Old 30-04-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Boggy Garden

I am shortly moving into a newish house (7 yrs) old. The rear garden is very
boggy, the grass is sparce and quite muddy do to it being wet.
It's in need of drainage but how do I go about doing this? I am no gardener
and dont wat to dig it all up and put drainage in so can anyone suggest a
solution?

Thank you all

Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:26:04 +0100, "SamanthaBooth"
wrote:

I am shortly moving into a newish house (7 yrs) old. The rear garden is very
boggy, the grass is sparce and quite muddy do to it being wet.
It's in need of drainage but how do I go about doing this? I am no gardener
and dont wat to dig it all up and put drainage in so can anyone suggest a
solution?

Thank you all

Turn it into a bog garden proper.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am shortly moving into a newish house (7 yrs) old. The rear garden is
very
boggy, the grass is sparce and quite muddy do to it being wet.
It's in need of drainage but how do I go about doing this? I am no
gardener
and dont wat to dig it all up and put drainage in so can anyone suggest a
solution?

Thank you all

Turn it into a bog garden proper.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I could do but I may lose the children at some point. Nah I want a nice
garden

Old 01-05-2008, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am shortly moving into a newish house (7 yrs) old. The rear garden is
very
boggy, the grass is sparce and quite muddy do to it being wet.
It's in need of drainage but how do I go about doing this? I am no
gardener
and dont wat to dig it all up and put drainage in so can anyone suggest a
solution?

Thank you all

Turn it into a bog garden proper.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I could do but I may lose the children at some point. Nah I want a nice
garden

Stab it all over with a fork and add lawn sand. Several times, judging by
how wet you say it is. And try to keep kids and dogs off it till it dries
out a bit.

Steve

Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve

thanks for the reply.

When you say "lawn sand" would that be sharp sand from a builders merchants?
Or am I wrong here. I am no gardener and need to know where I would buy it
from, thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SamanthaBooth" wrote in message
I am shortly moving into a newish house (7 yrs) old. The rear garden is
very boggy, the grass is sparce and quite muddy do to it being wet.
It's in need of drainage but how do I go about doing this? I am no
gardener and dont wat to dig it all up and put drainage in so can anyone
suggest a solution?

Thank you all

The question you have to ask, is, 'Why is it Boggy?'.

Is it the lowest garden in the area and all the other gardens 'drain' into
it?
Is there a stream 'wanting' to show itself? Not as daft as it sounds, my Son
in Law had a boggy area so he got a JCB in and dug a pond! The stream at
another part of his garden just 'vanished' before showing itself in the
Village Pond outside his land. Obviously via the boggy area. Now everybody
is happy.
Do you have a broken drain somewhere and all this rain we are having ends up
in the garden?

If your garden is the lowest, you do have a bit of a problem.

To drain the boggy area, the water has to go somewhere. Water runs downhill.
Is there anywhere the water can go if you drain by some means or other? NO
NOT your neighbours garden downhill ;-)

OR, is your garden on a bed of clay with just a bit of "Top Soil" chucked on
when the house was built? :-((

You might have to investigate once you move in.

Best of luck

Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SamanthaBooth" wrote
I am shortly moving into a newish house (7 yrs) old. The rear garden is
very boggy, the grass is sparce and quite muddy do to it being wet.
It's in need of drainage but how do I go about doing this? I am no
gardener and dont wat to dig it all up and put drainage in so can anyone
suggest a solution?

Everywhere is like that this year (and last) so is it really a constant
problem or just the last couple of very wet years?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"SamanthaBooth" wrote
I am shortly moving into a newish house (7 yrs) old. The rear garden is
very boggy, the grass is sparce and quite muddy do to it being wet.
It's in need of drainage but how do I go about doing this? I am no
gardener and dont wat to dig it all up and put drainage in so can anyone
suggest a solution?

Everywhere is like that this year (and last) so is it really a constant
problem or just the last couple of very wet years?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Bob I read your comments about 'everywhere' and thought, ours isn't wet or
boggy, even though we have had our fair share of rain as well.

Then I realised why, and Samantha might like to take note of some pictures I
have just taken.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-C7WJKALZ

Everything grows in 'raised' beds, not as in Sleepers etc, but all beds and
the lawn is raised with the lowest parts being gravel paths

We are also on very old and well worked soil. We had veg in the garden when
we first came in.

Hope that helps Samantha

Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Then I realised why, and Samantha might like to take note of some pictures
I have just taken.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-C7WJKALZ

:-( Sorry about the hazy bits on some pictures, I was sitting at the
computer and photographed out of the windows and caught the nets in some of
them. I later got to my feet and went outside :-)

Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Then I realised why, and Samantha might like to take note of some
pictures I have just taken.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-C7WJKALZ

:-( Sorry about the hazy bits on some pictures, I was sitting at the
computer and photographed out of the windows and caught the nets in some
of them. I later got to my feet and went outside :-)

Mike

Your garden is beautiful, are you near preston

Next doors house/garden is a lot higher than mine so that will explain the
water. Besides digging it all up and draining it all, i have decided raised
beds are the way to go, even with sleepers, gravel etc, that way it wont
flood.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Then I realised why, and Samantha might like to take note of some
pictures I have just taken.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-C7WJKALZ

:-( Sorry about the hazy bits on some pictures, I was sitting at the
computer and photographed out of the windows and caught the nets in some
of them. I later got to my feet and went outside :-)

Mike

Your garden is beautiful, are you near preston

Next doors house/garden is a lot higher than mine so that will explain the
water. Besides digging it all up and draining it all, i have decided
raised beds are the way to go, even with sleepers, gravel etc, that way it
wont flood.

???

Or pass on down to the neighbours the other side ? ;-))

Nice one ;-)

Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SamanthaBooth" wrote in message

Your garden is beautiful, are you near preston

Samantha, my full apologies, I missed that bit :-)

No I am in the Isle of Wight. My wife is the gardener, I am the 'Dig a
border here, put a path in there' man ;-)

Much to the disgust of many of the owners of this site, if it was left to
me, I would 'Concrete the lot and paint it green' ;-)

Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 May 2008 17:12:18 +0100, "SamanthaBooth"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
.. .

Then I realised why, and Samantha might like to take note of some
pictures I have just taken.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-C7WJKALZ

:-( Sorry about the hazy bits on some pictures, I was sitting at the
computer and photographed out of the windows and caught the nets in some
of them. I later got to my feet and went outside :-)

Mike

Your garden is beautiful, are you near preston

Judging from his related albums he is somewhere in the Netherlands.
--

Martin

Isle of Wight and quite a few urglers contact me before they come on holiday
:-)

Mike

Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Isle of Wight and quite a few urglers contact me before they come on
holiday :-)

An urgler has emailed me about the following
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/News/50M_SHORT...ICTED_1 .aspx

Yes. Tourism is dying. Hotels are being demolished and blocks of Apartments
are being built.

Factories are being built and houses to house those willing to work in them

The Isle of Wight as a tourist destination has had its day.

Once the bridge is built, it will be easier for the Industrial side to
compete with "England"

Still a beautiful place to retire to :-))

If only they would stop pestering "ANYONE" with a bit of land called
'garden' to sell it and build on it :-(((

Mike

Boggy Garden Vince[_2_] Gardening 1 02-03-2007 12:07 AM
Boggy Garden [email protected] United Kingdom 4 21-02-2007 02:45 PM
Boggy garden question dapex United Kingdom 7 06-02-2007 02:45 PM
Ponds in a boggy garden zippo4 United Kingdom 6 22-10-2004 02:06 PM
Boggy Grass MissionMan United Kingdom 13 16-11-2002 07:49 PM