Old 01-05-2008, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default stop snails climbing shrubs

On May 1, 4:42 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

What you need is a flexible copper tape, wafer thin, it could come on
a roll, rather like sellotape. I have seen such a thing on my
friend's large garden pots, half way up the pot, it stops slugs
climbing into the pot and it works 100%. Now that could well be a
lucrative sideline for your business.

Yes but it doesn't last, the copper rings last for ever - well, they'll see
us out :-)

Mary

I'm sure copper rings are the best but I was thinking of the initial
outlay, it could well be expensive and for those on a limited budget,
I thought copper tape would be an acceptable solution.

Judith
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On May 1, 4:42 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in

What you need is a flexible copper tape, wafer thin, it could come on
a roll, rather like sellotape. I have seen such a thing on my
friend's large garden pots, half way up the pot, it stops slugs
climbing into the pot and it works 100%. Now that could well be a
lucrative sideline for your business.

Yes but it doesn't last, the copper rings last for ever - well, they'll
see
us out :-)

Mary

I'm sure copper rings are the best but I was thinking of the initial
outlay, it could well be expensive and for those on a limited budget,
I thought copper tape would be an acceptable solution.

Fair point - although if it's a short-lived outlay it seems a waste. I've
done it :-(

Mary

Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 May 2008 13:23:59 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

What you need is a flexible copper tape, wafer thin, it could come on
a roll, rather like sellotape. I have seen such a thing on my
friend's large garden pots, half way up the pot, it stops slugs
climbing into the pot and it works 100%. Now that could well be a
lucrative sideline for your business.

Judith

Electrical Wholesalers such as Newey & Eyre, City Electrics and the like
Used by Electricians for Electrical earth Bonding.

Also used in Shipbuilding in the Radio and Radar Rooms, again for Earth
Electrical 'Grounding'

The price of Copper has soared lately so try your Industrial Estates for the
Electrical Wholesalers instead of Garden Centres

Comes in 'about' 20 metre rolls 'about' 15mm wide and you can cut it with a
SHARP pair of Kitchen Scissors. Put the strip right up near the pivot when
you cut it.

Mike

Also available for use in stained glass work.

look towards the bottom of the page here....
http://www.tempsfordstainedglass.co...._BEST__27.html

Also....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COPPER-FOIL-TA...QQcmdZViewItem

Rick... (The other Rick)
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Lol" wrote in message
m...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded
in destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted
to stop them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

Why cardboard?

Mary

Because it was handy, and easy to cut to the shape I wanted - a downward
facing collar - and tape onto the stem. No idea how to do that in copper.

Didn't work at all, of course

Lol

Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
Mary

I'm sure copper rings are the best but I was thinking of the initial
outlay, it could well be expensive and for those on a limited budget,
I thought copper tape would be an acceptable solution.

Fair point - although if it's a short-lived outlay it seems a waste. I've
done it :-(

Our first adhesive copper tape is now in its third year and it still
appears to be totally excluding slugs.

It is not 100% effective against snails, but it does not claim to be. I
understand that there is another copper tape with a serrated edge which
is designed to cope with snails but as we do have much of a snail
problem (the thrushes see to that) we have not tried it out.
--
Robert