Old 30-04-2008, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default stop snails climbing shrubs

We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded in
destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to stop
them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

Old 30-04-2008, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded
in
destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to
stop
them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

Get a large pan and fill with water, create an island in the middle and
stand pot on it, the water gap will stop them as long as its over 2".
make sure the pot is not in the water.
Spray plant on dry evenings with a liquid slug & snail killer
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Charlie, is that 2" deep or 2" from the side to the pot? ie they have to
swim or stretch 2"?

Mike

Old 30-04-2008, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/4/08 09:07, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

[...]

Good idea thanks, theory is sound but not practical - this is about an 18"
tub, I'd need to be into landscaping a pond to put it in.

Just found reference to copper strips as a barrier, does that really work,
or simply a cash crop at garden centre tills?

lol

You could get one of those large green or black plastic tubs they sell at
e.g. feed merchants, fill that with water, put another inside but upside
down to make the island and stand your 18" pot on that. Or you could indeed
make a pond and put your Caragana on a plastic pot island in the middle of
it. Then you could have fish and marginal plants.......... ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-04-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lol wrote:
[...]

It is supposed to work. it might be interesting to try a band of copper
separated by a few mm from a band of aluminium foil (or a strip cut from a
tin) round the trunk. A snail crawling across should cause a voltage to
appear across the different metals, and that should be enough to dissuade
it. If you do try it, please let us know if it does or does not work.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 30-04-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lol" wrote in message
m...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded
in destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to
stop them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

a ring off dried coffee grounds around the plant should keep them away, at
least according to experiments I have tried. The ring may need to be quite
wide & the coffee grounds replaced over time as they get wet. My observation
is that the dried grounds seem to deter the snails crawling over them,
probably due to moisture loss. Within reason the grounds also make a decent
fertiliser for the plant.

rob

Old 30-04-2008, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lol" wrote in message
m...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded
in destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to
stop them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

Why cardboard?

Solid copper collars work very well - not 100% because they travel under as
well as overground.

Mary

Old 30-04-2008, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lol" wrote in message
om...

Just found reference to copper strips as a barrier, does that really work,
or simply a cash crop at garden centre tills?

In my experience the strips aren't very effective.

We make our own copper collars, the garden supplier ones are exorbitant.

You can either go to your local scrap metal merchant and buy a copper
cylinder then cut it to the size you want or even buy sheets of new copper.
That's what we do these days because we use the copper for other purposes,
it's easier to work than scrap metal and it's easier to store. It's also
usually thinner, it doesn't need to be thick.

Mary

Old 30-04-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:20:05 +0100, Lol wrote
(in article ):

We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded in
destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to stop
them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

The way my wife and I keep snails and slugs away from our Hostas also in
large pots, is to smear a good 2" or 3" strip or Vaseline all way around the
pot. That stops the little buggers. But you do need to renew it at least
once during the growing season. The other precaution is to make sure that
the foliage of the plant is not touching any other plant or wall or object.
They will go up one plant in order to get to another.

Peter

--
It was my Uncle George who discovered that alcohol was a food well in
advance of medical thought.

Old 30-04-2008, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:58:37 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

"Lol" wrote in message
om...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded
in destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to
stop them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

a ring off dried coffee grounds around the plant should keep them away, at
least according to experiments I have tried. The ring may need to be quite
wide & the coffee grounds replaced over time as they get wet. My observation
is that the dried grounds seem to deter the snails crawling over them,
probably due to moisture loss. Within reason the grounds also make a decent
fertiliser for the plant.

rob

Starbucks in the US apparently leave their grounds outside for people
to take
http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/osw/cons...ws/04-star.htm

They say:
http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 30-04-2008, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

They wont swim but a big one can stretch a surprisingly long way, so I
reckon 2" horizontal as a minimum
Old 30-04-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Many thanks. That is what I suspected

Mike

Old 30-04-2008, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
.uk...
... The other precaution is to make sure that
the foliage of the plant is not touching any other plant or wall or
object.
They will go up one plant in order to get to another.

They will indeed.

I once protected tomato seedlings by standing the pots on a high device. I
saw a slug climbing to the tip of a small broom and weighting down the top
branch so that the seedlings could be reached.

Intelligent slugs!

How did it know the seedlings were there? How did it know which way to bend
the branch??

I can't forget the sight, you really must admire such a feat - although I
still don't warm to slugs.

Mary