Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flowering Brocolli

I've decided to lift my flowering broccoli. However, the stems (as you
are all aware, I'm sure) are quite thick and solid. Will they rot down
on a compost heap readily?

Excuse my questioning, but I've not grown it before.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Saxman" wrote in message
I've decided to lift my flowering broccoli. However, the stems (as you
are all aware, I'm sure) are quite thick and solid. Will they rot down on
a compost heap readily?

Excuse my questioning, but I've not grown it before.

I chop them up with a small axe to allow them to rot down quicker, and
dispose of the roots.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Saxman writes
I've decided to lift my flowering broccoli. However, the stems (as you
are all aware, I'm sure) are quite thick and solid. Will they rot down
on a compost heap readily?

Not readily, but eventually. Better shredded, if you have a shredder.
--
Kay
Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Saxman wrote:
I've decided to lift my flowering broccoli. However, the stems (as you
are all aware, I'm sure) are quite thick and solid. Will they rot down
on a compost heap readily?

Excuse my questioning, but I've not grown it before.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, I meant sprouting broccoli. I do have a shredder, so Ill give it
a try.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Saxman wrote:

Sorry, I meant sprouting broccoli. I do have a shredder, so Ill give it
a try.

I've seen broccoli stems shredded (and I suspect the outer rind removed)
and sold as "broccoli slaw!" If they're not too tough, might be worth a
go.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Saxman wrote:

Sorry, I meant sprouting broccoli. I do have a shredder, so Ill give it
a try.

I've seen broccoli stems shredded (and I suspect the outer rind removed)
and sold as "broccoli slaw!" If they're not too tough, might be worth a
go.

Anything with tough stems, I slit lengthways when putting in the compost to
let the bugs get at all of it.

Steve

Old 05-05-2008, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Saxman wrote:

Sorry, I meant sprouting broccoli. I do have a shredder, so Ill give it
a try.

I've seen broccoli stems shredded (and I suspect the outer rind removed)
and sold as "broccoli slaw!" If they're not too tough, might be worth a
go.

Anything with tough stems, I slit lengthways when putting in the compost to
let the bugs get at all of it.

Steve

Most shredders love clogging on tough brassica stalks. Steve's system of
lengthways split works for me.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Most shredders love clogging on tough brassica stalks. Steve's system of
lengthways split works for me.

I thought that too. Juices/saps in materials tend to clog. Splitting
seems like a good option.