GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I've got to move my Clematis Montana (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/17450-ive-got-move-my-clematis-montana.html)

Andrew 24-04-2003 10:32 AM

I've got to move my Clematis Montana

I know. Not a good idea, but the building it's attached to is coming
down. Am I wasting my time, or should I have a go at moving it? I assume
that cutting it back might help, but any other hints, or should I just
buy a new one? I can't delay past this weekend, unfortunately.

Emrys Davies 24-04-2003 11:44 AM

I've got to move my Clematis Montana

'Andrew',

Probably best to prune it to about 10", just above a pair of leaves, and
move it. I think that it will succeed if you keep it well watered.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Andrew 24-04-2003 04:08 PM

I've got to move my Clematis Montana

Probably best to prune it to about 10", just above a pair of leaves, and
move it. I think that it will succeed if you keep it well watered.

Thanks Emrys. I'll give it a go. Shame that it's just coming into flower
:-(

Hussein M. 24-04-2003 11:44 PM

I've got to move my Clematis Montana

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:52:37 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

Probably best to prune it to about 10", just above a pair of leaves, and
move it. I think that it will succeed if you keep it well watered.

Thanks Emrys. I'll give it a go. Shame that it's just coming into flower
:-(

No, not a shame. Pruning it hard back after it has flowered is
perfect for the plant too. It is then redirecting its energy from
sexual reproduction to vegetative growth. Perhaps the only better time
is when the plant is sleepy in the winter and you are too late for
that.

Undoubtedly you will have to sever some fairly large roots when you
move it and all the delicate root hairs will lose their cosy niche.
The plant likes to be kept in balance viz a viz ratio of plant above
ground and root below. What you will in effect be doing is removing
from each 'end' (so to speak).

Some plants are better at adjusting to upsets in this balance than
others. You'll just have to remind yourself that the Clematis wants to
survive just as much as you want it to.

If I have just talked a load of ********, I would be grateful if
someone could contradict me.

Huss

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Rachel Sullivan 25-04-2003 08:44 AM

I've got to move my Clematis Montana

In article , Andrew
writes
I know. Not a good idea, but the building it's attached to is coming
down. Am I wasting my time, or should I have a go at moving it? I assume
that cutting it back might help, but any other hints, or should I just
buy a new one? I can't delay past this weekend, unfortunately.

Try it - nothing to lose - it's got to be moved anyway or you wouldn't
be doing it.

As Emrys & Hussein say, trim it back to manageable proportions first &
when you dig it up, take as much root ball as you possibly can.
Monana's have a wiry sort of root system that doesn't much like being
messed with (unlike hybrids with a bootlace affair that you can prune
back). Have its new home ready with lots of nice stuff to plant it with
& make sure you water it well. Even if it rains a lot, water it anyway.

It might die - it might sulk - it might be OK. But even if it protests
in the ultimate manner, at least you know a new plant won't take forever
to get to the same size. :)
--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site

Andrew 25-04-2003 10:08 AM

I've got to move my Clematis Montana

Thanks for the replies. I'll be attacking the poor thing this weekend.
Hopefully we'll get some rain but I will water too.