Old 01-05-2008, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lots of small soak aways

Hello,

I have just moved into a 2nd hand house and the garden is very boggy.

I have spoken to my next door neighbour who has dug a 6ft soakaway,
and could not get through the clay layer :-(

Would a posible option be to pepper the lawn with 1m deep 100mm wide
holes filled with gravel?

If so what distance should the holes be apart e.g. every 6ft ?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
kitey writes:

| I have just moved into a 2nd hand house and the garden is very boggy.
|
| I have spoken to my next door neighbour who has dug a 6ft soakaway,
| and could not get through the clay layer :-(
|
| Would a posible option be to pepper the lawn with 1m deep 100mm wide
| holes filled with gravel?
|
| If so what distance should the holes be apart e.g. every 6ft ?

A waste of time. If you can't get through to better draining soil,
a soakaway will just fill up and become useless. It makes little
difference whether you have one large one or lots of small ones.

The main exception is in summer, where such a soakaway can help to
prevent short periods of heavy rain from making everything boggy.
But it needs to be large enough to hold the run-off (1/8"-2" over
the area it drains, depending on your criteria).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kitey" wrote in message
Hello,

I have just moved into a 2nd hand house and the garden is very boggy.

I have spoken to my next door neighbour who has dug a 6ft soakaway,
and could not get through the clay layer :-(

Would a posible option be to pepper the lawn with 1m deep 100mm wide
holes filled with gravel?

If so what distance should the holes be apart e.g. every 6ft ?

I dug (over a period of days) a soak hole for my garage. I went down about 5
foot 6 inchs, thats a little over 1 1/2 metres, still in the clay layer but
deep enought to cope with run off the roof. Just try digging a little deeper
than your neighbour. It really is good fun digging, really it is, really.
Great way to spend a spring holiday.

rob

even better is crawling under your house installing polystyrene insulation

Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"kitey" wrote in message
Hello,

I have just moved into a 2nd hand house and the garden is very boggy.

I have spoken to my next door neighbour who has dug a 6ft soakaway,
and could not get through the clay layer :-(

Would a posible option be to pepper the lawn with 1m deep 100mm wide
holes filled with gravel?

If so what distance should the holes be apart e.g. every 6ft ?

I dug (over a period of days) a soak hole for my garage. I went down about
5 foot 6 inchs, thats a little over 1 1/2 metres, still in the clay layer
but deep enought to cope with run off the roof. Just try digging a little
deeper than your neighbour. It really is good fun digging, really it is,
really. Great way to spend a spring holiday.

rob

even better is crawling under your house installing polystyrene insulation

but don't make it a longish, sort of 2 metres long, by a narrowish, sort of
3/4 metre wide if it is within window view of neighbour's houses ;-)

Mike

Okay I've got this nice juicy mealworm - I think I'll soak him in the water a little bit Paddy's Pig[_5_] Garden Photos 0 29-09-2010 02:20 AM
Splash or soak? Sacha United Kingdom 1 13-04-2006 03:40 PM
Nettles - lots & lots Rick United Kingdom 24 21-05-2005 05:33 PM
Buried soak-away cover: planting suggestions please Chris Hogg United Kingdom 3 27-09-2004 10:15 PM
Longest time to soak roses? Jean S. Barto Roses 7 08-04-2003 05:44 PM