Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default moss problem

Each year I get some problem with moss mostly on my front lawn, but this
year it more prolific and has nearly covered my back lawn.
I have used 'Evergreeen' feed, weed and mosskiller, which it did, then I
raked up about 90 odd percent of it on both lawns, and now I have ended
up with quite a few bare areas with not much grass.
After cutting both lawns I have seen that there are still a few small
areas of moss where I missed when treating the lawns.

What should I do now, or what sequence of events should I follow to get
both lawns looking better again?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob H wrote:
Each year I get some problem with moss mostly on my front lawn, but
this year it more prolific and has nearly covered my back lawn.
I have used 'Evergreeen' feed, weed and mosskiller, which it did,
then I raked up about 90 odd percent of it on both lawns, and now I
have ended up with quite a few bare areas with not much grass.
After cutting both lawns I have seen that there are still a few small
areas of moss where I missed when treating the lawns.

What should I do now, or what sequence of events should I follow to
get both lawns looking better again?

Thanks

I too have a much worse moss problem than usual. I wonder if I leave it, the
grass will disappear?. Moss is quite comfy to sit on
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 7:42 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Bob H wrote:
Each year I get some problem with moss mostly on my front lawn, but
this year it more prolific and has nearly covered my back lawn.
I have used 'Evergreeen' feed, weed and mosskiller, which it did,
then I raked up about 90 odd percent of it on both lawns, and now I
have ended up with quite a few bare areas with not much grass.
After cutting both lawns I have seen that there are still a few small
areas of moss where I missed when treating the lawns.

What should I do now, or what sequence of events should I follow to
get both lawns looking better again?

Thanks

I too have a much worse moss problem than usual. I wonder if I leave it, the
grass will disappear?. Moss is quite comfy to sit on
--
Pete C
London UK

Hi Pete, how goes it in London? I don't know why people don't like
moss in a lawn, I think it is lovely, o.k. it is not a typically
British lawn with moss in it, but I actually like it.

Judith
Old 04-05-2008, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On May 3, 7:42 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Bob H wrote:
[...]

I've always understood that the Japanese grow areas of moss, the same as
we do grass, then spend lots of money and effort to eradicate the grass!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 4, 9:47 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 04 May 2008 08:53:47 +0100, Broadback wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On May 3, 7:42 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Bob H wrote:
[...]

We found that the moss eradicated the grass in our lawn without any effort from
us.
--

Martin

But it is pretty and feels like walking on a lawn with underlay :-)

Judith

Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Judith in France wrote:
On May 3, 7:42 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Bob H wrote:
[...]

So are the clover and the daisies. Grass who needs it?

Ok, so are all of you who posted replies saying I should let the moss
take over both of my lawns?
Old 04-05-2008, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob H writes:

| Ok, so are all of you who posted replies saying I should let the moss
| take over both of my lawns?

You can either improve the drainage, radically - which does NOT mean
top-dressing with sharp sand - or learn to love your moss.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Bob H writes:

| Ok, so are all of you who posted replies saying I should let the moss
| take over both of my lawns?

You can either improve the drainage, radically - which does NOT mean
top-dressing with sharp sand - or learn to love your moss.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The soil in both gardens is rather heavy and firm, but not with any
clay. What is involved to improve drainage radically?
Maybe I should learn to love moss, as it won't grow as quick!

Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob H writes:
| |
| | Ok, so are all of you who posted replies saying I should let the moss
| | take over both of my lawns?
|
| You can either improve the drainage, radically - which does NOT mean
| top-dressing with sharp sand - or learn to love your moss.
|
| The soil in both gardens is rather heavy and firm, but not with any
| clay. What is involved to improve drainage radically?
| Maybe I should learn to love moss, as it won't grow as quick!

I should be surprised if it has no clay - only the most extreme soils
in the UK don't.

You need to dig it over to a depth of 1-2' to loosen it. Not a quick
task, and not compatible with using the lawn while you do it! Lawn
aerators MAY help, but don't bet on it - however you could try.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Steve Harris wrote:
In article , (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

You can either improve the drainage, radically - which does NOT mean
top-dressing with sharp sand - or learn to love your moss.

I wonder if moss on lawns is more than a simple case of dampness?

I have *very* light sandy soil which hardly ever supports puddles. Even in last years
Gloucestershire floods puddles vanished within 30 minutes of the rain stopping.

I have increasing moss on my lawn.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

I have some moss in my lawn, but not a lot. The lawn was laid by a
professional landscape company. Having prepared the ground they then put
about 3 inches of a mixture of loam and sand over the top for drainage,
a major undertaking I would have thought.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
Each year I get some problem with moss mostly on my front lawn, but this
year it more prolific and has nearly covered my back lawn.
I have used 'Evergreeen' feed, weed and mosskiller, which it did, then I
raked up about 90 odd percent of it on both lawns, and now I have ended
up with quite a few bare areas with not much grass.
After cutting both lawns I have seen that there are still a few small
areas of moss where I missed when treating the lawns.

What should I do now, or what sequence of events should I follow to get
both lawns looking better again?

Thanks
Thats the problem with these all in one treatments. Always judge which is the bigger portion - grass or weeds? before applying. Then you'll know what will be left, grass or soil!

Moss is a 'short daylight' plant thats why it grows in the winter and disappears in the summer.

In spring, scarify the grass with a metal tyne rake. Its a series of wire prongs that get right into the thatch. Give it a good raking which will remove some, not all of the moss and the dead thatch that exists at the grass roots. This will let in more oxygen and help with drainage.

Through the usmmer feed the lawn, I use a liquid feed called 'Lawn Magic' which I think is better than pellets which can burn the lawn if it doesnt rain soon after application. Best applied with a Superspray which attache sto the hosepipe or its time consuming applying via watering can, but the stuff works a treat. Get both mail order from www.superspray.co.uk have a look at this picture

http://www.superspray.co.uk/feeding%20long%20lawn.JPG

To repair small bare patches left by hand weeding [ removing larger weeds by cutting off their roots low down into the ground] I have couple of pot carrying trays from th eGC which I fill the circles with compost and sow grass seed. You produce circle of new turf which will fit into the space left and look very nice straight away!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
Each year I get some problem with moss mostly on my front lawn, but this
year it more prolific and has nearly covered my back lawn.
I have used 'Evergreeen' feed, weed and mosskiller, which it did, then I
raked up about 90 odd percent of it on both lawns, and now I have ended
up with quite a few bare areas with not much grass.
After cutting both lawns I have seen that there are still a few small
areas of moss where I missed when treating the lawns.

What should I do now, or what sequence of events should I follow to get
both lawns looking better again?

Thanks
To get rid of moss without a lot of digging and working. Here is a quick fix . Dissolve 4 tablespoons of sulphate of Iron in a watering can, warm water, and stir to make sure the mix is dissolved. Note Sulphate of Iron will stain pavoir bricks tar paths and concrete so mix and use carefully. Then water it in. I use a sprinkle bar and practiced with small areas first, just enough to wet the areas. I now never put sulphate of iron on by broadcast method as I believe over time high dosage encourages Poa Annua. The best thing to do is do a small area with the watering can and if results are OK (the grass will green up to)remember your method and stick to it. I'm one to preach at the moment as my own lawn needs the same treatment and I havent got round to it!!!!!! You can do this in winter too, I tried it and it works.Lovely green colour. I got the idea from a gardener who writes articles in local farming newspaper and lives in southern Ireland.
alwyn

Large field/lawn moss problem Greenears Lawns 2 20-03-2013 01:03 PM
moss problem jjdecay Lawns 1 15-05-2007 08:27 PM
Lush moss...Help !!!problem john Lawns 17 13-03-2006 04:18 AM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 04:59 PM
Big moss problem Johnboy United Kingdom 19 08-03-2005 07:31 AM