Old 17-05-2008, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Reliable tree nursery which will despatch?

On 17/5/08 13:01, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

They don't appear to have either of the apples. Meant to say to Rusty that
the quince he wants is Cydonia oblonga, not Chaenomeles.

Isn't the latter the Japanese quince?

Yes. That has the small fruits, not the big yellow ones I think you're
looking for.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-05-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:
The message from Rusty Hinge 2
contains these words:
The message from Judith in France
contains these words:

What are you going to do with all the fruit, start a cottage industry
in jam making :-)

Since I live in an old farmworker's cottage...

(I have just bought loads of Kilner tops to go with loads of Kilner
jars. Also have stacks of screwtop jars of other sorts - mainly jammy -
and a freezer)

Somewhere in the depths of one of my sheds, lurk unused Kilner jars...

TAAAW, I make quite a lot of wines and other stuff like sloe gin,
morello cherry rum, strawberry whisky, etc.

Also in the depths of one of my sheds lurk a dozen or so demijohns...

Urglemoot, anyone?

I _did_ attempt one, some ten years ago...and you weren't there!

Were I to come to a moot, I might possibly fill the boot of my car...

Can't be for another six weeks at least, until Bill can take a turn
at driving, though!

I was thinking of a Zet/Shed meet/moot, and having a word with the
Chaiman of the Parish Council about hiring the Scout 'Hut' - definitely
a *VERY* grown-up shed - 'cos accommodation at Rusty Towers is minimal,
if not minimalist.

And it wooden bee for quite a while as the Rustyplot is hardly in a fit
state to show people round.

Have sent emu to Thornhayes Nursery (thank you, Sacha) - they have most
of what I need, though no container-grown damson. Either I leave the
order until the winter and get a bare-root jobbie, or take the apples,
quince - and a medlar in lieu of the damson (or the bill won't be enough
to trigger their carriage terms) and source the damson locally.

I'll add a page to the wibble to record progress. That way, and keeping
it updated, I really will have to get on with it innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-05-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/5/08 09:49, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

[...]

Is this place anywhere near you?
Ashill Fruit Farm
Mr and Mrs Reed of Ashill Fruit Farm near Watton grow more than 40 varieties
of apple, along with other fruits like pears, greengages, Damsons. They also
create juice from their own apples. The Farm Shop also sells eggs,
vegetables, honey and preserves.
T 01760 440050

They make jam etc. from their fruit but they might be able to help you find
a damson tree.

Old 18-05-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Anne Jackson writes:

| And is an excellent treatment for drunken teenagers.
|
| I haven't heard that before! Care to expand my knowledge base?

There was a party at which someone got paralytic, and was persuaded
to try one. It was the only thing he remembered the next day and,
5 years on, he has not forgotten. We are still laughing about it.

He hadn't even done more than bite into it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-05-2008, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 17, 8:47 pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

What are you going to do with all the fruit, start a cottage industry
in jam making :-)

Since I live in an old farmworker's cottage...

(I have just bought loads of Kilner tops to go with loads of Kilner
jars. Also have stacks of screwtop jars of other sorts - mainly jammy -
and a freezer)

TAAAW, I make quite a lot of wines and other stuff like sloe gin,
morello cherry rum, strawberry whisky, etc.

Urglemoot, anyone?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

When am I coming to visit then, I like the sound of your wines!!!

Judith
Old 18-05-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Is this place anywhere near you?
Ashill Fruit Farm
Mr and Mrs Reed of Ashill Fruit Farm near Watton grow more than 40 varieties
of apple, along with other fruits like pears, greengages, Damsons. They also
create juice from their own apples. The Farm Shop also sells eggs,
vegetables, honey and preserves.
T 01760 440050

They make jam etc. from their fruit but they might be able to help you find
a damson tree.

Well, not too far, though cycling there would be a bit of a pull, not
because of the distance, but (this might surprise some peeps) the route
is quite precipitous in parts.

The Est Anglian Heights are the tail-end of the Chilterns, and very
knobbly they are too.

But, ta, I'll investigate.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-05-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:

The message from Rusty Hinge 2
contains these words:

a medlar in lieu of the damson

I've had to cut down several (seven or eight, to date) damson trees
in the garden. They are growing in a straight line down the garden
from the (ex) plum tree. They have tiny, sweet, dark fruit.

They can only be coming from the rootstock. The latest one I've noticed
springing up is at least 15' from the site of the (ex) plum tree.

Aye, they do that, much in the manner of (un?)poplars.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-05-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:
On May 17, 8:47 pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

/snip/

TAAAW, I make quite a lot of wines and other stuff like sloe gin,
morello cherry rum, strawberry whisky, etc.

Urglemoot, anyone?

When am I coming to visit then, I like the sound of your wines!!!

T for W or ???(?)

Wines stocks reduced ATM to some pleasant stuff which is rather cloudy,
some mead and some sloe gin - er - sloe white rum. If I get round to it
there will be some elderflower bubbling away soon. I use cartons of
white grape juice for most of the liquid, and just a little water which
has been used to steep the flowers.

Comes out like a fine Muscat.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-05-2008, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 18, 1:56 pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

On May 17, 8:47 pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

/snip/

TAAAW, I make quite a lot of wines and other stuff like sloe gin,
morello cherry rum, strawberry whisky, etc.

Urglemoot, anyone?

When am I coming to visit then, I like the sound of your wines!!!

T for W or ???(?)

Wines stocks reduced ATM to some pleasant stuff which is rather cloudy,
some mead and some sloe gin - er - sloe white rum. If I get round to it
there will be some elderflower bubbling away soon. I use cartons of
white grape juice for most of the liquid, and just a little water which
has been used to steep the flowers.

Comes out like a fine Muscat.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Got any New Zealand types coming along? If so, I'm definitely en
route :-)

Judith

Old 18-05-2008, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:
The message from Rusty Hinge 2
contains these words:

Wines stocks reduced ATM to some pleasant stuff which is rather cloudy,
some mead and some sloe gin - er - sloe white rum. If I get round to it
there will be some elderflower bubbling away soon. I use cartons of
white grape juice for most of the liquid, and just a little water which
has been used to steep the flowers.

Comes out like a fine Muscat.

The dreaded AG (White Horse) - I hesitate to use the full name - once
told me that all of my wines were like sherry, of different types. I
could never decide whether or not he was being nasty! ;-)

Lé-ihod Lo!

Probably not.

If you want to make a very sherry-like wine, take just under half a
gallon of strong tea, half a gallon of white grape juice, start
fermenting, then top-up with un-oiled Lexia raisins and one chopped
dried bananananana.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-05-2008, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
I'm looking for several container-grown trees - while I'd prefer
bare-root, this is too late in the year.

I'm looking for
Apples: one each of Charles Ross; Devonshire Quarenden.
Quince (big yellow pear-shaped one)
Damson.

We came across this company by accident on a Plant Fair day in Steeple
Aston, Oxon last Sunday as we were on our way to lunch with friends. The
company seems to hang out at Twyford, Oxon, and they have 98 (!) varieties
of heritage apples as well as a selection of figs and, who knows, other
things as well. Unfortunately we didn't have time to explore in depth.
They had quite a few 3 foot apple trees for sale in pots.

They have Charles Ross and Devonshire Quaranden in their stock list, as well
as a cider apple called, um, Hens Turd.

Their apples have type names like M27, M26, M106 and so on - means nothing
to me. They don't seem to have a website.

The Heritage Fruit Tree Co. "Fruit with Flavour"
Walton Avenue,
Twyford, Oxon OX17 3JY.

Tel: (01295) 810516 - Andy
(01295) 712272 - Marcus

HTH,

someone

Old 20-05-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "someone" contains these words:
[...]

Naice!

Their apples have type names like M27, M26, M106 and so on - means nothing
to me. They don't seem to have a website.

Ah, them's the rootstocks.

The Heritage Fruit Tree Co. "Fruit with Flavour"
Walton Avenue,
Twyford, Oxon OX17 3JY.

Tel: (01295) 810516 - Andy
(01295) 712272 - Marcus

HTH,

someone

Thanks, certainly does. The other lot haven't replied to my emu of the
weekend.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-05-2008, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "someone" contains these words:

The Heritage Fruit Tree Co. "Fruit with Flavour"
Walton Avenue,
Twyford, Oxon OX17 3JY.

znaqz.eboregf[ng]hxtngrjnl.arg came up on oGgoel

Emu'd

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-05-2008, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Seems I misread their bumf - they do *over 200* heritage fruit trees, not
98.

There ya go.

someone

We Are Reliable Tree Surgeons!!!!! the tree man Marketplace 0 13-11-2006 08:42 PM
suggestions for reliable, reasonably priced tree installers Adnan Aziz Texas 2 13-11-2003 01:13 PM
suggestions for reliable, reasonably priced tree installers Adnan Aziz Texas 2 04-11-2003 07:12 PM
Reliable nurseries Undine Roses 2 26-01-2003 01:14 AM
reliable rose nursery Undine Gardening 0 25-01-2003 05:07 PM