth, presumably gearing themselves up to flower. Would it be
advisable to either cut off the foliage or lift them for storage
elsewhere?

Thanks

Brian Mitchell
Old 29-04-2008, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

brian mitchell writes
The last of these still in the ground are now putting on some luxuriant
topgrowth, presumably gearing themselves up to flower. Would it be
advisable to either cut off the foliage or lift them for storage
elsewhere?

Yes. The root is a storage facility to power the new growth in the
spring, so the more they grow, the more the parsnips will shrivel.
--
Kay
Old 29-04-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"brian mitchell" wrote
The last of these still in the ground are now putting on some luxuriant
topgrowth, presumably gearing themselves up to flower. Would it be
advisable to either cut off the foliage or lift them for storage
elsewhere?

I would expect the roots to be woody in the centre by now and then only fit
for the compost heap. BTW they freeze well if cut into bits.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-04-2008, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

brian mitchell wrote:
The last of these still in the ground are now putting on some luxuriant
topgrowth, presumably gearing themselves up to flower. Would it be
advisable to either cut off the foliage or lift them for storage
elsewhere?

They will probably be a bit woody by now, but can still be raosted.
I always leave a couple to flower. Very statuesue plant, the hover flies
love them, and you get free parsnip seed for the following year. They tend
to breed fairly true. I've not bought parsnip seed in 12 years or so.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

I would expect the roots to be woody in the centre by now...

A touch al dente. When does that happen?

But what really intrigues me is a number of parsnipettes, less than 1/2"
in diameter. I'm at a loss to account for them.

Brian Mitchell

Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"brian mitchell" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

I would expect the roots to be woody in the centre by now...

A touch al dente. When does that happen?

But what really intrigues me is a number of parsnipettes, less than 1/2"
in diameter. I'm at a loss to account for them.

A bit more woody than that Brian. :-) Happens when they start to resprout.

Possibly the other seeds you sowed now germinating.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden