Old 16-05-2008, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soggy compost

On May 16, 2:29*pm, Zaf wrote:
Ive got one of those large bin-like composters and have been using it
for vegetable household waste for around 6 months , *it has 3 layers
where you have moveable shelves so that once the top layer has got full
you can move it down to the second layer, and so on till the 3rd layer
is ready to use. *

BUT...

Mine is a horrible slimy soggy mess, *Ive been turning it religiously
every week and only putting in the things that are suggested.

what can I do to improve the situation? *HELP!!

--
Zaf

Add shredded paper or newspapers. Try to layer wet organic stuff (veg
peelings, weeds, grass clippings, etc.) with dry stuff (paper,
cardboard, straw, that sort of stuff) on an ongoing basis.
I'm not sure I know what you mean with the various shelves, mine is
just a straightforward bottomless square plastic box, but when I found
I had your problem some years ago, I emptied out all the soggy mess,
and re-started layering it with paper. It was not the most pleasant
of jobs, but it sorted out the problem.

Cat(h)
Old 16-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Zaf Zaf is offline
Registered User

Unhappy Soggy compost

Old 16-05-2008, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Cat(h) wrote:

On May 16, 2:29Â*pm, Zaf wrote:
Ive got one of those large bin-like composters and have been using it
for vegetable household waste for around 6 months , Â*it has 3 layers
where you have moveable shelves so that once the top layer has got full
you can move it down to the second layer, and so on till the 3rd layer
is ready to use.

BUT...

Mine is a horrible slimy soggy mess, Â*Ive been turning it religiously
every week and only putting in the things that are suggested.

what can I do to improve the situation? Â*HELP!!

--
Zaf

Add shredded paper or newspapers. Try to layer wet organic stuff (veg
peelings, weeds, grass clippings, etc.) with dry stuff (paper,
cardboard, straw, that sort of stuff) on an ongoing basis.
I'm not sure I know what you mean with the various shelves, mine is
just a straightforward bottomless square plastic box, but when I found
I had your problem some years ago, I emptied out all the soggy mess,
and re-started layering it with paper. It was not the most pleasant
of jobs, but it sorted out the problem.

Cat(h)

Had exactly this problem in our new garden, moved house recently. The
previous occupants obviously thought the "dalek" based compost bin was just
somewhere to dump grass cuttings. Hence one big nasty wet ball. Took the
bin off it all, broke it up. Put it back in the bin in layers of a few
inches of wet smelly grass and then cardboard and scrunched up paper.
Seems to be working, though it's early days yet. Probably have to do at
least one more turn before it'll settle down but hey that's what composting
is all about.

What Zaf mentioned sounds more like a wormery than a traditional compost
bin, they tend to be multi-layered so the worms can be kept away from the
compost you want to use, and away from the liquid they generate.

Duncan
Old 16-05-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dr" wrote in message
Cat(h) wrote:

On May 16, 2:29 pm, Zaf wrote:
[...]

Never seen a composter with shelves, and wonder if these are causing a
problem?

If what you have is a wormery, then you need the instructions and the
correct worms! I believe you can get tiger worms from fishing tackle shops.

My three composters are like old fashioned (pre wheelie) dustbins, but with
no bottom, so the compost is in contact with good organic soil.
I keep mine wet, but have very free draining sandy soil. If the soil the bin
is standing on is not free draining (eg clay) you have a different problem.
You could put a layer of twigs and similar in the bottom to improve
ventilation, you need to have enough moisture to let the composting gremlins
do their work, but not too much, and not to drown them. Remember they are
living organisms of various sorts.

It could also be that your waste is producing the wrong conditions for
efficient composting, so if trying to dry it (by improving vntlation) doesnt
work, measre the Ph (try to borow a Ph meter, but they are not expensive in
garden centres. If it is too acid (Ph less than 6 or so) sprinkle some lime
on the heap. Adding manure, chicken manure pellets, or the likes of Garotta
can all help. A sprinkling of dried blood helps the reaction.

John

Old 16-05-2008, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 16 May 2008 14:29:36 +0100, Zaf
wrote:

Ive got one of those large bin-like composters and have been using it
for vegetable household waste for around 6 months , it has 3 layers
where you have moveable shelves so that once the top layer has got full
you can move it down to the second layer, and so on till the 3rd layer
is ready to use.

BUT...

Mine is a horrible slimy soggy mess, Ive been turning it religiously
every week and only putting in the things that are suggested.

what can I do to improve the situation? HELP!!

Have you put too much grass cuttings in it - I did and mine turned
soggy/slimy

Old 16-05-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Ive got one of those large bin-like composters and have been using it
for vegetable household waste for around 6 months , it has 3 layers
where you have moveable shelves so that once the top layer has got full
you can move it down to the second layer, and so on till the 3rd layer
is ready to use.

BUT...

Mine is a horrible slimy soggy mess, Ive been turning it religiously
every week and only putting in the things that are suggested.

what can I do to improve the situation? HELP!!

Have you put too much grass cuttings in it - I did and mine turned
soggy/slimy

Add newspaper to it between layers.

Judith
Old 16-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Zaf Zaf is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T[_2_] View Post
"dr" wrote in message
Cat(h) wrote:

On May 16, 2:29 pm, Zaf wrote:
[...]

thanks all, will try shredded paper and see if that helps - I think the design of the composter is from New Zealand, will try to find a link so it shows the design! Definitely not a wormery, I gave up with one of those after somehow managing to kill the worms not once but twice fortunately the plants in the garden manage to survive my 'care' better than the worms did....
Old 16-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Zaf Zaf is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
thanks all, will try shredded paper and see if that helps - I think the design of the composter is from New Zealand, will try to find a link so it shows the design! Definitely not a wormery, I gave up with one of those after somehow managing to kill the worms not once but twice fortunately the plants in the garden manage to survive my 'care' better than the worms did....
not good at the internet - its a EARTHMAKER COMPOSTER apparently and can be found here (I hope!) http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...oducts_id=2431

I'm really enjoying gardening but last year was a bit of a disaster with the weather, the previous year I got lots of lovely salad, this year I'm hoping to expand a bit so be warned, I'll be asking lots of questions )
Old 17-05-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Zaf" wrote in message

Ive got one of those large bin-like composters and have been using it
for vegetable household waste for around 6 months , it has 3 layers
where you have moveable shelves so that once the top layer has got full
you can move it down to the second layer, and so on till the 3rd layer
is ready to use.

BUT...

Mine is a horrible slimy soggy mess, Ive been turning it religiously
every week and only putting in the things that are suggested.

what can I do to improve the situation? HELP!!

if it is still a gluggy mess of partially broken down material then you have
been given some good advice in this thread. If it is a good way decayed
however, dif it out and use it as mulch across your gardens. I have dug out
soggy compost before in late winter/early spring & laid it acorss my garden.
Within a month or 2 if had finished decaying & turned up good stuff.

rob

Old 21-05-2008, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John T wrote:

Never seen a composter with shelves, and wonder if these are causing a
problem?

I've seen them advertised in gardening bumpf. You're supposed to do as
Zaf says - put stuff in the top, then take out the top shelf, let it
fall into the second chamber and put the top shelf back. Then fill the
top again, and when it's full, let the middle fall to the bottom and the
top to the middle. Then fill the top again. Finally, take your
finished compost out at the bottom.

The idea is that the tumbling from section to section is enough to mix
and aerate the compost. Sounds like a gimmick to me!

Peter