Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mower recommendation

Requirements:
14-18" cut
Very wide wheels or (preferably) rollers
NOT self-propelled
Preferably mains-electric rotary

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Requirements:
14-18" cut
Very wide wheels or (preferably) rollers
NOT self-propelled
Preferably mains-electric rotary

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I like our Hayter, chassis is ally and spares are available should they be
needed.

Ours is quite old although it doesn't look it but this appears to be the
current model...

http://www.hayter.co.uk/pages/consum...electric.mhtml

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-05-2008, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jal jal is offline

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Requirements:
14-18" cut
Very wide wheels or (preferably) rollers
NOT self-propelled
Preferably mains-electric rotary

Probably not of interest, but you do say "Not self-propelled": let me
put in a word for the Qualcast 380 push-mower (38cm cut):

http://tinyurl.com/3kntmf

I've used one of these for some years; the old one having got tired last
year, I bought another a couple of weeks ago. Uses no energy (except
your own), and makes NO NOISE (except the ancient traditional one). Cost
49 quid at B&Q.

My neighbours have power mowers, and I swear they take longer to cut
their lawns than I do, with my little push-mower.

One thing: these are lawn mowers, not grass cutters. That is, they do
not stand up well to wood debris, much less stones. (Whereas your
average power mower will fling such debris aside.)

j.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
jal writes:

| Probably not of interest, but you do say "Not self-propelled": let me
| put in a word for the Qualcast 380 push-mower (38cm cut):
|
| http://tinyurl.com/3kntmf
|
| I've used one of these for some years; the old one having got tired last
| year, I bought another a couple of weeks ago. Uses no energy (except
| your own), and makes NO NOISE (except the ancient traditional one). Cost
| 49 quid at B&Q.

Thanks. I have used them, too, and they work well when properly
set up and kept sharp.

| My neighbours have power mowers, and I swear they take longer to cut
| their lawns than I do, with my little push-mower.

Sigh. I have a neighbour that used to take 2+ hours to cut 5mx5m
of lawn with an extremely noisy petrol mower, every Sunday. It
seems to have died, and they now have one that does the job more
quietly in just over an hour. I mow a larger area in 15 minutes.

| One thing: these are lawn mowers, not grass cutters. That is, they do
| not stand up well to wood debris, much less stones. (Whereas your
| average power mower will fling such debris aside.)

That is one reason that I prefer rotary. My location is called
Stone Hill, and there are trees that drop twigs.

To Bob Hobden: thanks - that looks about right.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.