GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning Laurel Hedge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173927-pruning-laurel-hedge.html)

judith[_4_] 05-05-2008 04:06 PM

Pruning Laurel Hedge

I want to cut a laurel hedge back quite severely - some of the
branches will be about 1 inch diameter.

Should I "paint" the exposed surface with something - or just leave to
the air.

(Obviously if the answer is yes, the next question is with what ;-)

Nick Maclaren 05-05-2008 04:37 PM

Pruning Laurel Hedge

In article ,
judith writes:

| I want to cut a laurel hedge back quite severely - some of the
| branches will be about 1 inch diameter.
|
| Should I "paint" the exposed surface with something - or just leave to
| the air.

If you discover a way to kill laurel, there are many people who
would like to know how! In theory, you might get a fungal infection,
but I haven't heard of it happening to laurel - others might have, I
suppose. I would just leave it. Generally, even cutting 6" branches
of laurel doesn't seem to do more than make it aggressive.

| (Obviously if the answer is yes, the next question is with what ;-)

Well, I would answer SBK :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_3_] 05-05-2008 06:23 PM

Pruning Laurel Hedge

On 5/5/08 16:06, in article ,
"judith" wrote:

I want to cut a laurel hedge back quite severely - some of the
branches will be about 1 inch diameter.

Should I "paint" the exposed surface with something - or just leave to
the air.

(Obviously if the answer is yes, the next question is with what ;-)

We don't. When a hedge needs cutting, Matthew just goes all Sweeney Todd
with a chainsaw. I believe current thinking is that there's more danger of
sealing infection in than not. Or something. But I really wouldn't worry
about it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

K 05-05-2008 11:40 PM

Pruning Laurel Hedge

judith writes

I want to cut a laurel hedge back quite severely - some of the
branches will be about 1 inch diameter.

Should I "paint" the exposed surface with something - or just leave to
the air.

(Obviously if the answer is yes, the next question is with what ;-)

I wouldn't (and didn't when we cut back our big laurel with branches
4-6in dia) - laurels in my experience are pretty tough.
--
Kay