GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Holboellia latifolia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173913-holboellia-latifolia.html)

Space[_2_] 05-05-2008 10:22 AM

Holboellia latifolia

A while ago it was suggested in this newsgroup that I should buy Holboellia
latifolia to cover a trellis (to be used as a screen from next doors
conservatory)

The trellis will be 6ft by 4ft.

The on-line supplier sells these plants in 7 litre pots. how many pots
would you think I would need?

TIA

Nick Maclaren 05-05-2008 10:35 AM

Holboellia latifolia

In article ,
"Space" writes:
| A while ago it was suggested in this newsgroup that I should buy Holboellia
| latifolia to cover a trellis (to be used as a screen from next doors
| conservatory)
|
| The trellis will be 6ft by 4ft.
|
| The on-line supplier sells these plants in 7 litre pots. how many pots
| would you think I would need?

One. At most. I have difficulty in pruning mine to keep within that
amount of space.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_3_] 05-05-2008 10:35 AM

Holboellia latifolia

On 5/5/08 10:22, in article , "Space"
wrote:

A while ago it was suggested in this newsgroup that I should buy Holboellia
latifolia to cover a trellis (to be used as a screen from next doors
conservatory)

The trellis will be 6ft by 4ft.

The on-line supplier sells these plants in 7 litre pots. how many pots
would you think I would need?

TIA

One! It's a vigorous plant and you may find you will want/need to give it a
haircut every autumn. We've never seen one of ours fruit but we've had
fruit from the one my son has in his Jersey garden, so you might be lucky.
Then you can go in for propagating your own!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Space[_2_] 10-05-2008 07:01 PM

Holboellia latifolia

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 5/5/08 10:22, in article ,
"Space"
wrote:

A while ago it was suggested in this newsgroup that I should buy
Holboellia
latifolia to cover a trellis (to be used as a screen from next doors
conservatory)

The trellis will be 6ft by 4ft.

The on-line supplier sells these plants in 7 litre pots. how many pots
would you think I would need?

TIA

One! It's a vigorous plant and you may find you will want/need to give it
haircut every autumn. We've never seen one of ours fruit but we've had
fruit from the one my son has in his Jersey garden, so you might be lucky.
Then you can go in for propagating your own!

thanks for the replies. I decided against on-line ordering and so.... a 160
mile drive today I now have this to plant. hopefully it will turn a little
cooler so that I can make my effort today worthwhile

Sacha[_3_] 10-05-2008 11:19 PM

Holboellia latifolia

On 10/5/08 19:01, in article ,
"Space" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 5/5/08 10:22, in article
,
"Space"
wrote:

A while ago it was suggested in this newsgroup that I should buy
Holboellia
latifolia to cover a trellis (to be used as a screen from next doors
conservatory)

The trellis will be 6ft by 4ft.

The on-line supplier sells these plants in 7 litre pots. how many pots
would you think I would need?

TIA

One! It's a vigorous plant and you may find you will want/need to give it
haircut every autumn. We've never seen one of ours fruit but we've had
fruit from the one my son has in his Jersey garden, so you might be lucky.
Then you can go in for propagating your own!

thanks for the replies. I decided against on-line ordering and so.... a 160
mile drive today I now have this to plant. hopefully it will turn a little
cooler so that I can make my effort today worthwhile

That's dedication for you and I do hope it pays off!