GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where have all the squirrels gone (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/174143-where-have-all-squirrels-gone.html)

Muddymike 09-05-2008 02:03 PM

Where have all the squirrels gone

We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

Mike

Mary Fisher 09-05-2008 02:10 PM

"Muddymike" wrote in message
We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

Mike

I've noticed the same.

Mary

Bob H 09-05-2008 03:18 PM

Muddymike wrote:
We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

Mike

I wish I could say the same but my planters have been ruined by them
this year. I must have tried planting bulbs in them and pots about 3
times and then the grey sods dig them up and ruin other plants looking
for bulbs.

Ian B 09-05-2008 03:56 PM

Muddymike wrote:
We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at
times but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas
why?

I had one in my living room the other day; the cat chased it in. I chased it
out again.

Ian

Geo[_2_] 09-05-2008 06:17 PM

Where have all the squirrels gone

On Fri, 9 May 2008 14:03:09 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

Watched one sunning itself on a neighbour's rootop for a good 5 minutes this
morning- until a pigeon tried to land on it.

http://diy.110mb.com/greysqu.jpg
(before pigeon)

Geo

BAC 09-05-2008 07:43 PM

"Muddymike" wrote in message
We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

Perhaps you live in an area where people who disapprove of squirrels pay for
the animals to be exterminated?

someone 10-05-2008 12:08 AM

"Muddymike" wrote in message
We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

Mike

Here in our neck of the woods my cat kills and eats the babies if she can
catch them. If she can't, we'll have no walnuts in the autumn.

I saw a squirrel running along a power line across the street from my house
a couple of days ago.

someone

Wally[_3_] 11-05-2008 12:40 PM

"Muddymike" wrote in message
We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

Mike

I spotted two of them relaxing in the sun, got a video
of the little *******.
See them here.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/sq/squrel.gif

Wally

Fuschia 11-05-2008 05:31 PM

wrote:

We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

We have had the usual squirrel damage this spring. Would you like use
the send you some?

Alan Wilcox 12-05-2011 11:56 AM

Mike I live in Middleton St. George, Darlington and last year we had dozen a pair even breeding in an owl nest box, but this year they have completely disappeared.

kay 12-05-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddymike (Post 790359)
We had several grey squirrels in the gardens last year, annoying at times
but mostly entertaining. No sign of any this year. Any ideas why?

Mike

Hard winter? THey come out and feed on mild days, and there weren't that many mild days this last winter.