Old 21-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Registered User

Default Rabbits, rabbits everywhere

Garden being overrun with rabbits. Not long moved here and had problems getting anything to establish due to wind. Took advice and have planted beech, juniper, heather and holly.

Were growing away nicely and now holly all nipped off at base, same with young beech. Heather been 'trimmed' back to about 2" high. Juniper ok but I'd like a bit of variety.

Any ideas?
Old 22-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind'n'stone View Post
Garden being overrun with rabbits. Not long moved here and had problems getting anything to establish due to wind. Took advice and have planted beech, juniper, heather and holly.

Were growing away nicely and now holly all nipped off at base, same with young beech. Heather been 'trimmed' back to about 2" high. Juniper ok but I'd like a bit of variety.

Any ideas?
Pastry overcoats? :-)
Old 22-05-2008, 01:02 AM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

[quote=wind'n'stone;793486]Garden being overrun with rabbits. Not long moved here and had problems getting anything to establish due to wind. Took advice and have planted beech, juniper, heather and holly.

Were growing away nicely and now holly all nipped off at base, same with young beech. Heather been 'trimmed' back to about 2" high. Juniper ok but I'd like a bit of variety.

you may want to consider constructing a two foot high fence around the vegetable garden out you can use poultry wire. this way you can keep them out.
you can also sprink vinegar or hot pepper flakes around your plants
Old 22-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
Pastry overcoats? :-)
- now there's an idea. Just need to persuade them to jump in the oven!!

I am surrounded by fields - haven't managed to get round to making a veg patch yet, this is my first spring here. Garden very exposed and I'm trying to get up a windbreak.

Will check out the links tho' - thanks
Old 22-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered User

noticed loads of responses on the azelias thread??

Anyways - I can look out the window and count about 15. Found three burrow holes on the bank in among the heather yesterday (now blocked up)

Guess if I can see this many there is probably a similar number hdden away. Cat has brought home couple of dead youngsters but don't think he is going to be effective as a full time rabbiter.

Going to the game fair in July, might ask the ferret guys there if they are interested.

I have a rabbit net fence at the back which is dug down about 12", but not bent out. Honestly can't be bothered uprooting it and starting over. Problem is surrounded by our own fields and it is impossible to keep it all rabbit proof.