Old 18-05-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bosch Isio Trimmer

Morning,

For some time now I have been looking at the Bosch Isio Edge Trimmer.
Looks neat. Reviews sound OK, if a bit sparse (though at least one warns
to get a long handle version). Price is acceptable.

A few things have held me back from purchase.

1 I keep expecting a new, higher voltage model with better battery life
at lower price. Well, we all dream. :-)

2 I have seen a similar device from Ryobi. It *looks* a bit chunkier.
Some other products are also appearing.

3 Trying to find any information on Usenet fails. I can't believe that
absolutely no-one here has an opinion (on the Isio) and maybe even
experience of using it. So I take that as a negative.

4 Last year, long handled models (and separate long handles) seemed
unavailable - or nearly so.

The most appealing single feature is in fact the light weight. Partner
sometimes has difficulty with lifting/carrying things so the lighter it
is, the more likely she is to be able to use it. Hence petrol strimmers,
etc. are right out. Also, we only have a modest sized garden so its
capacity is probably just about adequate.

So, would you buy one?

--
Rod

onset.
Old 18-05-2008, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

I picked one up in FOCUS last week and immediately thought...........what a
dangerous tool. OK hedge trimmers have blades but they do have a safety
system (both hands to operate) but this little thing only required one
hand...........hmmmmmm.

Old 18-05-2008, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tpow wrote:
snip
I picked one up in FOCUS last week and immediately thought...........what a
dangerous tool. OK hedge trimmers have blades but they do have a safety
system (both hands to operate) but this little thing only required one
hand...........hmmmmmm.

(Just realised how appropriate it is to *snip* the previous post. :-) )

You might be right - but has it got enough oooomph to take a finger off?

I can't decide if I want you to say 'yes' (it is powerful but dangerous)
or 'no' (it is wimpy but safe). Hmmmm.... pondering.....

--
Rod

onset.
Old 18-05-2008, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
tpow wrote:
snip
I picked one up in FOCUS last week and immediately thought...........what
a dangerous tool. OK hedge trimmers have blades but they do have a safety
system (both hands to operate) but this little thing only required one
hand...........hmmmmmm.

(Just realised how appropriate it is to *snip* the previous post. :-) )

You might be right - but has it got enough oooomph to take a finger off?

I can't decide if I want you to say 'yes' (it is powerful but dangerous)
or 'no' (it is wimpy but safe). Hmmmm.... pondering.....

--
Rod

onset.

we moan at the kids for not enough exercise, sitting in front their comps
and there we are buying tools that don't give us any.............I'll stick
to hand shears and garden scissors.......and the new Karcher cos scrubbing
the patio is way to much exercise.

Old 18-05-2008, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tpow wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
tpow wrote:
snip
[...]

Indeed we do. But in this case, one of the main motivations is due to
muscle problems than simply *cannot* do what is required.

Thanks for the answers. Guess curling tongs could be used to kill off
the taller weeds... :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Old 18-05-2008, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
tpow wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
tpow wrote:
snip
[...]

indeed these electro/mechanical aids are a godsend for those with muscular
problems....I did not mean to sound negative.

Old 18-05-2008, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tpow wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
tpow wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
tpow wrote:
snip
[...]

Not a problem. I wasn't 100% certain so thought I would ensure clarity.
I hoped you meant as you did. Thanks all.

--
Rod

onset.
Old 18-05-2008, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rod writes:
| tpow wrote:
|
| indeed these electro/mechanical aids are a godsend for those with muscular
| problems....I did not mean to sound negative.
|
| Not a problem. I wasn't 100% certain so thought I would ensure clarity.
| I hoped you meant as you did. Thanks all.

Though, to put the other side, they are NOT the godsend that they
are made out to be. It is common for the powered devices to need
MORE strength to handle safely than the manual equivalent, and to
have a much HIGHER risk of causing back, joint or ligament injury.
The classic example is, of course, chainsaws.

But a lot of rotorvators are foul to handle, and you are much less
likely to damage your back digging with a fork.

And I had to give up using an electric hedge trimmer because I am
not strong enough in the arms to hold it up safely for more than
5% of the time; and spending 95% of the time recovering completely
negates its benefit.

Similarly, I haven't seem a strimmer suitable for a small garden
that didn't seem designed for use by a garden gnome. Having to
bend over all the time while using it is not good :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rod wrote:
tpow wrote:
snip
I picked one up in FOCUS last week and immediately
thought...........what a dangerous tool. OK hedge trimmers have blades
but they do have a safety system (both hands to operate) but this
little thing only required one hand...........hmmmmmm.

(Just realised how appropriate it is to *snip* the previous post. :-) )

You might be right - but has it got enough oooomph to take a finger off?

I can't decide if I want you to say 'yes' (it is powerful but dangerous)
or 'no' (it is wimpy but safe). Hmmmm.... pondering.....

As regards safety with mine you have to hold a lever in before it
switches on, thankfully, as I am left handed it operated both ways. As
regards the tool itself I cannot say that I give it a resounding thumbs
up. The charge does not last very long and it cuts nothing like as well
as hand clippers, nor as fast! Suffering from arthritis I expected it to
be more useful than it is. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it 4. Just
my opinion.
Old 18-05-2008, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Rod writes:
| tpow wrote:
|
| indeed these electro/mechanical aids are a godsend for those with
| muscular
| problems....I did not mean to sound negative.
|
| Not a problem. I wasn't 100% certain so thought I would ensure clarity.
| I hoped you meant as you did. Thanks all.

Though, to put the other side, they are NOT the godsend that they
are made out to be. It is common for the powered devices to need
MORE strength to handle safely than the manual equivalent, and to
have a much HIGHER risk of causing back, joint or ligament injury.
The classic example is, of course, chainsaws.

But a lot of rotorvators are foul to handle, and you are much less
likely to damage your back digging with a fork.

And I had to give up using an electric hedge trimmer because I am
not strong enough in the arms to hold it up safely for more than
5% of the time; and spending 95% of the time recovering completely
negates its benefit.

Similarly, I haven't seem a strimmer suitable for a small garden
that didn't seem designed for use by a garden gnome. Having to
bend over all the time while using it is not good :-(

I suggest that the answer is perhaps somewhere between the two. Some
powered kit is poorly designed or underpowered and is likely to sit in
the shed forever more after one or two attempts to use it.

I used a Howard 350 rotovator some years ago which was well balanced and
very effective and could be recommended for a reasonable size garden. I
have also tried a Honda tiller but I found it to be very uncomfortable
to use, probably because it was a much lighter machine and not suited to
heavy, stony soils.

The 2 Viking hedge trimmers I have been using for a while have been very
worthwhile acquisitions although the pole trimmer did take a bit of
getting used to at first (now I would not be without it). The previous
B&D trimmer was a waste of money as it was underpowered and poorly
balanced.

A Flymo electric strimmer was only used twice - an impulse buy of a
heavily discounted item. I am now looking for a sensible strimmer/lawn
edger again as I am suffering from tennis/mouse/gardeners elbow and need
something to cut out this manual work.

A light weight hand trimmer would be useful at the moment as using
secateurs for any length of time is painful and I will look at the Bosch
and equivalent Ryobi.

--
Robert

Old 18-05-2008, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Rod writes:
| tpow wrote:
|
| indeed these electro/mechanical aids are a godsend for those with muscular
| problems....I did not mean to sound negative.
|
| Not a problem. I wasn't 100% certain so thought I would ensure clarity.
| I hoped you meant as you did. Thanks all.

Though, to put the other side, they are NOT the godsend that they
are made out to be. It is common for the powered devices to need
MORE strength to handle safely than the manual equivalent, and to
have a much HIGHER risk of causing back, joint or ligament injury.
The classic example is, of course, chainsaws.

But a lot of rotorvators are foul to handle, and you are much less
likely to damage your back digging with a fork.

And I had to give up using an electric hedge trimmer because I am
not strong enough in the arms to hold it up safely for more than
5% of the time; and spending 95% of the time recovering completely
negates its benefit.

Similarly, I haven't seem a strimmer suitable for a small garden
that didn't seem designed for use by a garden gnome. Having to
bend over all the time while using it is not good :-(

Not a hope of using a rotavator, chainsaw or hedge trimmer! In fact, the
Isio looked to be a possible semi-replacement for a strimmer that has
gone walkabout plus the kitchen scissors.

You 95%/5% comment is all too true. One day, maybe just ten minutes, she
can do something, another she cannot. And, having done something or
other, the recovery can indeed take days. Therefore only the most
obviously possible things are worth considering at all.

The Isio's long handle is what makes it feasible - plus its intrinsic
light weight.

--
Rod

onset.
Old 18-05-2008, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rod writes:

| You 95%/5% comment is all too true. One day, maybe just ten minutes, she
| can do something, another she cannot. And, having done something or
| other, the recovery can indeed take days. Therefore only the most
| obviously possible things are worth considering at all.

That is sad, and she has my sympathies. I only have problems holding
my arms up, and that is a significant handicap.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
robert writes:

| I suggest that the answer is perhaps somewhere between the two. Some
| powered kit is poorly designed or underpowered and is likely to sit in
| the shed forever more after one or two attempts to use it.

I think that you have missed my points.

Firstly, MOST of the smaller/lighter kit is poorly designed, partly
because it is diabolically difficult to do a good job of design
under severe constraints of size/weight, and people won't pay twice
as much for a machine half the size. And the larger/heavier kit
is usually quite unsuitable for small gardens.

Secondly, some tasks (such as hedge trimming) are inherently ones
where anyone not strong enough to use hand tools is vanishingly
unlikely to be able to use power tools safely. If you don't have
the wrist/arm strength to use secateurs, are you REALLY likely to
be able to hold a power tool when it kicks back because it caught
a branch?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
robert writes:

| I suggest that the answer is perhaps somewhere between the two. Some
| powered kit is poorly designed or underpowered and is likely to sit in
| the shed forever more after one or two attempts to use it.

I think that you have missed my points.

Firstly, MOST of the smaller/lighter kit is poorly designed, partly
because it is diabolically difficult to do a good job of design
under severe constraints of size/weight, and people won't pay twice
as much for a machine half the size. And the larger/heavier kit
is usually quite unsuitable for small gardens.

Secondly, some tasks (such as hedge trimming) are inherently ones
where anyone not strong enough to use hand tools is vanishingly
unlikely to be able to use power tools safely. If you don't have
the wrist/arm strength to use secateurs, are you REALLY likely to
be able to hold a power tool when it kicks back because it caught
a branch?

For hedge trimming I can use my current kit without a problem as I can
take the weight with my left hand/arm and just use the right hand to
keep the switch on and with the pole trimmer I use a body sling which
takes most of the weight. I selected the trimmers that I was advised
would handle the maximum thickness and species within our mixed hedges.
Thus far I have experienced no problems. This is probably due to the
fact that I was prepared to pay for reasonable quality equipment having
experienced the poor design and quality of cheaper kit.
--
Robert
Old 21-05-2008, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

More problems with power tools? RTFM before using?

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/959/Bizar/a...en-hoofd.dhtml
--

Martin

after removing the woman's ears with a Hedge Trimmer................but not
an Isio.