Old 22-05-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?)

Folks

After trying to respool the line god knows how many times I have given up. The Flymo is destined for
freecycle.

Does anyone have any advice for a good quality strimmer that is *easy* to respool with new line?
I don't want to spend more than £100 if possible, and an electric motor will do for my garden.

It needs to get through some fairly serious patches of nettles & docks, and also be able to work up
to the base of stone walls.

I had a look at the Bosch and Ryobi machines and the 1000 watt Ryobi (with blade and line heads)
looks good.

Any advice or recommendation's gratefully received -

Thanks - Adam

Old 22-05-2008, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks

After trying to respool the line god knows how many times I have given up. The Flymo is destined for
freecycle.

Does anyone have any advice for a good quality strimmer that is *easy* to respool with new line?
I don't want to spend more than £100 if possible, and an electric motor will do for my garden.

It needs to get through some fairly serious patches of nettles & docks, and also be able to work up
to the base of stone walls.

I had a look at the Bosch and Ryobi machines and the 1000 watt Ryobi (with blade and line heads)
looks good.

Remember that a 1000 watt machine will be relatively heavy. I have
two strimmers, a tiny B&D Reflex that is possible to use with one hand
and a larger (500 watt I think) Bosch which has detachable wheels.
Between them they do most of the work I need a strimmer for (we have 9
acres, so it's quite a lot!).

I find that the B&D in particular is good for close to fence and patio
strimming, being smaller and less powerful than the Bosch it seems
much less liable to snapping the strimmer line and/or wearing it down
at a prodigious rate.

We did have a much bigger strimmer/brush cutter but I found it too
heavy to use for a long time (which I need to do sometimes because of
the size of our land, long fences, etc.).

--
Chris Green
Old 22-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered User

After a similar falling out with the old B&D strimmer we now have two.

The Bosch Accutrim cordless battery strimmer (ART26) is great as it does not use line at all but little plastic blades which are more robust and do a good job on most weeds.

We also have a Ryobi petrol strimmer (PBC3046YB) which is great for heavy jobs. It has the option of a rotor blade (not good in stoney areas) or a dual line feed which is easy to renew once you get the hang of it.

The Ryobi was suggested to us by the local nursery (they don't sell equipment) who said they usually only buy them or mountfield. We have a mountfield petrol mower which is v reliable but don't know anyone with a strimmer.

Hope this helps