Old 19-05-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anywhere else been invaded by sycamore pods?

I can only assume it is due to the long winter and winds we had that my
gardens etc were absolutely covered in the dammed pods. I swept/cleaned
up most of what I could see at the time, but now, several months on,
they are sprouting up everywhere....in my borders, in between cracks in
concrete, in between paving slabs, in gravel, and anywhere else I
missed. I have been constantly picking out the seedlings evertime I go
outside when I see them sprouting.
Is there any quick kill for these seedlings or do I just have to carry
on picking out? Also has anywhere else had a similar problem either now
or in the past?
Old 19-05-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob H wrote:

I can only assume it is due to the long winter and winds we had that my
gardens etc were absolutely covered in the dammed pods. I swept/cleaned
up most of what I could see at the time, but now, several months on,
they are sprouting up everywhere....in my borders, in between cracks in
concrete, in between paving slabs, in gravel, and anywhere else I
missed. I have been constantly picking out the seedlings evertime I go
outside when I see them sprouting.

You must have a sycamore tree nearby.

Is there any quick kill for these seedlings or do I just have to carry
on picking out? Also has anywhere else had a similar problem either now
or in the past?

Anything will kill them whilst they are still small. Strimmer, lawn
mower. Hoe, dig, spray with whichever weedkiller you happen to be using.
Even a size 10 boot will see them off as seedlings.

Something fast acting like Weedol is probably your best bet.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-05-2008, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob H writes:

| Is there any quick kill for these seedlings or do I just have to carry
| on picking out? Also has anywhere else had a similar problem either now
| or in the past?

Yes. Birch and walnut :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-05-2008, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob H" wrote in message
I can only assume it is due to the long winter and winds we had that my
gardens etc were absolutely covered in the dammed pods. I swept/cleaned up
most of what I could see at the time, but now, several months on, they are
sprouting up everywhere....in my borders, in between cracks in concrete, in
between paving slabs, in gravel, and anywhere else I missed. I have been
constantly picking out the seedlings evertime I go outside when I see them
sprouting.
Is there any quick kill for these seedlings or do I just have to carry on
picking out? Also has anywhere else had a similar problem either now or in
the past?

We've had them here for forty four years.

You're doing the right thing by picking them out, it's what we've always
done when we see them. It's better if you don't leave them until they have
several characteristic leaves because they are harder to pull out then.

Ash is a worse problem. We felled our ash tree several years ago and
seedlings still appear and are the devil to get out when they're a few
inches high. Horse chestnut seedlings are also difficult when they're older.

These three are very common trees - simply because they're successful. I
doubt that Man will ever overcome them. If he does, I hope I'm not around.

I suppose you could use chemicals for a quick kill but they're not such a
problem really. If you can see them you pull them. If you can't see them how
do you know where to kill them?

Search and Destroy is only acceptable for barbers :-) Pity it's not
suitable for some humans ... people are worse than trees.

Mary

Old 20-05-2008, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob H wrote:

I can only assume it is due to the long winter and winds we had that my
gardens etc were absolutely covered in the dammed pods.

I think this year has been a particularly good year for them for some
reason. We have a big sycamore overhanging the back of our garden, and
its progeny have been coming up by the hundreds this spring. Our
neighbour has an area covered with bark, which was covered with the
things.

Is there any quick kill for these seedlings or do I just have to carry
on picking out? Also has anywhere else had a similar problem either now
or in the past?

They don't seem particularly hard to pull up by hand, so I'm content to
get them as and when I'm weeding anyway.

Peter