GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dogwood tree cuttings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/17395-dogwood-tree-cuttings.html)

Pete 23-04-2003 09:34 PM

Dogwood tree cuttings

how do i get the cuttings to grow?
where should they be trimmed to?
Does rooting powder help?

Anne Jackson 24-04-2003 08:08 PM

Dogwood tree cuttings

The message
from Pete contains these words:

how do i get the cuttings to grow?
where should they be trimmed to?
Does rooting powder help?

I just cut them off "any old where", stick them in a big
box (I have a salmon box I keep for the purpose) of sandy
compost, and 90 per cent of them root.

I've never used rooting powder, so can't comment on its efficacy.

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

hayley 24-04-2003 10:08 PM

Dogwood tree cuttings

I just cut off bits randomly and stuck them straight into my (heavy clay,
damp) soil last winter to brighten it up. About half have rooted. The year
before when I went to lots of trouble using rooting hormone, plant pots,
potting mix etc none rooted. I also find that sticking them in water (until
then show roots - several weeks) helps, and that longer sticks seem to do
better than shorter ones.
Hayley

Dave Hunt 25-04-2003 12:20 PM

Dogwood tree cuttings

Subject: Dogwood tree cuttings
From: "hayley"
Date: 24/04/2003 21:57 GMT Standard Time
I just cut off bits randomly and stuck them straight into my (heavy clay,
damp) soil last winter to brighten it up. About half have rooted. The year
before when I went to lots of trouble using rooting hormone, plant pots,
potting mix etc none rooted. I also find that sticking them in water (until
then show roots - several weeks) helps, and that longer sticks seem to do
better than shorter ones.
Hayley

Cut them just below a leaf node, about 8-10 inches long, cut the top (at an
angle to avoid rainwater damage) just above a leaf node ...push them into the
ground leaving just a couple of inches showing (for ease of planting I usually
make a hole with an thin iron bar first), water well, and you should get most
of them to root and grow.
Cut them back hard each March, just above new branching growth, and in a few
you will have a dense mass of stems.

Dave Hunt...Shropshire
----share what you know...learn what you don't----