Old 16-05-2008, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identification please - if possible

On May 16, 12:45 pm, echinosum
wrote:
Judith in France;791999 Wrote: Now, of taking a stepladder there, how can I get some seeds?

Plants and seeds are widely available, you shouldn't have a problem.
Not so rare. But be aware that they are fast-growing, wide-spreading
trees, so need a lot of room. They also create a lot of shade. And the
flowers are held high up, so it is best to plant it somewhere where you
will have a good view of it from a location higher than where it is
planted. I used to have one outside my 1st-storey window when I was a
student in Oxford.

--
echinosum

I have just the place for it. I am having an Acacia taken downas
there are three in that part of the garden ad I will plant the new
tree in its place.

Judith
Old 16-05-2008, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/5/08 13:20, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

On 16/5/08 12:45, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Judith in France;791999 Wrote:
Now, short of taking a stepladder there, how can I get some seeds?

Plants and seeds are widely available, you shouldn't have a problem.
Not so rare. But be aware that they are fast-growing, wide-spreading
trees, so need a lot of room. They also create a lot of shade. And the
flowers are held high up, so it is best to plant it somewhere where you
will have a good view of it from a location higher than where it is
planted. I used to have one outside my 1st-storey window when I was a
student in Oxford.

To this I would just add that if you keep it stooled, it produces enormous
and eye catching leaves but doesn't flower.
I'm interested that you call it wide-spreading. Ours is about 9 years old
and is probably about 15' but it's not particularly spreading.

And Ray has told me that he doesn't think it's P.tomentosa but it *might* be
P. taiwaniana. Sadly, he thinks it's died - there is no sign of a flower, a
bud or a leaf! However, we do have P.tomentosa in the car park borders, so
must hope that's going to set seed. It is rather more spreading than the
other (probably improperly named) one but not to any troublesome degree.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-05-2008, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 12:24 am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
,
Judith in France writes

I've Googled it - yes, that is exactly what it is, thank you and
Jeff. Now, short of taking a stepladder there, how can I get some
seeds?

Judith

They germinate really easily Judith, i gave away about 15 last year and
the year before as they grow quite quickly.
You should be able to get the seeds from quite a few sources
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I miss your plants Janet, I had to leave them behind in England -
hint!!!!

Judith
Old 16-05-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 11:28 am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/5/08 11:02, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On May 16, 8:55 am, Sacha wrote:
On 15/5/08 22:28, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On May 15, 10:13 pm, Sacha wrote:
snip

Paulownia tomentosa, Judith - I'm pretty sure.
snip

I've Googled it - yes, that is exactly what it is, thank you and
Jeff. Now, short of taking a stepladder there, how can I get some
seeds?

Judith

I'll send you some when ours 'does its thing'. You'll have to email me your
address because in my usual inefficient fashion, I've lost it or 'put it in
a safe place', as I prefer to think of it.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Thank you Sacha, you and your filing system!!!

Judith

I know - it's hopeless. I had it on my computer but I don't think I
transferred it when I bought this new one! I promise that this time it will
go into the physical address book, as well as the computer one.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Do I hear an echo? Did I hear that last year :-)

Judith
Old 16-05-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 12:45 pm, echinosum
wrote:
Judith in France;791999 Wrote: Now, short of taking a stepladder there, how can I get some seeds?

Plants and seeds are widely available, you shouldn't have a problem.
Not so rare. But be aware that they are fast-growing, wide-spreading
trees, so need a lot of room. They also create a lot of shade. And the
flowers are held high up, so it is best to plant it somewhere where you
will have a good view of it from a location higher than where it is
planted. I used to have one outside my 1st-storey window when I was a
student in Oxford.

--
echinosum

I have just the spot for it - which college in Oxford?

Judith

Old 17-05-2008, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/5/08 21:49, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On May 16, 11:28 am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/5/08 11:02, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On May 16, 8:55 am, Sacha wrote:
On 15/5/08 22:28, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On May 15, 10:13 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Evil and unworthy person! No you did not1 I think.

Old 17-05-2008, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 17, 12:04 am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/5/08 21:49, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On May 16, 11:28 am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/5/08 11:02, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On May 16, 8:55 am, Sacha wrote:
On 15/5/08 22:28, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On May 15, 10:13 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

ROFL - I have all emails archived but I would have to trawl through
thousands to find it, it's best that I send it to you again :-)

Judith p.s. what eats parsel in the garden, mine is getting nibbled?
Old 17-05-2008, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 17, 8:36 am, Chris Hogg wrote:
Arnold-Forster ('Shrubs for the Milder Counties', Country Life, 1948)
warns of a potential problem with Paulownia in that it sets its flower
buds in the autumn, so they are liable to damage by frost etc. through
the winter before flowering in May. He also says that it's tender when
young, and he is rather sceptical about it's ability to thrive in the
UK climate other than on the south coast, saying it is apt to be gaunt
in habit, and that it prefers hotter summers than ours. But he was
writing 60 years ago when the climate was colder, and if you've seen
one in France near you that is flourishing, go for it.

IME, it germinates embarrassingly easily from fresh seed. If you
rummage around on the ground underneath that tree you will find seed
capsules that may still contain seeds from last year, or perhaps
collect them from the lower branches.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Hi Chris, thanks for that. I couldn't reach even the lower branches,
that why I threw stones up to try and knock off the seeds. I'm
surprised it thrives here as the Winter is vicious. It is growing in
a small square in Auzon, which is about 50 kilometres South of
Clermont Ferrand, so we are fairly well set for good weather but
because of the altitude, we are in the Massif Central, we get snow and
lots of it. If we go skiing with friends or family (I no longer ski)
we got to Super Besse which is not that far from our home, take a look
at the weather there!!!

I will drive down to Auzon in a few days and scrabble on the ground
and see what I can find - thanks.

Judith
Old 20-05-2008, 01:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Judith in France writes

I miss your plants Janet, I had to leave them behind in England -
hint!!!!

Judith

Bit behind this year Judith what with one thing and another but will try
to get you some later if I have your address. Not sure about sending
stuff abroad?

Janet