GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Covering ground (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/174434-covering-ground.html)

Wally[_3_] 16-05-2008 05:32 PM

Covering ground

with carpet etc, to stop weeds.
I've got a feeling that this will not work in the long term.
I think that the weeds will just lay dormant under said
carpet and may take the opportunity to develop stronger
roots giving a bigger problem when uncovered.

I may be wrong and would like to hear you views.

Wally

OG 17-05-2008 01:10 AM

Covering ground

"Wally" wrote in message
with carpet etc, to stop weeds.
I've got a feeling that this will not work in the long term.
I think that the weeds will just lay dormant under said
carpet and may take the opportunity to develop stronger
roots giving a bigger problem when uncovered.

I may be wrong and would like to hear you views.

They can't develop without energy, and they can't get energy without light
or some other energy source.

Mary Fisher 22-05-2008 08:30 PM

Covering ground

"OG" wrote in message

"Wally" wrote in message
with carpet etc, to stop weeds.
I've got a feeling that this will not work in the long term.
I think that the weeds will just lay dormant under said
carpet and may take the opportunity to develop stronger
roots giving a bigger problem when uncovered.

I may be wrong and would like to hear you views.

They can't develop without energy, and they can't get energy without light
or some other energy source.

But particles of dust settle on top of the covering - whatever it is.
Eventually the dust and water give enough sustenance to the odd seed. When
that seed's plant dies and rots the resulting compost together with more
dust and water gives even more nutrients for more seeds to grow and ...

Mary