GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarb ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/174043-rhubarb.html)

the_constructor 07-05-2008 10:08 PM

Rhubarb ?

Last year I was given a rhubarb plant which I planted in the garden.
Prepared a plot and dug in a bag full of compost.

Over the last couple of weeks, the rhubarb has shot up... probably because
it has got a little warmer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first harvest..... Is
this correct ?

2. When should I harvest the plant ?

James

beccabunga 08-05-2008 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_constructor (Post 789920)
Last year I was given a rhubarb plant which I planted in the garden.
Prepared a plot and dug in a bag full of compost.

Over the last couple of weeks, the rhubarb has shot up... probably because
it has got a little warmer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first harvest..... Is
this correct ?

2. When should I harvest the plant ?

James

If it is growing strongly, it won't harm to take a few sticks.

You take what you need when you want it - or are you intending to freeze or make jam with it?

The Old OakTree 08-05-2008 09:30 AM

Rhubarb ?

1. I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first
harvest..... Is this correct ?

I've never heard of that, and I have always eaten all the stalks
I've picked.

2. When should I harvest the plant ?

You can pull stalks as soon as you like. I pulled my first ones
this year two or three weeks ago.

Just don't pull them all at once - take a few and eat (or
freeze) them, then a few more and so on. They are sweet and
tender in spring, and they get tougher as the season goes on,
but if you always choose fresh young stalks they're always good.

If you see stalks with flower heads developing, cut them out and
throw them away to prevent the plant bolting, as it won't put
out fresh stalks once it's done that.

Mary Fisher 08-05-2008 10:37 AM

Rhubarb ?

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Last year I was given a rhubarb plant which I planted in the garden.
Prepared a plot and dug in a bag full of compost.

Over the last couple of weeks, the rhubarb has shot up... probably because
it has got a little warmer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first harvest.....
Is this correct ?

I've never heard that, we dined on ours on Tuesday and are still here ...

2. When should I harvest the plant ?

When you want to use it.

Mary

Kase[_2_] 08-05-2008 10:43 AM

Rhubarb ?

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Last year I was given a rhubarb plant which I planted in the garden.
Prepared a plot and dug in a bag full of compost.

Over the last couple of weeks, the rhubarb has shot up... probably because
it has got a little warmer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first harvest.....
Is this correct ?

A little bit of Chinese Whispers methinks!

It's not that you don't eat the first harvest (if that were the case then
forced rhubarb would all have to be chucked!) If the plant is young or
small, you don't harvest from it in the first year to allow the plant to
build up a good root system. However, if it has thrown up plenty of sturdy
sticks then it will not harm to take a few so long as you stop picking
mid-end June and let the plant build up it's reserves for next year.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-05-2008 11:45 AM

Rhubarb ?

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"the_constructor" wrote in message
news:DZGdnbwWLsCgh7_VnZ2dnUVZ8sijnZ2d@plusnet.. .
Last year I was given a rhubarb plant which I planted in the garden.
Prepared a plot and dug in a bag full of compost.

Over the last couple of weeks, the rhubarb has shot up... probably because
it has got a little warmer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first harvest.....
Is this correct ?

I've never heard that, we dined on ours on Tuesday and are still here ...

A reason for not harvesting rhubarb in its first season (as opposed to
the first leaves of the season) would be to allow the plant to establish
properly - too aggressive harvesting would weaken the plant. It sounds
as if his plant is sufficiently established that at least light
harvesting wouldn't be a problem.

(Over the years I've dug up the old rhubarb bed on the allotment, which
when I inherited it was mixed with brambles, nettles and couch grass,
and established a new, smaller, bed. I left most of the plants in the
new bed to their own devices last year.)

--
alias Ernest Major

Cat(h) 08-05-2008 01:59 PM

Rhubarb ?

On May 8, 11:45*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"the_constructor" wrote in message
news:DZGdnbwWLsCgh7_VnZ2dnUVZ8sijnZ2d@plusnet.. .
Last year I was given a rhubarb plant which I planted in the garden.
Prepared a plot and dug in a bag full of compost.

Over the last couple of weeks, the rhubarb has shot up... probably because
it has got a little warmer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. * *I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first harvest......
Is this correct * * ?

I've never heard that, we dined on ours on Tuesday and are still here ...

A reason for not harvesting rhubarb in its first season (as opposed to
the first leaves of the season) would be to allow the plant to establish
properly - too aggressive harvesting would weaken the plant. It sounds
as if his plant is sufficiently established that at least light
harvesting wouldn't be a problem.

That was how I understood the OP, and that would have been my
response, based on the advice I got in the garden centre where I
bought mine some years ago. There is now way I could have harvested
my rhubarb their first year.
Now, I can just keep pulling.
I was also told to stop harvesting from July onwards, due to the
higher levels of toxins which are supposed to build up in the plant
from then on in the season. Although I seem to recall some people
here rubbishing that. That being said, I generally have had my fill
of rhubarb by July, and there would be more exciting fruits in the
garden by then :-)

Cat(h)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-05-2008 03:13 PM

Rhubarb ?

In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes
On May 8, 11:45*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

I don't know about toxicity later in the season - there have been people
who have said that they've eaten late rhubarb and survived - but I find
that later on in the year rhubarb becomes rather fibrous.

Giving the plant a chance to recover doesn't do any harm either.

Cat(h)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Mary Fisher 08-05-2008 04:55 PM

Rhubarb ?

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On May 8, 11:45 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

That's when the freezer comes into its own!

Mary

Cat(h)

Cat(h) 09-05-2008 11:57 AM

Rhubarb ?

On May 8, 3:13*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes

On May 8, 11:45*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

Very true. The toxicity stories might just be to put manners on the
gluttons :-)

Cat(h)

Cat(h) 09-05-2008 12:06 PM

Rhubarb ?

On May 8, 4:55*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

On May 8, 11:45 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

The freezer is a wonderous thing... I made many of my jams in January
this year...
It's hard to find time to do normal family/household duties, pick
fruit, do the garden, *and* make jam in a summer week end.

Cat(h)

Mary Fisher 09-05-2008 02:12 PM

Rhubarb ?

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

The freezer is a wonderous thing... I made many of my jams in January

this year...

So did I.

It's hard to find time to do normal family/household duties, pick

fruit, do the garden, *and* make jam in a summer week end.

Not only that but the fruit doesn't come in the right quantity at any one
time. It needs to collected over weeks sometimes - raspberries and brambles
particularly.

And rhubarb :-)

Mary

the_constructor 09-05-2008 02:29 PM

Rhubarb ?

"Kase" wrote in message

[...]

My thanks to all who replied.

Rhubarb and ice cream.... Lovely.
Looking forward to making same rhubarb wine.. as well.

James

Mary Fisher 09-05-2008 02:33 PM

Rhubarb ?

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

Rhubarb and ice cream.... Lovely.

I think that nothing beats rhubarb and cream. I'm salivating at the thought!

Mary

Judith in France 09-05-2008 10:11 PM

Rhubarb ?

On May 9, 2:33 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in message

et...

Rhubarb and ice cream.... Lovely.

I think that nothing beats rhubarb and cream. I'm salivating at the thought!

Mary

For me it's rhubarb and custard - especially when made into rhubarb
fool.

Judith