GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173924-plant-id-please.html)

David in Normandy[_7_] 05-05-2008 02:03 PM

Plant ID please

Anyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

'Mike' 05-05-2008 02:05 PM

Plant ID please

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Anyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

:-((

Looks like Deadly Nightshade to me

Mike

Stewart Robert Hinsley 05-05-2008 02:18 PM

Plant ID please

In message , David in
Normandy writes
Anyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

The foliage and habit rather reminded of some labiates, but the
inflorescences are wrong, so I had a look at some of the related
families. It looks to me as if it's a Scrophularia (Figwort), but I
can't tell which one.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

K 05-05-2008 02:36 PM

Plant ID please

David in Normandy writes
Anyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

Scrophularia (figwort). UK native, member of the same family as
foxglove. Not invasive, up to you as to whether you keep it. Flowers are
not showy, though quite interesting viewed up close.
--
Kay

David in Normandy[_7_] 05-05-2008 03:14 PM

Plant ID please

K says...
David in Normandy writes
Anyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

Scrophularia (figwort). UK native, member of the same family as
foxglove. Not invasive, up to you as to whether you keep it. Flowers are
not showy, though quite interesting viewed up close.

Thanks for the replies - I didn't find them for a while -
for some reason my posting was added as a reply to someone
else's plant ID request thread in my newsreader. Strange.

[email protected] 05-05-2008 04:08 PM

Plant ID please

On Mon, 5 May 2008 15:03:52 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

Anyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

If it's attractive and you want it the it's a flower. If not then...

Stewart Robert Hinsley 05-05-2008 06:19 PM

Plant ID please

In message , David in
Normandy writes
K says...
David in Normandy writes
Anyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

Scrophularia (figwort). UK native, member of the same family as
foxglove. Not invasive, up to you as to whether you keep it. Flowers are
not showy, though quite interesting viewed up close.

Thanks for the replies - I didn't find them for a while -
for some reason my posting was added as a reply to someone
else's plant ID request thread in my newsreader. Strange.

Some newsreaders thread posts according to the subject line, rather than
the references. (They're not supposed to, not that it stops them.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Des Higgins 06-05-2008 11:41 AM

Plant ID please

On May 5, 2:36 pm, K wrote:
David in Normandy writesAnyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

Scrophularia (figwort). UK native, member of the same family as
foxglove. Not invasive, up to you as to whether you keep it. Flowers are
not showy, though quite interesting viewed up close.
--
Kay

I am impressed once again with yer ability to spot plants from
photos! I would not have guess that until you said it. From what I
remember, it also has an odd very pungent smoky smell (crush a leaf or
stem).

Des

David in Normandy[_7_] 06-05-2008 02:32 PM

Plant ID please

Des Higgins says...
On May 5, 2:36 pm, K wrote:
David in Normandy writesAnyone recognise this? Is it a weed or a flower?

It is approx one foot high in the photo. We have another
one growing nearby that is approx 18 inches high.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim6725a.jpg

Scrophularia (figwort). UK native, member of the same family as
foxglove. Not invasive, up to you as to whether you keep it. Flowers are
not showy, though quite interesting viewed up close.
--
Kay

I am impressed once again with yer ability to spot plants from
photos! I would not have guess that until you said it. From what I
remember, it also has an odd very pungent smoky smell (crush a leaf or
stem).

Des

I've just been out and crushed a leaf. Yes, pungent smoky
smell. It is a bit like the smell of strimmed nettles but
stronger.