GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Making a Thyme seat (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/174374-making-thyme-seat.html)

Kate Morgan 15-05-2008 09:03 AM

Making a Thyme seat

I have just been reading an article re. how to make a Thyme seat, it was
made of old bricks and looked charming but I do not have enough old bricks
going spare. I do however have several bales of hay that are not needed and
as I do not like to see things go to waste I wondered if I could use them.
If I made holes in the bales and filled them with compost then plant Thyme
plants would they grow and make a seat. The hay would eventually rot down
but my thinking was that the plants would grow and hold the whole thing
together. Any thoughts anyone ?

Kate

Nick Maclaren 15-05-2008 09:12 AM

Making a Thyme seat

In article ,
"Kate Morgan" writes:
| I have just been reading an article re. how to make a Thyme seat, it was
| made of old bricks and looked charming but I do not have enough old bricks
| going spare. I do however have several bales of hay that are not needed and
| as I do not like to see things go to waste I wondered if I could use them.
| If I made holes in the bales and filled them with compost then plant Thyme
| plants would they grow and make a seat. The hay would eventually rot down
| but my thinking was that the plants would grow and hold the whole thing
| together. Any thoughts anyone ?

Probably, if it's the right thyme.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kate Morgan 15-05-2008 02:35 PM

Making a Thyme seat

| I have just been reading an article re. how to make a Thyme seat, it
was
| made of old bricks and looked charming but I do not have enough old
bricks
| going spare. I do however have several bales of hay that are not needed
and
| as I do not like to see things go to waste I wondered if I could use
them.
| If I made holes in the bales and filled them with compost then plant
Thyme
| plants would they grow and make a seat. The hay would eventually rot
down
| but my thinking was that the plants would grow and hold the whole thing
| together. Any thoughts anyone ?

Probably, if it's the right thyme.

What is the right Thyme Nick, time for a cuppa :-)

Sacha[_3_] 15-05-2008 03:25 PM

Making a Thyme seat

On 15/5/08 09:03, in article
net, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

I have just been reading an article re. how to make a Thyme seat, it was
made of old bricks and looked charming but I do not have enough old bricks
going spare. I do however have several bales of hay that are not needed and
as I do not like to see things go to waste I wondered if I could use them.
If I made holes in the bales and filled them with compost then plant Thyme
plants would they grow and make a seat. The hay would eventually rot down
but my thinking was that the plants would grow and hold the whole thing
together. Any thoughts anyone ?

Kate

Only a guess but I think the hay will go mouldy eventually and spoil the
effect. Can you make a concrete base for the bricks, perhaps painting it
green, or mixing soot with it to make it darker? Or hunt around for someone
selling off bricks - eBay?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 15-05-2008 03:48 PM

Making a Thyme seat

In article ,
"Kate Morgan" writes:

| What is the right Thyme Nick, time for a cuppa :-)

Indeed - I am off for one in a mo.

Thymus vulgaris tends to get very leggy - the native T. serpyllum
is better, as is T. doefflerii (spellin?) I.e. you want a prostrate
one and not a straggly bush.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

dr 16-05-2008 11:03 AM

Making a Thyme seat

Kate Morgan wrote:

I have just been reading an article re. how to make a Thyme seat, it was
made of old bricks and looked charming but I do not have enough old bricks
going spare. I do however have several bales of hay that are not needed
and as I do not like to see things go to waste I wondered if I could use
them. If I made holes in the bales and filled them with compost then plant
Thyme plants would they grow and make a seat. The hay would eventually rot
down but my thinking was that the plants would grow and hold the whole
thing together. Any thoughts anyone ?

Kate

You could always try the freecycle system, or the local freeads folks are
always getting rid of bricks.

As for the thyme, you want to be careful you don't sit on anything with
wings, might put you off the seat pretty quick. :-)

Duncan

Kate Morgan 17-05-2008 04:51 PM

Making a Thyme seat

"dr" wrote in message
Kate Morgan wrote:

[...]

I have found some old breezeblocks that would do the job, not very pretty
but a bit of paint or summat will do.
I will be careful what I sit on you can be sure :-) I am sure that there is
a very good pun , something about thyme flies :-)

kate