Old 13-05-2008, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cabbage growing wild

I've spotted several cabbage plants growing in the garden! Wonderful,
but I didn't plant them! We had a bird seed spillage earlier in the
year - didn't see anything that sounded cabbagey on the list though.
Although I don't know what dari is!
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 13-05-2008, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 May 2008 18:38:35 +0100, Mogga
wrote:

I've spotted several cabbage plants growing in the garden! Wonderful,
but I didn't plant them! We had a bird seed spillage earlier in the
year - didn't see anything that sounded cabbagey on the list though.
Although I don't know what dari is!

rapeseed most like
--
"For those who are missing Blair - aim more
carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper www.simoni.co.uk
200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last!
200 TDi Disco, "the offroader"
1976 S3 Lightweight
Old 13-05-2008, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I've spotted several cabbage plants growing in the garden! Wonderful,
but I didn't plant them! We had a bird seed spillage earlier in the
year - didn't see anything that sounded cabbagey on the list though.
Although I don't know what dari is!

rapeseed most like

Ahh yeah prob - will check the bag in the morning. I did toy earlier
in the year with buying a huge sack of it and covering the field at
the back in it, and just seeing what grew./ Probably only ever so
slightly naughty though.
Old 13-05-2008, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 May 2008 22:09:03 +0100, Mogga wrote:

I did toy earlier in the year with buying a huge sack of it and covering
the field at the back in it, and just seeing what grew./ Probably only
ever so slightly naughty though.

I don't think bird seed has that weed in any more, for just that reason.
Used to be a very common plant on landfill sites.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 13-05-2008, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mogga" wrote

Ahh yeah prob - will check the bag in the morning. I did toy earlier
in the year with buying a huge sack of it and covering the field at
the back in it, and just seeing what grew./ Probably only ever so
slightly naughty though.

Just go to a Fishing Tackle shop and buy some Hemp seed (if it's still
available), used to use it boiled for catching Roach etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogga View Post

Sorghum, apparently. http://www.pibico.com/productrange.html
Old 14-05-2008, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mogga wrote:
I've spotted several cabbage plants growing in the garden! Wonderful,
but I didn't plant them! We had a bird seed spillage earlier in the
year - didn't see anything that sounded cabbagey on the list though.
Although I don't know what dari is!

I've seen a variety of some cabbage growing wild on the south coast of
England. It looked strange seeing it growing there, somehow out of place
growing on the beach. It must have a high salt tollerance.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 14-05-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mogga" wrote

Ahh yeah prob - will check the bag in the morning. I did toy earlier
in the year with buying a huge sack of it and covering the field at
the back in it, and just seeing what grew./ Probably only ever so
slightly naughty though.

Just go to a Fishing Tackle shop and buy some Hemp seed (if it's still
available), used to use it boiled for catching Roach etc.

You can buy henp seed at a supermarket - well, Waitrose anyway.

No good for roach though. Doesn't even taste wonderful.

Mary

Old 14-05-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Mogga wrote:
I've spotted several cabbage plants growing in the garden! Wonderful,
but I didn't plant them! We had a bird seed spillage earlier in the
year - didn't see anything that sounded cabbagey on the list though.
Although I don't know what dari is!

I've seen a variety of some cabbage growing wild on the south coast of
England. It looked strange seeing it growing there, somehow out of place
growing on the beach. It must have a high salt tollerance.

That is a real wild cabbage, I've seen it growing as far north as Scotland.

And eaten it :-)

Mary

Old 14-05-2008, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
Mogga wrote:
I've spotted several cabbage plants growing in the garden! Wonderful,
but I didn't plant them! We had a bird seed spillage earlier in the
year - didn't see anything that sounded cabbagey on the list though.
Although I don't know what dari is!

I've seen a variety of some cabbage growing wild on the south coast of
England. It looked strange seeing it growing there, somehow out of
place growing on the beach. It must have a high salt tollerance.

I've seen what I've assumed to be a wild form of Brassica oleraceus
(yellow-flowered crucifers tend to look similar) growing just above the
beach on the coast of Galloway.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://florulaprima.blogspot.com

Old 14-05-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I've seen what I've assumed to be a wild form of Brassica oleraceus
| (yellow-flowered crucifers tend to look similar) growing just above the
| beach on the coast of Galloway.

White-flowered ones can be non-trivial to identify, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-05-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 May 2008 22:32:27 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 13 May 2008 22:09:03 +0100, Mogga wrote:

I did toy earlier in the year with buying a huge sack of it and covering
the field at the back in it, and just seeing what grew./ Probably only
ever so slightly naughty though.

I don't think bird seed has that weed in any more, for just that reason.
Used to be a very common plant on landfill sites.

Whatever this is something is scoffing it as fast as it can grow. I
have seen a couple of caterpillas in the area but none on it yet.
(There was a very strange red streaked one that looked just the same
colour as the fence paint OH was using last week...)
Old 15-05-2008, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
writes
Whatever this is something is scoffing it as fast as it can grow. I
have seen a couple of caterpillas in the area but none on it yet.
(There was a very strange red streaked one that looked just the same
colour as the fence paint OH was using last week...)

Cinnabar moth caterpillar? (Normally eats ragwort.)
Old 15-05-2008, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I've seen what I've assumed to be a wild form of Brassica oleraceus
| (yellow-flowered crucifers tend to look similar) growing just above the
| beach on the coast of Galloway.

White-flowered ones can be non-trivial to identify, too :-)

I know; I've currently got a Lepidium awaiting identification.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.