GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173742-plant-id-please.html)

Sacha[_3_] 01-05-2008 06:04 PM

Plant ID please

Ray was given this and can't remember its name! Has anyone any ideas?
http://i25.tinypic.com/2w7lb8x.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Stewart Robert Hinsley 01-05-2008 06:31 PM

Plant ID please

In message , Sacha
writes
Ray was given this and can't remember its name! Has anyone any ideas?
http://i25.tinypic.com/2w7lb8x.jpg

My first though was Phytolacca, but when I look for photographs of this
the foliage doesn't seem to match.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dave Hill 01-05-2008 07:41 PM

Plant ID please

On 1 May, 18:31, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Sacha
writesRay was given this and can't remember its name! *Has anyone any ideas?
http://i25.tinypic.com/2w7lb8x.jpg

My first though was Phytolacca, but when I look for photographs of this
the foliage doesn't seem to match.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha,
It's a cultivated form of Phytolacca americana Pokeweed or pokeberry
http://www.botanypictures.com/planti...mozijnbes).jpg

They over winter very well onder cold glass but I have yet to try one
outside.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

beccabunga 02-05-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] (Post 787972)
Ray was given this and can't remember its name! Has anyone any ideas?
http://i25.tinypic.com/2w7lb8x.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

?? Phytolacca bogotensis

Sacha[_3_] 02-05-2008 08:38 AM

Plant ID please

On 2/5/08 03:07, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Dave Hill contains these
words:

http://www.botanypictures.com/planti...a%2001%20(karm
ozijnbes).jpg

They over winter very well onder cold glass but I have yet to try one
outside.

I would handle this one with care!

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph24.htm

" Several toxins have been identified in species of Phytolacca, usually
concentrated in the roots, berries and seeds. These poisons include an
alkaloid (phytolaccine), a resin (phytolaccatoxin), and a saponin
(phytolaccigenin). According to W.H. Lewis and M.P.F. Elvin-Lewis
(Medical Botany, 1977), the most serious health hazard from Phytolacca
comes from a very toxic plant protein called a lectin. Lectins can cause
red blood cells to clump together (agglutinate) and may stimulate abnormal
cell division in quiescent B and T-lymphocytes. Lectins are the primary
toxic principle in the world's deadliest seeds, including the castor bean
(Ricinus communis) and prayer bead (Abrus precatorius). The agglutination
property of lectins serves a useful purpose in legumes, by binding and
localizing essential nitrogen-fixing bacteria within the swollen nodules
of roots."

Thanks Anne and to everyone for the ID, too. I shall print off the deadly
warning and pass it on to Ray!

Sacha[_3_] 02-05-2008 08:43 AM

Plant ID please

On 2/5/08 03:11, in article ,
"beccabunga" wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;787972']Ray was given this and can't remember its name! Has anyone any
ideas?
http://i25.tinypic.com/2w7lb8x.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

?? Phytolacca bogotensis

That's it, I feel sure! Looking at the pics online and at ours, the
similarity is very strong.

Dave Hill 02-05-2008 11:12 AM

Plant ID please

On 2 May, 08:43, Sacha wrote:
On 2/5/08 03:11, in article ,

"beccabunga" wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;787972']Ray was given this and can't remember its name! *Has anyone any
ideas?
http://i25.tinypic.com/2w7lb8x.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

?? Phytolacca bogotensis

That's it, I feel sure! *Looking at the pics online and at ours, the
similarity is very strong.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'- Hide quoted text -

Sacha,
I'm sure that was amongst some plants I sent you, have a look at this
link, it gives a very mixed message about the plant,
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....acca+americana
David hill

Sacha[_3_] 02-05-2008 03:02 PM

Plant ID please

On 2/5/08 11:12, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

snip

Sacha,
I'm sure that was amongst some plants I sent you, have a look at this
link, it gives a very mixed message about the plant,
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....acca+americana
David hill

Could well be, David! It's a very handsome plant, strong growing and - to
us - most unusual, though I gather it's a noxious weed in USA! Anyway,
thank you! The pfaf comments are extraordinary in their 'diversity', I must
say. On the one hand, handle with gloves, on the other, used medicinally
for years! I know that can be the case with plants but it seems rather
extreme with this one. Interesting that they're experimenting in using it
against snails. I wonder how.