GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedysarum coronarium (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173998-hedysarum-coronarium.html)

Jeff Layman 06-05-2008 07:21 PM

Hedysarum coronarium

Anyone got any idea why the common name of this is French Honeysuckle?

I've grown it from seed a couple of times, and seen it in several gardens.
But as far as I am concerned (and others I have asked) it has no scent at
all - not even that slight scent of honey which quite a few plants have.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Larry Gagnon 08-05-2008 03:18 AM

Hedysarum coronarium

On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:21:26 -0700, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Anyone got any idea why the common name of this is French Honeysuckle?

Sulla.

Steve Harris 10-05-2008 01:30 PM

Hedysarum coronarium

In article , (Jeff Layman)
wrote:

Anyone got any idea why the common name of this is French Honeysuckle?

Some plant names don't make a lot of sense? Or whoever named it attached more significance to
some feature other than the scent? Or he was a marketing man? :-)

I've grown it from seed a couple of times, and seen it in several gardens.

I'm having a second try at it. Last time, it got bad powdery mildew. I did have it in very dry
soil though.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/