Old 23-04-2003, 09:58 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default One wasp

Doesn't make a summer but I saw one this evening

From the English Riviera If you live in Paradise why would you want to go
abroad for a holiday? Answers on a postcard to
http://www.cornishlight.freeserve.co.uk/rame.htm

Old 24-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Andy

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:53:12 +0000 (UTC), "The Devil's Advocate"
wrote:

Doesn't make a summer but I saw one this evening

Me to. In Cambridgeshire. It was a small odd looking one.

Andy

Old 24-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Ophelia

wrote:

Doesn't make a summer but I saw one this evening

Me to. In Cambridgeshire. It was a small odd looking one.

We had one last week.

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 24-04-2003, 09:32 AM
The Reid

Following up to Ophelia

We had one last week.

for dinner?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 24-04-2003, 09:44 AM
geoff

Urgers,

"One wasp" at this time of year is usually a queen out of hibernation
looking for somewhere to "set up shop". A very large one might be a hornet
which have a fearful reputation but are not so bad as wasps. Whichever you
see, please do not kill them for they are great scavengers even though they
annoy one at times.

The swallows are still coming - saw lots yesterday crossing the Solent.

Regards

Old 24-04-2003, 10:44 AM

"One wasp" at this time of year is usually a queen out of hibernation

Been having my usual flight of wasps coming to my pond to collect water for
a while now.

- h

Old 24-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Snowman

"geoff" wrote in message
Urgers,

"One wasp" at this time of year is usually a queen out of hibernation
looking for somewhere to "set up shop". A very large one might be a

hornet
which have a fearful reputation but are not so bad as wasps. Whichever

you
see, please do not kill them for they are great scavengers even though

they
annoy one at times.

I'm afraid we killed our's - it was in our loft bedroom and it's certainly
wasn't going to be allowed to "set up shop" there!

Old 24-04-2003, 10:44 AM
The Reid

Following up to geoff

Whichever you
see, please do not kill them for they are great scavengers even though they
annoy one at times.

annoy is probably an understatment if there is a nest nearbye and you
want to eat in the garden!
Old 24-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:48:31 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Doesn't make a summer but I saw one this evening

Me to. In Cambridgeshire. It was a small odd looking one.

We had one last week.

I've been swatting the little ( or not so little ) buggers in my
workshop with a badders racquet for about the last fortnight.
Either they've been overwintering in the eaves, or they're attracted
by the laurel bushes outside and are finding their way in
inadvertently.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 24-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Simon Avery

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote:

Hello The

TDsA Doesn't make a summer but I saw one this evening

I killed a Queen yesterday. They're starting to come out of
hibernation and are hunting around for nesting sites.

If you see one, get the bugger quick before it turns itself into a
nest!

Old 24-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Mark Allison

I've got about 20 of them trying to make a nest in my cavity wall. I've had
to fill any breathing holes in the wall with blu tack, to stop them
building.

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
Doesn't make a summer but I saw one this evening

From the English Riviera If you live in Paradise why would you want to go

Old 24-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Michael Saunby

"H" wrote in message
"One wasp" at this time of year is usually a queen out of hibernation

Been having my usual flight of wasps coming to my pond to collect water

for
a while now.

Now that doesn't seem very likely. As a beekeeper, and having had visitors
to my home in the past declare "those are bees?? - I thought those were
wasps" I do rather despair at many folks ability to distinguish in even a
very basic way between wasps, honey bees and solitary bees. Honey bees
have been flying in large numbers for many weeks now - ours have been
enjoying the gorse and willow flowers.

I'll admit that wasps can be a nuisance to those with fruit trees, and to
many others in the autumn when they disperse. But even hornets are rarely a
problem for most folk - we get them here and they will raid beehives, but I
wouldn't kill them.

Michael Saunby

Old 24-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:31:13 +0100, "geoff"
wrote:

Urgers,

"One wasp" at this time of year is usually a queen out of hibernation
looking for somewhere to "set up shop". A very large one might be a hornet
which have a fearful reputation but are not so bad as wasps. Whichever you
see, please do not kill them for they are great scavengers even though they
annoy one at times.

A couple of year ago I was busily working away at my lathe when a
sharp pain shot through my back.
The shock it gave me caused me to jump - and with my hand on one of
the feed wheels I bumped the lathe tool into the piece I was working
on, shattering the work.

It was a bloody wasp, it had crawled down my neck and stung my back -
I just didn't hear or feel the thing coming.

I got stung two more times that day, both in the same fashion.

I'll leave wasps alone in their own environment - much in the same way
that whilst I'll squash slugs on my veggy patch and flower beds I
won't squash them elsewhere - in their place these creatures have a
right to exist and perform a useful function.

I had an interesting encounter with a hornet last year...the results
of which might bring forth a few chuckles.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Notes/Yoiks.htm

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 24-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Serena Blanchflower

wrote:

Doesn't make a summer but I saw one this evening

I've had one or two around for about the past month. The first one I
saw this year seemed fascinated by my bed head for some reason. For
several days it was a frequent visitor, inspecting my bed carefully
before going outside again. I don't think she was eating it, so I'm not
expecting to find a blue cotton wasps nest anywhere, but I don't know
what the fascination was.

I'm not too bothered by wasps, but I did find it rather disconcerting
listening to her buzzing only a foot or so from my head!

--
Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)
Old 24-04-2003, 01:32 PM

Now that doesn't seem very likely. As a beekeeper, and having had
visitors
to my home in the past declare "those are bees?? - I thought those were
wasps" I do rather despair at many folks ability to distinguish in even a
very basic way between wasps, honey bees and solitary bees.

Having in the past been involved with bee-keeping, I do know the difference
between bees and wasps. I get both in my garden. The wasps come alone but
from the same direction. They fly over to my pond, land on a lily pad of
suchlike, have a drink them fly off back where they come from. They aren't
aggressive to me so I've left them alone. Live and let live.

Best,

- h

Finding a wasp's nest The Filers Lawns 5 24-10-2003 07:02 AM
Anyone know what kind of wasp this is? Jesse Greenawalt Gardening 4 18-07-2003 03:12 PM
Anyone know what kind of wasp this is? Jesse Greenawalt Gardening 0 17-07-2003 07:12 AM
wasp at my pond BODKAZOO Ponds (alternative) 1 26-04-2003 06:44 PM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 07:44 PM