Old 25-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Ophelia

Default One wasp

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Michael Saunby

Can any wasp experts say if wasps have much need for water at present?

As they are making paper from wood with the addition of saliva, surely
they must need water once nest building?

My insect book says a wasps nest may contain 20,000 individuals all
raised on insects "many of them harmful" so dont kill the queens in
spring. Thats what my book says.
I say "**** the little vespa b*******"!

MIke you're a hard man!!! Um..did you mean 'swat'?

Old 25-04-2003, 06:20 PM
The Reid

Following up to Ophelia

I say "**** the little vespa b*******"!

MIke you're a hard man!!! I wonder..did you mean 'swat'?

Yes, sorry, a slip of the keyboard. One letter along the alphabet and
a world of difference!

Mike "forked tongue" Reid
Old 25-04-2003, 06:20 PM
The Reid

Following up to Ophelia

I say "**** the little vespa b*******"!

MIke you're a hard man!!! Um..did you mean 'swat'?

No, I heard Craig Charles use it in an episode of Red Dwarf, Liverpool
dialect?

****
noun
a) vulgar slang a woman's genitals.
b) a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious.
c) verb [with obj.] Brit. informal hit or punch (someone).

ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: of
unknown origin.

Mike "forked tongue" Reid
Old 25-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Michael Saunby

"H" wrote in message
And you're confident that you can tell the difference between wasps and
honey bees?

Yup.... Having had my hands in many a bee hive, I think I can recognise

them
by now ;-)

Ok, I'll believe you. So far this year I've seen a lot of honey bees (but
then there is a hive near the back door), quite a few bumble bees and a
couple of queen wasps.

'Cos it strikes me that if some folks are already killing what
they believe to be wasps, then they might actually be killing

beneficial
pollinators - rather daft for gardeners.

Absolutely. However, wasps are also *good* for the garden, cleaning up

plant
pests such as aphids as well as dead wood, and plant matter. So why kill

any
of them if they aren't harming us?

I can't see anything short of a plague of wasps making much impact on dead
wood. Even a large wasps nest when empty weighs just a few ounces.

Can any wasp experts say if wasps have much need for water at present?

Well, according to www.jungleformula.co.uk, the people who do the
anti-midge/wasp stuff, wasps in the UK are out looking for water, meat

and
wood pulp from April to mid August.

Without doubt they're getting started, but I've not found any wasps nests
here yet, and we usually get one or two in the outbuildings, and they start
very small. You'll not get large numbers of wasps for a while yet.

Michael Saunby

Old 25-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Ophelia

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Ophelia

I say "**** the little vespa b*******"!

MIke you're a hard man!!! Um..did you mean 'swat'?

No, I heard Craig Charles use it in an episode of Red Dwarf, Liverpool
dialect?

****
noun
a) vulgar slang a woman's genitals.
b) a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious.
c) verb [with obj.] Brit. informal hit or punch (someone).

ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: of
unknown origin.

Mike "forked tongue" Reid

Yes.. forked tongue indeed) Sorry for my slip in sending it twice. I
thought I had lost the first)

Old 25-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Paul Rooney

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:14:13 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Michael Saunby

Can any wasp experts say if wasps have much need for water at present?

As they are making paper from wood with the addition of saliva, surely
they must need water once nest building?

My insect book says a wasps nest may contain 20,000 individuals all
raised on insects "many of them harmful" so dont kill the queens in
spring. Thats what my book says.
I say "**** the little vespa b*******"!

Ha ha! But did you know that squashed wasp attracts other wasps? I
can't remember who told me that, but it's true.
We get too worked up over them - a sting isn't so bad or so likely,
after all. We were at a cafe a few summers back on a very hot day, and
there were quite a few wasps around the outside tables. There was a
youngish couple with a baby there. When a wasp approaced their table
they got quite hysterical, ultimately running off into the cafe,
leaving the kid strapped in its high chair screaming its head off!
What a pair! That kid is going to be another of tomorrow's
vespaphobes, without a doubt.

--
Paul

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com/myweb/index.htm
Updated 19 April 03
Old 25-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Peter Ashby

In article ,
"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote:

Bee sting pain lasts longer though especially if you don't get that sting
out quickly.

Oh boy! There I was once cycling to school, going fast down a hill. A
bee collides with my mouth and stings me inside my cheek. By the time I
have the bike stopped the entire contents of the venom sac have gone
into my cheek (I could feel it pumping). By the time I got to school the
whole left side of my face had swelled up. What fun that was.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Old 25-04-2003, 08:56 PM
The Reid

Following up to Paul Rooney

People do over react, I would have ****ted it with my bare fist :-)
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 25-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Ophelia

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Paul Rooney

When a wasp approaced their table
they got quite hysterical, ultimately running off into the cafe,
leaving the kid strapped in its high chair screaming its head off!

People do over react, I would have ****ted it with my bare fist :-)

If my baby were there I would have been bitten to death rather than leave my
baby!
That includes my grandson!!!!!!

Old 25-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Paul Rooney

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:05:17 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"The Reid" wrote in message
.. .
Following up to Paul Rooney

When a wasp approaced their table
they got quite hysterical, ultimately running off into the cafe,
leaving the kid strapped in its high chair screaming its head off!

People do over react, I would have ****ted it with my bare fist :-)

If my baby were there I would have been bitten to death rather than leave my
baby!
That includes my grandson!!!!!!

Yes, pair of barstewards, they were - I should have taken their food.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

Following up to Paul Rooney

When a wasp approaced their table
they got quite hysterical, ultimately running off into the cafe,
leaving the kid strapped in its high chair screaming its head off!

People do over react, I would have ****ted it with my bare fist :-)

Nasty man, doing that to a tied-up baby...

Janet.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Alan Holmes

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Michael Saunby" wrote in message

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
I personally wouldn't have put the "even" in front of the hornets.

They
don't occur where I live now, but when we lived further south we had
them in the garden. They're much more docile and less aggressive

than
wasps - big stripey pussycats, in fact :-)

Malcolm

That's how I think of bumble bees. My wife runs a mile, but I think

they
are sort
of "cute". I can be dead heading plants and they land in a flower next

my
hand - they never seem the slightest bit interested in me so I leave

them
to it.
Live and let live. Wasps on the other hand - its open warfare!

Bumble bees I remove from the house by closing my hand around them -

since
they rarely sting and it doesn't hurt much if they do. Wasps I'll admit

tend to flick with a fingernail and then flick them out the window -

some
live, some don't. Hornets I remove using a glass and a piece of paper.
The same for honey bees, though often they can be directed with a hand

wave
or too.

For those that want to try the experimental method of working out what

you
have by how much the sting hurts - wasp stings hurt a little (rather

more
than a nettle) and a bee sting hurts like hell and the sting is left

behind
with the venom sack still pumping. Not sure what a hornet sting is

like,
probably like a wasp.

Hmmm the wasp that stung me left its sting in my leg!

I would have thought it unlikely to have been a wasp then,
more likely to have been a bee.

Wasps are able to withdraw their stings, bee stings are
retained in the skin.

Alan

Old 04-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Kay Easton

In article , david david@abacusnurser
ies.freeserve.co.uk writes

I have had a wasp allergy for the last 30 years and would describe a wasp
sting as a great deal more than nettle, whilst bee sting is not so bad....I
was once done over by bees for rotovating to close to a hive, The Dr
removed over 20 stings from my head, and it caused me to take the rest of
the day off work.
2 or 3 Wasps would have had me of work for several days.

I have no wasp allergy, and, although it hurts a bit initially, it
causes me less trouble in the next few days than does a mosquito bite.
Otoh, my father has an allergy, and a wasp sting will cause his whole
arm to swell.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-05-2003, 05:56 PM
MC Emily

We've been seeing wasps for weeks in Lincolnshire.

Jaqy

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Doesn't make a summer but I saw one this evening

From the English Riviera If you live in Paradise why would you want
to go abroad for a holiday? Answers on a postcard to

http://www.cornishlight.freeserve.co.uk/rame.htm

Finding a wasp's nest The Filers Lawns 5 24-10-2003 06:02 AM
Anyone know what kind of wasp this is? Jesse Greenawalt Gardening 4 18-07-2003 02:12 PM
Anyone know what kind of wasp this is? Jesse Greenawalt Gardening 0 17-07-2003 06:12 AM
wasp at my pond BODKAZOO Ponds (alternative) 1 26-04-2003 05:44 PM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 06:44 PM